Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? no.3

Canadian Eh!L

A English Bitter [unsure]

Only my second Partial without a Coopers can as a base.

1.8 kg Maris Otter

700g Munich Malt

700g Dry Wheat Malt

250g Medium Crystal (120EBC)

14 litre boil

35g Challenger @ 60 minutes

30g Amarillo @ 15 minutes

20g Amarillo @ flame out (1minute)

Wyeast 1768 (3rd Gen)

If this recipe rings a bell its because I can't brew an AG DSGA and I don't want to do an extract or concentrate DSGA. Couldn't find a partial so had a crack at my own recipe.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Scottie.

If this recipe rings a bell its because I can't brew an AG DSGA and I don't want to do an extract or concentrate DSGA. Couldn't find a partial so had a crack at my own recipe.

DSGA = Dr. Smurto's Golden Ale? [unsure]

If it is, this thread is what you need to be looking at...

Dr. Smurto's Golden Ale History, Evolution & Musings

Scroll down to his "Award winning version" recipe & do the math Scottie. That's the one you are looking for. You're smart enough to do any conversions necessary to adapt it to your brewing techniques. [wink]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Two in the cube back to back brew day. I didn't name the brews just threw them together without software.

Brew 1 20l

4.5kg Aussie pale malt

200g Crystal

200g Wheat

50g Carafa 2

3kg of Fresh roasted pumpkin

20g Northern brewer FWH

25g NB 60min

25g Willamette 15min

Brew 2 20l

4.5kg Aussie pale

1kg Munich

250g Crystal

200g Wheat

25g NB FWH

50g Columbus 60

50g Columbus 30

50g Cascade 15

50g Cascade 0

Took about 7 hours but had the pumpkin to roast and had to make a new base for grain mill so not bad going. Ill probably just throw a pack of US05 at both of them and dry hop brew 2 with more cascade. I have another pumpkin which I will roast\\mash then add tot he fermenter for brew 1

Hi GrahamB8.

Nice looking Pumpkin Ale & a very serious looking IPA type brew! [cool]

I'm about to start using some Columbus hops in some up & coming brews. What is your view of the hop for bittering & what it delivers at aroma points in the brewing schedule?

I'd certainly be interested in your thoughts.

Good luck with both brews.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Its an awesome hop mate and the character carries through when used for bittering. I would be cautious about the amount used for late hoping as it is aggressive much like Simcoe, its really nice paired with other 'C' aroma hops.

Its got some of that American piney character and I would say it is somewhere between Cascade and Simcoe.

Scroll down to his "Award winning version" recipe & do the math Scottie. That's the one you are looking for. You're smart enough to do any conversions necessary to adapt it to your brewing techniques. [wink]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hey Anthony

Ned('s Mate) reckons I'm getting too smart for my own good.

Anyway I'm not far off the numbers you linked.

52% MO

20% Munich

20% Wheat

7% Crystal

Challenger bittering addition is somewhere between 30 and 35 IBU.

Brew Day!!

I'm headed out today for another stint of work for a couple of weeks in the bush. So I decided to use my time while I'm away wisely and put down a quick Kit & bits brew. This one is as close as I could get to Cooper's Best Extra Stout

Coop's Best Extra Stout

1.7Kg OS Stout

1.5Kg DME (light)

.1Kg Crystal 80L

.1Kg Black Patent Malt

.1Kg Roasted Barley

2L Cooper's commercial yeast starter Pitched @ 22C

21L water

We'll see you back here in a couple of weeks[biggrin]

Ginger Ninja going down today.

1 kg ginger (so expensive, glad I could get half from the garden)

1 kg Dex

1/2 kg Brown Sugar

2 limes - juice and zest

US-05.

Just opened the fermenting freezer and smelt the Pale I put down a few days ago. Holy bat turds batman, smells so freaking good I want to drink it now.

Citra Pale Ale

Ingredients\t

Coopers Pale Ale

\tBE2

\t250g Medium Crystal

\t90g Citra

\t

Method\tCrystal in 10 litres @ 65\xb0 for 60 minutes

\t10 Citra @ 20

\t25 Citra @ 10

\t25 Citra @ 5

\t30 Citra Dry Hop

not brewing but... just tried my IPA steeped with crystal and hoppped up with citra and centenial, and also my unreal ale with styrian gouldings and some chocolate malt.

both are...

