Coopers Community

1056 Wyeast

Anthony C

I was going through all my gear for a brew day on the weekend and discovered the 1056 Wyeast has been activated. My Brewing ingredients were delivered about 2 weeks ago so may have been activated for that long. Will this Wyeast still be useable, or should I just replace it?

Cheers

Christo

Do you mean the nutrient bubble has popped and it has swelled?

Dumb question, but you have kept it in the fridge the whole time right? [crying]

I'd be loathe to chuck it. Let it ferment out in a starter, chill, decant, then taste the spent wort/beer.

If it tastes good, use it.

Do you mean the nutrient bubble has popped and it has swelled?

Dumb question, but you have kept it in the fridge the whole time right? [crying]

I'd be loathe to chuck it. Let it ferment out in a starter, chill, decant, then taste the spent wort/beer.

If it tastes good, use it.

+1

This is what you need to do, I'm betting (99% probability) you will find the yeast is good to go.

Don't chuck it. Even though it wasn't refrigerated, those packs are damn near bullet proof. How friggn' hard can you press down on them when you're trying to break the bubble? The first few I tried I was scared as hell, thinking I'd split the pack for sure.

So nothing nasty will be in there, the only thing to worry about would be viability, and if you activate with a starter, problem solved.

Archived