Coopers Community

2nd batch not fermenting??

SkubaSteev

hey guys, im new to brewing, i did my first batch and it went perfectly

i did the same with the second batch, i used the coopers draught this time round, and its been 4 days and it hasnt even bubbled yet, its been at 22 degrees

i have checked all the problems, like lid not tight enough, everything the instructions said and no sign of fermentation...

any hints? and will this ruin my brew?

cheers

steev

Is there any condensation on the inside of the lid or any sign of foam on top of the beer?

This usually indicates things are going along but the air is escaping somewhere.

While dud yeast is not unheard of, it's not common.

The wort wasn't too hot when you added the yeast, was it?

yeah there is condensation, and foam on top of the beer, so maybe it still is leaking air somewhere, not sure though,

though i did pitch the yeast at 30 degrees though, i guess that was a no no am i right?

as i am in a warm climate, maybe is it a good idea to just use hot water from the tap? is it necessary to add the boiling water at all?

cheers

steev

Hi mate Happy New Year!

My first 3 brews showed no sign of bubbling, I was concerned I even threw out the first brew! But I found out with a little help from Paul that the prob was a poor air lock seal. I fixed the problem with a lot of BLU tack around the seal. Hope this helps, and keep doing your grav checks, this is about the only way to keep an eye on fermentation with a bad seal!

hey wort

cheers and happy new year to you too!!!

thanx for the advice there, it most likely is that problem so i will give that a go for next time and see if it works, thanx for the advice, damn good gettin this sort of help as no one around me knows much about it all

cheers guys :lol:

steev

In any case, your beer is not going to be ruined if the seal is not perfect.

Some homebrewers, particularly in Britain, cover the wort with a tea towel until fermentation is well under way, then remove the cover altogether.

Not that I'm recommending this course of action ... :)

Archived