DELICIOUS!

and best thing is my girl actually bottled the IPA up for me while i was away for work!

she did a great job all by herself!

Philbo... i need your weisbeer recipe you brewed last month when i was out there.. as ill stick it down tomorrow!

Its an awesome hop mate and the character carries through when used for bittering. I would be cautious about the amount used for late hoping as it is aggressive much like Simcoe, its really nice paired with other 'C' aroma hops.

Its got some of that American piney character and I would say it is somewhere between Cascade and Simcoe.

Thanks for the info Graham, I'll definitely be picking some up next time I'm at my LHBS (if it's available [unsure] ).

Hey Anthony

Ned('s Mate) reckons I'm getting too smart for my own good.

Anyway I'm not far off the numbers you linked.

52% MO

20% Munich

20% Wheat

7% Crystal

Challenger bittering addition is somewhere between 30 and 35 IBU.

Experimentation in brewing is a healthy thing Scottie. Much wisdom is gained from it. [cool]

I'm glad your numbers are close, that pretty much means you're likely to end up with a very nice beer at the end of it, all things going well. [innocent]

Good luck with the brew.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hi Scottie.

I meant to mention this in my previous post. Your malt ingredient breakdown percentages are actually different than what you have listed above.

1.8 kg Maris Otter 52%

700g Munich Malt 20%

700g Dry Wheat Malt 20%

250g Medium Crystal (120EBC) 7%

For you to accurately list the percentages of your malt bill, the malt additives must be all in the same format (Dry Malt, Liquid Malt, or grain).

As you have 3 grains & one dry malt extract, the quickest way to rectify this, is to convert the Wheat Dry Malt Extract to it's equivalent weight in grain. From DME to Grain conversion divide the DME amount by 0.67. Thus 700gms divided by 0.67 = approx. 1045gms.

Now that all the weights are in grain measurements, you can re-do your percentages...

1.8kg Maris Otter (approx. 47.5%)

700g Munich Malt (approx. 18.5%)

1.045kg (Converted weight) Dry Wheat Malt (approx. 27.5%)

250g Medium Crystal (120EBC) (approx. 6.5%)

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Anthony.

This is usually the time Otto and I have a good chat together. He's usually dragging himself home from the bar at this time or getting off his bus shift.[lol]

Spot on mate.[lol] Although these days when I'm dragging myself home from the bar, it's with SWMBO so there's no faffing about on the interwebs. [wink]

My work shifts normally finish around midnight, I just stay up for a few hours when I get home, have a beer or two and read all the stuff I missed during the work hours. Good way to wind down.[cool]

Also good pick up there Lusty on Scottie's recipe.. I didn't even notice it said dry wheat malt and was wondering what kind of partial it was when it seemed to be all grains in it. [lol] [lol]

decided to brew today. Going to do a basic kit wheat beer for my Partner Kimberely. she is not much of a beer drinker but had originaly thought of producing a cherry beer for her.

after trying Phils "standard" recipe wheat beer last month she has decided this will do her well for summer by the pool

so.. the standard coopers wheat beer kit and kilo will be put down as soon as Beer Belly open up!

http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/how-to-brew/ale/hefeweizen

pitching Danstar Munich yeast.

anyone think of any additions to this recipe that may be good?

contact me on 0415152415 if so.. as im heading off now to pick up the K&K!

cheers Hairy!

ive got some Hallertau hops here too.. maybe 25 grams for a 10 minute boil?

just a thought...

( after steeping grains and added boiled hops and dry hops to my recent brews.. i guss i just wanna add stuff.. and not just pour a can in hehehehe)

Brew day today and on the menu is a Golden Ale. It is a variation of Dr Smurto's Golden Ale.

His latest version uses rye malt but after tasting a few different commercial rye beers I have found that it just doesn't do it for me. It isn't bad but I don't want a whole batch of it. A small addition wouldn't be too bad.

