Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? no.3

Canadian Eh!L

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just put together a Coopers Pale Ale.

I added the recommended 1kg of BE2, but also about 350g of Capilano Honey. As I don't want to make too strong a brew I filled to 25 litres.

due to warm ambient temp, pitching temp was 26c.

I'll be adding some Hallertau on the W/E, which should balance the sweetness from the honey. OG was 1.036.

Now have it sitting in a tub with water & ice to cool.

Should be a good one, and a change after 3 batches of Canadian Blonde, I like the Blonde, but can only drink so much of the same thing before I need a change.

Following on from the last thread where I was talking about the syringe trick, I tried it on a couple of beers last night and it worked a treat. Then I decided to do an experiment with a can of Pabst Blue Ribbon, I only poured about half a glass and then drew a full syringe and pumped it back in, it filled the other half with tightly packed bubbles that had that cascading effect that you get with one of those widget cans or the Guinness on tap. Hard to notice this cascading in such a light beer but I'll give it a go on a darker one soon, even if I have to waste a beer it would make for a cool video I reckon. [cool]

I like it, although I don't think it suits every brew. It seems to work better on lower carbed styles. I tried one of my English ales bottled only a week ago tonight, and it's very low on carb still, but the syringe gave it a really nice thick creamy head. It did the same on an APA but I don't think it really suited it. I have noticed it does seem to de-carbonate the beer a bit, so I've been doing it on my over carbed beers as well, just not pumping much back in.

The reason it has the nitro effect is because you're introducing air, which is about 79% nitrogen gas, when drawing the "sample" and pumping it back into the beer. [cool]

But you knew that already, right? [biggrin] [lol]

[lol] Hey Lusty,

I was wondering if someone would pick up on that one.[bandit]

I just though the wheat would go well in this recipe. I am planning to carbonate it quite low so the extra head retention might be needed.

I'm always experimenting. Who knows. It might be just the thing the beer needs.[joyful]

You have to get up pretty early in the morning to get one past me Chad! [lol] Actually about the time Hairy gets up & starts posting most days! [lol]

I admit I had a bit of a giggle when I first saw your recipe because a few of us (including you & I) on the forum had been recently chatting about the wheat malt to do with head development/retention. [wink]

I'm still playing with the amount of wheat malt & CaraPils/CaraHell I'm using for this purpose myself. I have noticed a marked improvement in this area of my poured beer since I began using the wheat malt that I'm now very happy with.

Who knows. It might be just the thing the beer needs.[joyful]

I hope it gives you what you are looking for.

Good luck with the brew.

Cheers,

Anthony.

An industrial chemist like in Breaking Bad?

[lol] I've never seen that show but I suspect I know what type of "chemist" you're referring to there. No, he worked in a packaging company that did soft drink and beer cans and bottles and other things. He was in R&D, they used to distill their own spirits with a fractionating column in the lab there lol.

Brew day today, & over the next few weeks, I'm mainly going to be doing some easy kit & kilo type brews. Today I put down the "Steam Beer" recipe from the How-To-Brew section of the forum.

I used the Cluster hop (it's an option) instead of the Northern Brewer, because I have some. For the grain addition I used 100gms of Medium Crystal & 50gms of CaraPils.

I'm looking forward to seeing what flavours the S-23 lager yeast throws at the Real Ale kit from brewing at this temperature, & what this style of beer actually tastes like as I've never tried a commercial version of the style that I am aware of. [unsure]

An interesting brew on a number of levels from where I sit. [cool]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hi Ben 10.

Is it as red as the pictures?

I assume you mean the Coopers Real Ale kit? [unsure]

If so, then yes it does produce a lovely deeper coloured beer towards that shade, with a good bitterness level typical of many ale style brews.

Cheers,

Anthony.

I'm looking forward to seeing what flavours the S-23 lager yeast throws at the Real Ale kit from brewing at this temperature, & what this style of beer actually tastes like as I've never tried a commercial version of the style that I am aware of. [unsure]

Hey Anthony

I tried one at Tassie's BeerFest, I won't be rushing out to brew it. Really I think that my Oktoberfest was similar, so thinking that my Helles is going to be better than that I've no need. The dude that served me was impressed with my beer knowledge though when I asked him if the beer was a Californian Common [lol]

Hi Scottie. [happy]

I tried one at Tassie's BeerFest' date=' I won't be rushing out to brew it. Really I think that my Oktoberfest was similar, so thinking that my Helles is going to be better than that I've no need.[/quote']

There are good & bad examples in every style of commercial beer available, but I'm hearin' ya. [wink]

That said, PB2 hasn't put up a bad recipe that I have brewed yet, so I'm still looking forward to tasting the brew, if only for my own knowledge on yeasts & yeast temperature aspects. [cool]

The dude that served me was impressed with my beer knowledge though when I asked him if the beer was a Californian Common [lol]

These paid spiel reps fear guys like us that know what we are talking about. I can tell you got a real kick out of stirrin' this guy up! [lol]

Good on ya Scottie. I look forward to enjoying the festival with you next year. [cool]

Cheers,

Anthony.

You have to get up pretty early in the morning to get one past me Chad! [lol] Actually about the time Hairy gets up & starts posting most days! [lol]

Lusty,

You must remember that I live on the other side of the planet. You and the rest of you crazy blokes Downunda' live 19hours in my future. When I start posting is around 9:00am MST. This is approx. 4:00am your time. I have to say that I've never seen you logged on at this time. I guess you'll have to set your alarm and we'll chat over a cup of coffee.[roll] This is usually the time Otto and I have a good chat together. He's usually dragging himself home from the bar at this time or getting off his bus shift.[lol]

Tonight I am going to do a Pale Ale which I've adapted from a recipe I found at my local brew shop.

1 can of TCS Sparkling Ale

1kg of Brew Booster

200g of Crystal Malt

15g of Goldings hops

The original recipe used a Pilsner can (and Ultra boost) but I'm not a huge fan of Pilsner at the best of times. I'll have to wait and see if it's any good I guess. Cheers...

Don't give me too much credit guys, I am just following the instructions & stealing recipes at this stage haha.

With the hops I chucked them in with the grain wort for 10 minutes after I took it off the boil. Then I chucked it in the fermenter just before I put the yeast in. OG = 10.36

It was a decent storm too hey, still frickin 27 degrees in my house though. Way too stuffy. I am going to have to play around with some wet towels/frozen water bottles this week to make sure the brew doesn't get too hot.

Archived