Coopers Community

To the lady brewers

Ramjet

Just a curious question or two here, addressed to the fairer members of our 'brethren'(Now that's a contradiction in itself).

Firstly, a huge welcome -- it's wonderful to see some of my favourite people here. [biggrin] I'm assuming you're here for one of four reasons, but I'd be interested if your reason is something else. [smile]

(a) You're into home brewing yourself, and like me, just want to learn as much as you can;

(b) You're the brewer because your other half is away/too busy/too pissed/too incompetent to do it himself;

© You want to learn the jargon, so you can tell when he's snowing you with techy lingo, and piling the bulls**t on a bit thickly; or

(d) you're in a relationship with a beer-appreciator, and want to do a brew as a surprise, to: (1) get some brownie points; (2) shame him into doing it; or (3) demonstrate that brewing a beer is not confined to the rocket-science blokey matey kind of macho thing.

For me, I can't imagine my better half offering to 'do the next batch', but one of our neighbours once put beer-brewing on the same level as bread-making or cooking the family meal, and was happy to do it while hubby was busy outside doing 'tractor things'. And my other neighbours - well he was a dab hand at sewing -- but a more Aussie bloke you'd never meet!)

So my lady friends - I'm curious. What's your story?

• 1 month later...

Hi Ramjet. It has been more than a month since you posted your question, but I see no one else has answered. Maybe there aren't any other female forum members? In any case, I just saw your post. For me it is partly your "a" reason: I make beer and just want to learn as much as I can. I have a science background and the science of brewing appeals to me. I find yeast fascinating: the different varieties, all the compounds they make, how yeast can make beer, wine, bread. The other reason I brew beer is to save money; I am not a fan of big brewery lagers and unfortunately craft brewed and imported dark ales aren't in the budget.

As for your other possible reasons, please don't take this the wrong way Ramjet, but they make a lot of assumptions and are rather male centric. Maybe that is why more women are not part of the forum? My other half is a woman, not a man. She does not make beer and that is fine with me; I am not trying to score brownie points with her, surprise her, or shame her into taking over the beer-making chores. If she developed an interest in making beer, I would not stop myself. We would have to see if we would make beer together or if she would have her batches and I mine. lol

BTW, I am Canadian, not an Aussie.

PS, My straight mother-in-law, who doesn't use the internet, has been making beer with a kit and a kilo for something like 30 years; she does it to save money.

Hi Christina, Welcome to the Forum!

I think Roger was trying to reach to women with this post. I agree, it comes off a little awkward.

We're all here to learn and laugh from and with one and other. We all try to keep things light and we are always trying to make a joke with each other when we can get one in.

We primarily talk about beer but sometimes we stray from this and talk about other things of our interests. Usually about sport, fishing or our better halves (SWMBO). These are pretty much all we think about around.rolleyes.

BTW, I'm from Canada, too and my favourite kit is the OS Real ale kit. It make a hell of a Oaked IPA!smile

please don't take this the wrong way Ramjet' date=' but they make a lot of assumptions and are rather male centric. [/quote']

Hi Christina

Thank you so much for responding!!! And yes, I was deliberately prococative.

In a previous life, I was a TV interviewer, and one of the techniques I used was to ask the sort of questions that viewers might ask if they had the opportunity. It doesn't mean I agreed with their viewpoints, but it was a way of reaching out and engaging with them.

So no, I don't take any offence in the slightest, and I'm delighted to count you in among the ranks of HB'ers. As the weeks went by with no response, I thought our membership was composed entirely of 'chaps'. Glad that it's not. smile

my Misses helps me out most days..

she also bottles and caps the brews for me while im away.

she is yet to do a brew by herself.. but i believe she would be ok with it.

she has spent a couple afternoons in Philbo's shed with phil and I nattering away on an all grain.

one day she may surprise me while im away on a work turn.. i hope!

Welcome to the forum Christina - Don't be put off by the excessive testosterone....that usually decreases dramatically when Hairy is offline biggrin

Chad's Big Island IPA sounds nice....at a glance it looks almost exactly like something I used to make except I didn't have oak chips in mine...and I called mine Lagoon IPA.

This talk of IPA's is making me homesick (I'm in the land of Singha at the moment)....I need to go back to Australia for a nice cold....American...IPA love

Chad's Big Island IPA sounds nice....at a glance it looks almost exactly like something I used to make except I didn't have oak chips in mine...and I called mine Lagoon IPA.

This talk of IPA's is making me homesick (I'm in the land of Singha at the moment)....I need to go back to Australia for a nice cold....American...IPA love

That's cool, Muddy! You should try it again sometime with the oak. There is something about the oak and NS that just makes this one...

I'm curious about the name of your's. Why lagoon?

my Misses helps me out most days..

she also bottles and caps the brews for me while im away.

she is yet to do a brew by herself.. but i believe she would be ok with it.

she has spent a couple afternoons in Philbo's shed with phil and I nattering away on an all grain.

one day she may surprise me while im away on a work turn.. i hope!

Mine does too' date=' we do all the brewing and bottling and consuming of these beers together. Last brew day she even had a go at milling some of the grains. She isn't on the forum though. I have a few experimental bittering hop + single flavour/aroma hop brews planned over the next few months to try out different hops so she (and I too really) can get an idea of what each of them bring to the brew. 2014 shall be a kickarse year for brewing methinks![img']w00t[/img]

• 4 weeks later...

she bottled my last few batches.. and no issues at all!

but im brewing on my own tomorrow.. as she is working. but she will be here at bottling time i think..

i reckon it wont be long till she brews one while im away... i leave my coopers forum logged in incase she wants to read up on things ;)

Archived