Coopers Community

site is quiet

rossm

G'Day brewers/drinkers,

It seems the site is pretty quiet lately, I recently discovered another beer site, not so brand specific of course, but they seem to get a lot more postings than I see here lately, is it just because it's so close to the end of the festive season or are we losing interest in Coopers? I'm not!!! in fact I am still a faithful Coopers man,(I love the stuff) in fact a little too much sometimes! Just a matter of inerest, I am building a brewing room in my backyard, I have aquired some insulated panels, poured a slab and am about ready to start building. I intend to air condition it so I will have good temerature control for brewing and conditioning, as you can appreciate it is a fairly major job here in the Alice!

Maybe you might think about putting a general discussion section in the forum,

just a thought,

Keep on brewing and keep on posting,

Ross Magnay

G'Day Ross it has been quiet here! I'll be putting down a Coopers stout soon and have a pale ale going off in the brewing fridge, I think it's going to blow it's top! All I used was the dried yeast, I tried to make a starter from a bottle but it is still going very slow three days later. I will have to work on my starter technique. Your brewing room sounds great mate! I have just moved from the North West of WA and something like that would be great there, as it is I'm now in Brisbane and under the house seems to work fine with a brewing fridge.

Tristan

G'day again Brewers,

I have been a bit busy lately so the brewing room still hasn't advanced. I have ordered the flashings, purchased the A/C, got the panels out of storage and on site and hope to make a start on construction this weekend. The basic specifications are, It will be a cube, 2.4m to suit panel sizes, it will be air conditioned, have running water and of course light and power. (I am an electrical contractor.) The panels are 50mm thick Styrene sandwiched between two sheets of colourbond, the same as frige panels, only they use these to build transportable temporary accomodation. I have layed a concrete slab then I will simply tek screw the panels together, install a door, a/c, power and water, some shelves and a couple of stainless laundry troughs and presto, we have a brewing room!

I'll Keep you informed with the progress and send a couple of photos when it is finished.

Ross

• 4 weeks later...

i get your angle too, Rod. I made a helpful post just recently only to find it deleted..(?!) guess the mods dont understand sarcastic humour when its entwined in a post. Also the lack of posts is a dissapointment I must agree, grumpies atleast has a bustling forum where there is a lot of discourse about homebrewing which is great and really helpful. I guess when you pay for something you expect to get something back for it.. the gift is always cool, but about the only tangible thing available for some members who cant make the most of it by attending club nights, etc. I dont know but I find the discounts thing a bit useless really. I'm still a member and will remain to be one.. but I'll just keep an eye on things, I'm a bigtime coopers banner waver wherever I go in melbourne, so that will never change. but yes, for those who get little more than the gift, there isn't much else offering in the stakes of membership with a forum that is relatively slow compared to some others?

oh yeah, forgot the 10% cc discount at the store, that is a bonus :)

Kieran and others,

as you know, we keep the message board as a "members only" site...I guess it's up to our members to get on the forum and post.

You are welcome to throw ideas at us for improving our club. All ideas will be considered.

Reading various threads, it would appear that a key issue is the 'gift' (when clothing) is sometimes useless because of size issues.

A simple solution is to invite people to submit size requests - maybe an option under the user profile? Don t recall it being there already. And a tear off reply slip in the newsleeter for those who dont have the internet. That way the gift will be approporiate and much happiness will abound.

Maybe a push for using the forum in the newsletter as well - an ad for it?

My main bug with the membership is that the discount/s are pretty well useless to me.

The 10% discount at the coopers store is of no value, because any discount is more than eaten up by postage/freight costs. I bought my last lot of supplies from K-Mart, and on a $70 purchase saved over $25 on the Coopers price (even after discount!)

There has been one club night in Melbourne since I joined, and I found out about it a week after it happened! So the club nights are fairly much a waste.

I must admit, however, that I do get very good usage from the forums.

I joined the Club in the hope of making some friends with a similar interest (brewing). Unfortunately, other than one or two casual exchanges here in the forums that hasn't happened either.

Geez Barfly ya makin me weep . :cry: :cry:

Agree with you about discounts and club nights but the forum has been useful for a few things about brewing techniques. One thing thats got me puzzled is lack of use of clear glass and screw top bottles as I use them both and have had NO trouble. 8) 8)

How did you get on with the coloured caps ? , as long as ya don't barrack for Collingwood I might be able to post you some and renew your faith in the mighty Coopers Club. :wink: :wink:

Possible solutions for barfly's 2 issues ;

1. Getting info about club nights:

- ads in newsletter and send flyers out (as is done already I understand- certainy we get mailed flyers in Adelaide).

- consider sending emails to all members in the relevant State.

2. Actually meeting fellow brewers:

- get them to club nights (see above!)

- promote a sort of 'master brewing class' or group. A simple get together organised on the forum by members themselves (at a pub I would suggest :-). Maybe Coopers could help with a promo in the newletter, gauging demand.

Cheers

Will

they all sound like bloody good ideas really. As for club nights, indeed. I was in melbourne only for a few weeks when the melbourne clubnight was on - and I had no idea that it was on as I hadn't checked in here or received any other notification. :cry: email contact is a must there I reckon, that can be the springboard to a few homebrewing gigs, etc.

Barfly, I have a mate from Adelaide who's here in Melb now, he's not a coopers club member but a very experienced (advanced) home brewer who's basically taught himself from the "Complete Joy of Homebrewing" and made his own equipment. We made a Little Creatures Pale Ale from all grain and it has come up an absolute pearler.. (tasting before racking and dry hopping tells me this)..

I'm sure we could get a few more interested parties aswell and put on a bit of a show, with a bit of tasting. In the last 4 weeks I've done:

1x Australian Pale Ale (ready this wednesday ++)

1x Lager (my german housemate (his first homebrew) did this one, finished last week - didnt rack but 1st glass is brilliant, yeast comes through in the 2nd/3rd glasses if not pouring carefully)

1x LCPA (racking now)

1x Coopers Ginger beer (just started yesterday)

so I'll be well stocked shortly.. I also have a bit of Dr. Tims in the cupboard that I managed to smuggle back from Adelaide through hand luggage.. so if you havent had any, you can give it a try :)

oh yeah, I'm with gazza - if you're a collingwood supporter, all the above is cancelled.. :P :wink:

Paul.

Two things.

Firstly, I agree with the late (sometimes after-the-fact notice) about the club nights, at least here in Melbourne. With some of them, I've not found out about them until just a few days or so before the event, which makes it hard to arrange work, etc, around it.

Secondly, have you ever thought about making the forum available to anyone, but only allowing members to post (i.e. visitors could look but not post)? This might allow people to get information about homebrewing, and also see what they're missing by not being a club member,

Just some thoughts.

Gazza - sorry mate. I couldn't forego my mighty magpies for anything - not even colored coopers caps! I haven't been able to find any here in Melbourne tho. I asked at the local Harris Scarfe and they looked at me like I had 3 heads - lol !!

Maybe Coopers could make some white ones then I could have the black & white colors on my beer! :twisted:

Jezza's cousin ?? Must make life interesting .

Fair dinkum it don't matter much to me I like them all to varying degrees . Played footy in country SA from about 10 til I was 45 so have only ever watched VFL/AFL on telly.In fact the only two times I have been to the G was to watch Manchester United play Australia and to march in the opening ceremony for the World Masters when I played Baseball for Port Adelaide. Maybe now I will get over there to watch a game when the tide is on the dodge and the fishing is on the quiet side.

Archived