Coopers Community

Sugar For Coopers European Lager

JamieK1

Hi,

So I have never brewed beer before only cider.

I got bought a Coopers European Lager tub and am getting ready to use it.

On the instructions it doesn't go into any details about the sugar in primary. I take it there is no sugar in the mix so I have to add it?

If so how much should I add for 1.7kg tub?

Appreciate your help [roll]

Thanks

Hey Jamie

Welcome to the forum.

Now that you've moved on from making cider you should consider cutting down on plain sugar and replacing it with Light Dry Malt or at least Coopers BE2 (Beer Enhancer 2).

500g for a mid strength and 1kg for a full strength, you should be able to get it from the same place you got the lager.

Watch the temperature of this brew, for best results you want it to be 12'C - do not go above 16'C. If that is an issue save it for winter and get yourself a Coopers Original Series Draught and brew at 20'C (24'c max).

Hi,

So I have never brewed beer before only cider.

I got bought a Coopers European Lager tub and am getting ready to use it.

On the instructions it doesn't go into any details about the sugar in primary. I take it there is no sugar in the mix so I have to add it?

If so how much should I add for 1.7kg tub?

Appreciate your help [roll]

Thanks

Hi Jamie, you're right the instructions are a little basic, however it does say to dissolve contents of can and other fermentable sugars with 2 litres of boiling water, so it is implied that you choose which other fermentable sugars; it's really a matter of personal preference what sugar and how much, but as a ballpark, usually to get a good balance you'd use 1 kg to get a mid to full strength beer.

You'll also find if you look on the Euro Lager can (in the grey box within the red description box), that it's recommended to use 1kg of Brew Enhancer 2. As Scottie says, you should be able to purchase this where you got your Euro Lager. BE2 is just Coopers blend of Dextrose, Light Dry Malt & Maltodextrin; but as stated, it's really up to you; and of course you should only do a Euro Lager if you can ensure you can ferment it in the recommended temp range.

I've been brewing for almost a year, and I have not done a Euro Lager yet, though I have one I am holding onto for when the weather cools or our air conditioning is installed.

You can also consider using an Ale yeast (most other Coopers kits have ale yeast, regardless of what beer type it has on the can).

You could purchase a suitable ale yeast form your local home brew shop if you can't keep the temp down below say 16c.

The Euro Lager is the only Coopers kit brew with a true lager yeast.

You should still be able to make a decent beer with the kit warmer with an ale yeast if it's too hard to wait or to keep it cool enough.

I stand corrected, I knew that the Euro Lager was the only one in the International Series, and there was no lager yeast in the original series, but didn't think of the Thomas Coopers series, as I haven't used any of them yet.

It stands to reason if Coopers do a traditional Pilsener that you would need to use a lager yeast to make it authentic, because a Pilsener is really just a lager with extra hop flavouring; though I know that's over simplifying it.

Yeah these guys are right about watching the temperature. This is the brew I tried to do like a year ago when I had done NO research about ale vs lager yeasts and what temperatures to brew at, and was what made me give up for a year before doing my homework and starting again recently.

I had tried to brew the European Lager in qld summer heat with no temp control. Worked out exactly as you would imagine. Kind of like a dark toffee molasses type pineoclean taste. Delicious.

• 4 months later...

Hi Coolfire - welcome to the forum.

Corn sugar is 100% fermentable, so no contribution to the body and "mouth-feel" of the beer, as it's all converted by the yeast. It'll just increase the alcohol content, but may have a little taste/flavour component. "May" is the key word here.

Maltodextrins are the opposite - almost unfermentable. Therefore no increase in the alcohol level, but it contributes to body and mouthfeel.

From the horses' mouth:

Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 contains dextrose, maltodextrin and Light Dry Malt. The dextrose will ferment out completely with no residual cidery flavours whilst the maltodextrin does not ferment thus improving the body, mouthfeel and head retention. The Light Dry Malt, being 100% pale malt, will further add to the body and increase the malt character of your favourite brew. Great for use with any beer styles where a fuller, maltier flavour is preferred.

(Cooper's BE2 is 500 g dextrose, and 250 g each of maltodextrin and light DME, also called LDM -same thing. I use the abbrev. DME for dried malt extract, and LME for liquid, but you'll see DME and LDM used interchangeably])

Some guys just add 1 kg of light DME to their 1.7 kg tin of Cooper's pre-hopped concentrate, and get great results.

Choices, choices...

2 question for the sugar

1. Can I use corn sugar?

2. If I buy the enhancer 2 so I won't need any sugar right? Another word the enhancer is the replacement for sugar

Thank you

G'day coolfire' date=' Ramjet is spot on with his advice, my question is witch Lager are you brewing?

Original Series? Original Series... really an Ale or European Lager...? a true to type lager. wink

Cheers.

Thanks for the replies

I bought the European lager.

I am a beginner with home brewing.

I brewed the European larger already with corn sugar and it stopped at 1.018 for the hydrometer read and it stopped fermentation.

I read the instructions be carefully and saw the recommendation to use enhancer 2.

Is it converted to beer for hydrometer read 1.018 or 1.020? if not what should I do?

Howdy coolfire, and welcome to your journey called brewing.

I don't want to discourage you from doing the Euro Lager kit, but there are a few things I've learnt, predominantly from the reprobates in here. Doing a true lager, like your kit, really needs a way to carefully control the brewing temperature. Many (or maybe most people) use a brewing fridge with a thermostat to carefully control the temp. There are many of these, and depending on your skills you can wire up one yourself, like an STC-1000 for well under $50, or get one that is ready to just plug your fridge into like this Mangrove Jacks one for under $70.

If you're all ready to go, this Green Neck Lager recipe is a nice easy start for your kit, or slightly more advanced is the Oktoberfest. They are really nice beers if you follow Coopers suggestions in the recipe.

Cheers and good luck

Archived