Coopers Community

When a Keg Blows

Scottie

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

My Vienna Lager just blew. It was meant to lager until late February😂 

All I have left is my Citrillo Pale ale and that must be in the bottom half of the keg. 

Maybe I should go back to work so I stop drinking so much ha ha ha

Work is overrated!

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

Work is overrated!

Extremely overrated but I have had 10 of the last 12 weeks off and my holiday pay is atrocious so I need to go back and earn some money. Unfortunately my annual leave pay is much worse than my normal pay so I get paid less which blows.....

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

My holiday pay is less too because I work broken shifts, but if I was doing normal shifts then it would be higher due to the leave loading. 

In any case, holidays always result in a home brew drought, but maybe next time it won't since I'll have two fermenters going.

Do you guys still get an extra weeks leave for doing broken shifts?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

My 2 experiment kegs, (Real ale, LDME, mosaic 10m boil, cascade tea) both blew - the gas one 2 days ago the primed one last night. They turned into very nice beers, surprisingly good to me because almost since the beginning I have been playing with recipes. These were pretty much my first 'plain' K&K beers.

At the start of their brief lives 😄 I thought, "THIS is why I do partials" but after 4 weeks in the fridge they had excellent flavour and creamy head. 

If things get tight I'll just make sure I have those cans and LDME in stock and I'll be OK. 😄

• Like 3

Bummer, my Belgian Chocolate Stout ROTM keg blew last night.

Never fear, though.  I have another half keg of it.  Quick sanitise of the out post and the beer disconnect.  All plugged back in and cooling and fast-carbing.

This was the one that had a Final Gravity of 1.025.  I had made 25 litres of the stuff, intending to bottle a few for ageing.  However, with that FG, bottling was too big of a risk.  So my solution was to half fill two kegs.

• Like 3