Anyway, this is what I am running with:

3kg Golden Promise

1.7kg Vienna malt

500g Wheat malt

300g Carabohemian

20g Magnum @ 60 minutes

20g Mosaic @ 5 minutes

20g Mosaic @ whirlpool

20g Mosaic - dry hopped

No chilled

23 litres

US-05 yeast

OG - 1053

FG - 1013

Mash @ 67 degrees

IBU - late 30's

It should be a nice one for summer.

Should be nice indeed Hairy. I [love] Mosaic. I'm trying to polish off a few other half-drunk batches before I start smashing mine, but it's hard, as these were perfect at 1 month old.

Just mashed in myself:

97 - Leftovers APA

Grain Bill:

3.090kg (60%) JWM Ale Malt

1.290kg (25%) Munich I

0.510kg (10%) Wheat Malt

0.260kg (5%) Crystal

Mashed @ 67c

10g Pacific Gem (12.8%AA) FWH @ 60mins (still not sold on FWH, but it's easy to chuck my hops in before draining the MT [roll])

5g BrewBrite @ Whirlpool

23g Cascade (6.2%AA) @ Whirlpool

23g Citra (13.9%AA) @ Whirlpool

23g Galaxy (12.3%AA) @ Whirlpool

Aiming for ~35 IBU, but meh.

Will dry hop with some leftover amounts of hops on day 5:

(There may be slightly more/less of each in the bags, so I'll just dump them all in [devil].)

20g Citra

15g Amarillo

11g Mosaic

Fermented with my fave US yeast, 1272, going bonkers in a small activator starter currently. Will decant and pitch into a real wort starter tomorrow.

Last time I threw a left overs brew together it was excellent, so bring it on baby!

After the resounding success of my first AG, time for number two.

Living where I live it is all internet orders, no choice there so I do not have a large range of grains available.

Recipe: Summer Secret

TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Boil Size: 18.00 l

Post Boil Volume: 16.11 l

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Bottling Volume: 21.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.039 SG

Estimated Color: 34.0 EBC

Estimated IBU: 32.3 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

3.50 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) ( Grain 1 85.4 %

0.35 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 2 8.5 %

0.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (236.4 EBC) Grain 3 6.1 %

12.00 g Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 15.8 IBUs

10.00 g Summer (Summer Saaz) [5.50 %] - Boil 15. Hop 5 3.0 IBUs

10.00 g Vic Secret [16.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 8.8 IBUs

0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 7 -

10.00 g Summer (Summer Saaz) [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 Hop 8 1.2 IBUs

10.00 g Vic Secret [16.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 3.5 IBUs

1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 10 -

I will dry hop as well Probably half half V.Secret and Summer.

After the resounding success of my first AG, time for number two.

Living where I live it is all internet orders, no choice there so I do not have a large range of grains available.

Recipe: Summer Secret

TYPE: All Grain

I do like this Tennyson dude.

Hooked and jumping right in and coming up with great names as well. And to top that off your using one of BL's favourite yeasts [lol]

Some very nice looking recipes on the surface there from Hairy, Philbo & Ben 10. [cool]

Please post how they turn out. [cool]

And to top that off your using one of BL's favourite yeasts [lol]

It's highly likely S-04 will never again be used at the Beerlust Brewery. A yeast that attenuates slightly sweet as a natural property, & is prone to stalling.....Yeah gimmee more of that!! NOT!! [annoyed]

On a serious note Ben 10, do monitor your Final Gravity numbers by taking hydrometer readings when you believe the ferment has ended, & you believe you may be close to bottling, when using this yeast. [rightful]

Seriously, good luck with the yeast & the brew. [whistling

Cheers,

Anthony.

On a serious note Ben 10, do monitor your Final Gravity numbers by taking hydrometer readings when you believe the ferment has ended, & you believe you may be close to bottling, when using this yeast. [rightful]

Seriously, good luck with the yeast & the brew. [whistling

Cheers,

Anthony.

Having not used this yeast before, and trying to buy at least SOMETHING from the local beercellar affiliated LHBS, who was out of US-05, I had no choice but to buy this.

I will, of course, pay attention to OG and FG, and will report back how life is going.

Archived