Coopers Community

When a Keg Blows

Scottie

I rolled around two new kegs on Sunday night and tapped the Autumn Session Ale. Sunday Roast with son and one son-in-law visiting so now its already a few litres down. I didn't time this lager that I'm brewing well at all. Although with an empty keg storage fridge there is an opportunity to brew another Session Ale on the weekend.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

• 2 weeks later...

Citra, Cascade, Mosaic IPA keg blew last night.

Had a bottle from the same batch and noticed a big difference in flavour to be honest.

The kegged version was still very hoppy, 5-6 weeks from being kegged.

The bottled version of the same brew seemed to have a muted hop flavour and malt / sweetness was a lot more prominent.

Anyone else notice this when comparing a kegged and bottled beer from same batch?

The bottle was still nice, but nowhere near as hoppy as the kegged version.

Think the CCM combo is going to be my house IPA from now on, love it's citrusy/mango juiciness!!

Cheers

James

It's been too long since I've bottled any surplus to remember exact details but I definitely remember there being a difference in flavour between the two. What I usually found was that the bottled portion did eventually catch up to the level of the kegged portion, but it took a lot longer. For example, the kegged portion would be excellent after 2-3 weeks in the keg, but the bottled portion took about 6-8 weeks to get there.

• 4 weeks later...

I had 2 kegs blow over the weekend, first was the Bohemian Pilsner on Saturday night, then yesterday arvo the Red Ale keg ran out. These had been on tap for about a month and a bit. In their places are the keg of soda water for cordials and also the 10L keg which has a 10L blend of the red ale and the home malted barley pale ale in it. It should be ready to pour in a few days.

The Ace of Spades porter is still going strong, not sure how much is left in it but probably a reasonable amount. It's tasting great too. Either way, the next batch of three will be well and truly ready before it runs out, as there are two already filled with the SNPA due to be kegged probably in a couple of weeks time.

Cheers

Kelsey

Hey Scottie,

Yeah, it's good in the "normal" part of the year when I'm working, because I don't really drink much through the week, usually just one schooner after work. I found for some reason that it was actually harder to keep supply up if I just put a full keg in to replace one that had just emptied.

To counter this I decided to try a system of putting 3 full kegs in at the same time, and during the period these are on tap I brew/ferment/keg the next three. These next three don't go into the kegerator until the last of the previous three has emptied, which includes the 10L blended keg which I've nicknamed "Heinz 57", so I guess it's really 3 and a half kegs. This has worked much better, and because I always ensure the rear keg is emptied last, it has removed the PITA of replacing that keg with two in front of it still. Sometimes I'll put the rear keg and a front keg in if the third is only a few days away from being filled, but yeah usually it's all three at the same time.

When I'm on holidays though, the stocks do get depleted more quickly and it's hard (actually impossible) to keep up production with just one FV, so there is a larger period of time where the taps are inactive. I use this time to try out commercial brews I haven't tried before. Also when I brew my annual dark beer it slows down production.. but then of course when that keg later goes on tap I get that time back and end up ahead of schedule, which is where I'm currently at. I still keep the same brewing schedule all year though.

Cheers

Kelsey

..and it was your best beer ever crying

There goes the Accidental Mosaic (last night), and unlike Kelsey I am under prepared with only a light beer and an English Bitter as back up kegs.

Brewing Oktoberfest today, have a Helles in the cube lagering. Probably three weeks before I can do another Accidental Mosaic, and then it won't really be accidental will it alien

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

• 2 weeks later...

Well, in recent times I've been glad when they've blown. The Heinz 57 keg blew last week and was cleaned out along with its line and tap today, so now I just have to empty the Ace of Spades keg and get that all cleaned up before Friday... It's all being moved to our new place on Saturday and I don't want to be taking a keg with bloody one or two glasses left in it. The only other keg on tap is soda water so that doesn't really matter too much. It can just be disconnected on Friday and removed so I can give the fridge a wipe out and and air out.

Luckily I have the rest of today off to because of signing the lease later so I can make a bit of a dent in it depending on what's left in it lol

Cheers

Kelsey

• 2 weeks later...

Pirate XPA blew today sad had another keg chilled , carbed and ready to go but still not the same as now have no spicy rye goodness until i get my " problem child " rye IPA fermented out and on tap .

That is the batch that blocked up ball valve on transfer , made me swear and gave me a headache stressing about it afterwards

Pirate XPA blew today sad had another keg chilled ' date=' carbed and ready to go but still not the same as now have no spicy rye goodness until i get my " problem child " rye IPA fermented out and on tap .

