Coopers Community

Coopers Ginger

kieran

1x Coopers Ginger extract

1kg dextrose

7 days fermentation, started slowish but was a trooper. Fermenting temps ranged from 20C-24C.

Nice and spicy, but I really think that its far too sweet. Top off a long neck and you can feel the alcohol on an empty stomach.. but if you did the alcohol free version you'd be easily mistaken for drinking yet another coke-branded softie or sorts. Did I do anything wrong here, so that I'm getting the wrong impression?

You may find a slightly different flavour profile if you use 1kg of Raw Sugar.

But apart from that...some people say it is too sweet but most 99% make comment that it tastes just like they remember it was like in the "good old days".

yes, I noticed the "raw sugar" on the label, and had the dextrose so just went with it. Next time I'll try the sugar, since its all we use in the house anyway (we're an anti-white sugar house really, apart from cooking).

Alas, I guess I'm too young to have been around in "the good old days", but I'm just wondering is there anything that can be done to back the sweetness off a tad?

Could always make your own from scratch.

Try this recipe. I haven't made it, but it comes from a reliable source:

Ingredients

3 large pieces of ginger (about a kilo)

1 cinnamon stick

10 cloves

500g light crystal malt (I assume he means light malt)

1kg dextrose

Rehydrated wine yeast

Method

Run the ginger through a food processor then put every thing in a pot with five litres of water and boil with the lid on for an hour. After the boil, add 10 litres of cool boiled water and pitch yeast when it is at the right temp. I left all the ingredients in the fermenter until I racked it into the second one (probably 3 days). I primed the whole thing for bottling by racking a second time and adding the correct amount of dextrose.

I ended up with nineteen bottles of excellent ginger wine / beer. I don't know what the alcohol content was but it kicked arse! The cloves probably had something to do with that. I used cloves in a stout for the first time about four years ago and I overdid it. Two bottles and I didn't want to get off my chair. For hours. Cloves are a natural local anaesthetic, you can use it for tooth ache and stuff like that apparently. Well, it has more of a "general" effect when taken internally, in conjunction with alcohol at least.

I'm always happy to give it a go.. but after trying the brigalow ginger before (and enjoyed it a fair bit, I must say) I wanted to give the coopers a go, as I heard they put a lot of work into it. I'm just a bit disappointed that I think they spoilt it by overdoing it on the sweetness. It has a sharp gingerness which I really like, but I think the saccharin or whatever they're using to sweeten (avoiding fermentation) is fouling the flavor for me. Obviously others are liking it.. but as I say, after having a beer and going to this, its like drinking a cup of sugar disolved in 200ml of water (well not quite, but after a beer, you know). :) As an avid coopers' supporter, I thought I would give some constructive feedback so they are aware atleast. I'm sure that they designed it intentionally to be like this, and maybe I'm better off doing my own version if other hb'ers are quite happy with the ginger k&k. :)

Archived