Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? no.3

Canadian Eh!L

I apologise if I've thrown "the fear of death into you" Ben 10. My experience with the yeast did not flatter my interest in ever using it again. That's not to say it won't produce a great beer for you.

I do stand by my comments regarding your hydrometer readings prior to bottling though, especially with this yeast. [rightful]

Good luck with the brew.

Anthony.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given the range at my LHBS and the commitment that I have made to give them my patronage I'll probably use it again. My only issue was I struggled to rinse it the last time I used it and the boffins at AHB advised me to get of it.

Anyway my LHBS stocks:

US05

S04

S23

WB06

Some very nice looking recipes on the surface there from Hairy' date=' Philbo & Ben 10.[/quote']

Thanks Lusty. I will probably just scoop the top of the brew and bottle that then [wink]

Ok.....chalk another one up in the "plus" column Hairy! [lol]

You do know that you are confusing the newer members of the forum with these types of comments? [innocent]

I'll now be "hunting" your comments much more closely in an attempt to square the ledger! [wink]

P.S. I do really like your most recent recipe post. [cool] I have never understood why you don't post your recipes more often on the forum, since the day I joined. [unsure]

Cheers,

Anthony.

I'm still undecided. I've used it 3 or 4 times. It seems to always fall a little short of where I think it should, not that I know too much. Tried raising temp and rousing it, never any change. Just in case, I usually prime at a lower rate, which usually suits the style anyhoo. For those who have experienced it stalling, when did it nod off for you?

I've used it a few times too. I never had any issue with it stalling though. The porter I fermented with it was[love]

I haven't used it since though. But I have started taking a sample tube of the fermenting beer on about day 3 when it's all up and going, and leaving it out in the ambient room temp to ferment out. It's a crude way of doing a fast ferment test I guess, but it gives me an idea of what FG to expect from the main batch. The SNPA one finished at 1010 in the tube, and the main batch was 1011 so I was confident it had finished, as the tube was about 6 degrees warmer than the main batch in the fridge so it would have read lower anyway.[cool]

Some left over hops, some ideas from other people, some dark malts, some experimentation, hopefully some big flavour that is not too over the top.

Recipe: Dark Cyde IPA

Style: American IPA

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Boil Size: 18.53 l

Post Boil Volume: 16.64 l

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 l

Bottling Volume: 19.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.062 SG

Estimated Color: 45.8 EBC

Estimated IBU: 58.6 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

3.50 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) ( Grain 1 65.4 %

0.25 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 2 4.7 %

0.10 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (750.6 EBC) Grain 3 1.9 %

1.50 kg Wheat Malt Extract (Coopers) (65.0 EBC) Extract 4 28.0 %

10.00 g Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 14.0 IBUs

10.00 g Galaxy [14.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 10.9 IBUs

0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -

20.00 g Cascade [6.70 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 4.9 IBUs

20.00 g Centennial [10.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 7.4 IBUs

10.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 4.4 IBUs

10.00 g Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 11 5.1 IBUs

20.00 g Cascade [6.70 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 12 2.7 IBUs

20.00 g Centennial [10.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 13 4.1 IBUs

10.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 14 2.4 IBUs

10.00 g Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 15 2.8 IBUs

1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 16 -

15.00 g Cascade [6.70 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 17 0.0 IBUs

15.00 g Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 18 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body

Total Grain Weight: 5.35 kg

----------------------------

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time

Mash In Add 10.04 l of water at 73.1 C 66.7 C 60 min

Mash Out Add 5.62 l of water at 93.7 C 75.6 C 10 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 6.72 l water at 75.6 C

Notes:

------

A busy day at the Beerlust brewery today.

23 litres of HTB Steam beer added into the brew bank stocks, & put down an easy TC Traditional Draught kit based midstrength beer for my father using some re-activated Coopers Commercial Ale yeast.

I took Hairy's hop thoughts suggestions into consideration, & used some Centennial. I brought a small amount of LDM & water to the boil, then removed it from the heat source & added 20gms of Centennial for a flameout steep for 30mins. Then cooled that & strained it into the FV with the remainders of 250gms of LDM, 250gms of dextrose, & 250gms of Maltodextrin.

OG = approx. 1.035

FG = approx. 1.011

Final bottled ABV = approx. 3.5%

I've not tasted the pure flavours from this kit as yet, so despite the very bland recipe, I'm looking forward to the end beer it produces.

Cheers,

Anthony.

I took Hairy's hop thoughts suggestions into consideration, & used some Centennial.

I have a lovely AG Pale that used Centennial, my fav tipple at the moment, lovely hop...

Built a golden ale with cascade today ... looking forward to it [smile]

Is that a Smurto variant?

I have a lovely AG Pale that used Centennial, my fav tipple at the moment, lovely hop...

Hey there Tennyson

How long's this one been in the bottle? I am curious as I want to bring my partial EB on line, but its only been in the keg for 4 weeks and I don't want to sell myself short. But I only have one keg drinking at the moment.

How long's this one been in the bottle? .

Bottled on the 20th.

Hey Ben

That is a quick turn around, glad to find you're enjoying it. I'm going to tap the EB keg tonight and keg by Golden Bitter and my Pils. The lagering fridge has been struggling to get under 4'C, the Pils has been 4 weeks in the cube and I'd like to leave it longer but alas I need the beer [innocent]

Hi Scottie.

...The lagering fridge has been struggling to get under 4'C...

So why don't you do what every other Taswegian does when their fridge packs up, & throw everything in it out on the back lawn for a nice cold temperature! [tongue]

[biggrin]

Cheers,

Anthony.

A trip to Adelaide this weekend and I have the ingredients for the next 2 brews-

Fruit Salad Pale Ale &

OS Draught with Amber Liquid Malt with Centennial & Nelson Sauvin hops

Time to replenish the stocks [biggrin]

I may have to give that one a go.

I think I saw someone in another thread say they thought Casade wasn't very powerful, so I'll let you know if I think you should try bigger additions.

I think it may have been me.

"Not powerful" may not be the best phrase but I think it is a hop that is a lot harder to over do such as galaxy or Nelson.

...OS Draught with Amber Liquid Malt with Centennial & Nelson Sauvin hops...

A sneaky little Celebration Ale Greg? [ninja]

I know both you & PhilbyT will enjoy the Fruit Salad Ale. [love]

Are you both using the re-activated CCA yeast? [unsure]

Ben 10, the hop schedule in that IPA of yours is a BEAST! [cool]

Could do with a little more dry hopping though! [devil] [biggrin]

Good luck with the brews fellas.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Archived