That is the batch that blocked up ball valve on transfer , made me swear and gave me a headache stressing about it afterwards [/quote']

Stop being a pussy! tongue

I obviously need to come to the next SA home brewing association meeting to sort your sorry arse out??! tongue

That, & have a beer & a good yap with ya! biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

Pirate XPA blew today sad had another keg chilled ' date=' carbed and ready to go but still not the same as now have no spicy rye goodness until i get my " problem child " rye IPA fermented out and on tap .

That is the batch that blocked up ball valve on transfer , made me swear and gave me a headache stressing about it afterwards [/quote']

Stop being a pussy! tongue

I obviously need to come to the next SA home brewing association meeting to sort your sorry arse out??! tongue

That, & have a beer & a good yap with ya! biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

Indeed , i'll be presenting my gladfield pils/ pacfica smash this month whether it's ready or not .

Raise you a club meeting and make it the case swap ? I'm not hosting so won't go making open invitations to entire internet but Radelaide brewers are generally welcome .

we have a perpetual trophy for the Stammtisch challenge being awarded on the day too , this time it's a Smurtos Golden ale as a side swap .

I know the hosts well and have enjoyed the hospitality there possibly too many times and am sure it will be a great family friendly afternoon /night and as an added bonus if you last after midnight it's my birthday so you get to toast in that too but more than 1 have fallen into hop induced coma at these events so should you doze off i'll share the toast with you after it passes through my kidneys

devil

( cut and pasted club notice )

Tuesday 29th August:

Monthly meeting. (PLEASE NOTE THE CHANGE OF DATE FROM NORMAL MONTHLY MEETING)

Brew comparison of Gladfields malts and selected Beerco hops as well as an informative presentation on brewing with fresh ingredients from Demott Dowling of Beerco.com on Tuesday 29th August at the Wheaty.

( end quote )

• 4 weeks later...

Never mind one, all three of mine have blown over the past week and I haven't even got any filled to replace them yet. The joys of moving house screwing up the brewing schedule lol.

I have a Bo Pils ready for kegging next weekend, and then I'll be putting on a red ale followed by a pale ale so I'll only have to wait about 5-6 weeks to have beer on tap again, and I'll at least be able to get two filled before they all run out this time. I might put a keg in early for my birthday BBQ the day after AFL grand final day though. Can't have a birthday with no tap beer!

............. have to wait about 5-6 weeks to have beer on tap again' date='.... [/quote']

pinched

I know right? The schedule got mucked up by the move, because I had no cubes full. I did a brew day the weekend after we moved in and didn't pitch it until the following Friday, so basically the kegs had been on tap for 2 weeks before I even started fermenting the pilsner. My mini blend keg is also empty, I think unsure Might have to check that!

• 2 months later...

Blown two kegs over the past week, first was my lovely red ale last weekend, and then last night the 10L keg of the blended red and pale ales ran out (luckily right at the end of pouring a glass so I got a full one biggrin). That just leaves the BO Pils keg and I have no idea how much is left in it as it hasn't really been poured too much so I'd expect it's still around half full.

There is a batch due to be kegged on Thursday, then a pale ale to be fermented so I certainly won't be without beer on tap for as long this time around. Plus there's still some leftovers from a party last week and SWMBO's mum is buying me a carton to mow the lawn this arvo, so I can probably stretch that keg out to a week or two before the next three are due to go in.

Cheers

Kelsey

I've managed a Kesley and had two kegs go about a week apart. A Session IPA and a Helles Lager.

I've only got two fullkegs in the Garage, another Session IPA and an Oktoberfest,

Yes it looks like Oktoberfest at Xmas time in the Valley.

Need to get to town for some more supplies before they grab a Xmas break themselves. Its been a while since I put a brew down and the time between brews is lengthening as I try to increase the number of AFD in my week, so I'll be needing fresh hops and some fresh spec malt.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

The Bo Pils finally blew after about 2 months on tap as well, about a week ago now. So at this point there are no beers on tap at all but I do have two full kegs ready, and these will go in on Friday to chill and be carbonated when I take my ham out of there to rinse, boil and smoke it for Xmas day. I'm pitching an APA today but it obviously won't be ready in time so I'll just run a normal schedule for it and it can go in on the day it's kegged in a bit over two weeks.

• 5 months later...

It can be embarrassing ?

Serving my Bright Ale, that I was scoring as good rather than excellent, to my Son in Law and a potential Son in Law.My Son on Law commented that this is a really excellent beer just as another Son in Law to be came over to visit. I offered him a Bright Ale and on the pour found only half a glass left. Luckily for me he is fan of my Mo Hop Fusion and he gladly accepted one of these.

Cheers & Beers                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Scottie                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Valley Brew