Coopers Community

When a Keg Blows

Scottie

Those sorts of shortages are crappy.. I have 7 kegs in total, two of them are full and there is one on tap that is nearly empty. Got a new brew going into the FV tomorrow that'll be kegged in about 3 weeks, and then all three full kegs will go into the kegerator which should hopefully last long enough for me to get another 3 full ones ready for when the last of those blows.

My Chinook pale ale ran out on Friday night but I was actually kind of relieved, it wasn't my best beer and the tart flavour wasn't particularly enjoyable, so from that perspective I'm glad it's gone. Not so much from a beer shortage perspective lol but at least I know not to use Chinook as the sole flavouring hop again. tongue

Hey Kelsey

That's a good bit of info on the Chinook. I love how it smells in the Boil, but I've never been under 15 minutes with it and was contemplating a Chinook SMASH. I'll stick with it @15 and use other varieties low down.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Having multiple kegs on tap at the same time is great, but if you're swilling them evenly it's only going to end with all of them running out around the same time. pinched Until I fully convert the keezer, I only have 2 kegs on the go at any one time & I generally concentrate on the older fermented brew more so until it blows so that I don't run out of cold, ready to drink beer. wink

+1 to using Chinook in conjunction with hops that have different characteristics. I brewed a beer a little while back using only Chinook & Riwaka (both grapefruit orientated), & the beer was certainly nice, but it lacked a certain "je ne sais quoi".

Cheers,

Lusty.

That's exactly what I'm hoping will happen - the 3 of them all running out around the same time, but hopefully with the one at the back running out last lol. Then, the next three can be put in and the cycle goes around again.

I only had two in there this time, which both went in at different times so they weren't both full, and there is still a bit left in one of them. I expect it will run out either this weekend or next, which would mean I only missed it by a week or two getting the next 3 ready. I'd expect having an extra 19 litres available, and a full 57 litres going in at once, should see plenty of time available to get the next three full.

• 7 months later...

I've had two kegs blow dry in the last week, which isn't a concern as I have two full ones ready and a third being filled on Saturday. I figured they'd run out a bit sooner given I had a BBQ here for my birthday last month where they were pouring for a number of hours.

Anyway, the first one to blow dry was the shitty pale ale which I was happy about, but tonight the ESB ran out and I only got about an inch of beer in the pint glass! crying

Luckily I put some beers in my brew fridge on Friday when I dropped the temp down to cold crash the brew currently in the FV though.

• 3 months later...

Well along with the joy that comes with your first keg must also come the sorrow at having it blow ... I too have now experienced that sorrow. It was good to the last drop. But no fear , I am cold crashing my IPA as we speak so expect to keg it mid week for a nice Friday night session! mmmm beer biggrin

I've had 5 kegs blow dry all within about 2 weeks of each other. The first was my Citra pale ale, then I had the small keg of a blend of that beer and my Simcoe pale ale in its place which blew, then the Simcoe pale ale itself, and today I had the small keg with the XXXX rip off and the Bohemian Pilsner kegs blow.

So, I'm left with a situation of having only a keg of soda water on tap for use with cordials, and no beer kegs. There is a 19L keg of the XXXX rip off, and I have a porter in the FV which will probably be kegged in a week and kept for the winter. The next two batches are an ESB with home made crystal and another APA, so there won't be any beer on tap until those two are kegged.

I will have to resort to the once a year buying beer for a short while until these three kegs are ready to be tapped. It's not all bad though, it re-aquaints me with some of my favourite commercial beers and also I try out new ones too. The rest of the year I pretty much only drink my own beers at home as I don't have these shortages. I love my 4 weeks off over Xmas and new year but bloody hell it decimates the beer stocks lol.

I suspect a small part of the issue at the moment is that the pump that feeds the chilled water up into my flooded font isn't working currently, so that part of the beer line is warmer than it usually would be. As a result I'm losing more to initial pour foaming than usual. I'll get those two empty kegs out tomorrow though and then be able to access the pump to have a look at it.

......It can be ironic.

My County Bitter blew out the other night, right at the end of the fill for a Schooner, normally I'm left with a glass half empty alien

The irony lies in the fact that I'd had an extended run of brewing EBs and was really craving some APAs. After I tapped my Bright it was the only beer about a fortnight before I went back to sample the Country Ale. Alternated between taps for neatly a week, first two nights and EBs were back in favour but then the disappointment of the keg blowing out on the Thursday night. That last drop was mighty fine.

There are no more EBs in sight.

Scottie

Valley Brew

Damn it

The Bright Ale blew out after 25 days. Snagged a win in the last game of the season and secured second position. Celebrating with son and son-in-law and we only got one glass each - so glad none else came around.

One keg not ready and one brew not ready for kegging, looks like an alcohol free week coming up.

Cheers & no Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Damn it, it does blow. Just back from a wet Autumn festival where I enjoyed a number of nice brews by T-Bone brewing. Decided to pull a session ale and only managed a half glass. I know its half full but it does feel half empty sadpouty

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Damn it' date=' it does blow. Just back from a wet Autumn festival where I enjoyed a number of nice brews by T-Bone brewing. Decided to pull a session ale and only managed a half glass. I know its half full but it does feel half empty [img']sad[/img] pouty

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

My house mate has discovered the joy of beer on tap , Shame it's my beer and only 6 litre kegs ! they blow all too soon , i took one along to a local meet up last night and thought there was more left but after a mate came over to see how easy an AG brewday can be i managed to pour a pint for him and foam for myself

• 4 weeks later...

Tapped my first ever kegs on ANZAC day.

The Citra Pale Ale blew last night, 12 days of joy came to a spluttering stop!

Was just thinking how nicely it was starting to clear and then.... It was all over.

Still got the Stout keg, though it can't be far behind.

Tried to keep a running tally but it is hard to judge how much is in the glass - 350 - 400 - 450mls etc, and I forget to write them down sometimes as well.

Might get those magnetic floats Otto suggested on the other thread..

At least the next 2 FVs are ready to be cold crashed.

Cheers

James

I think it's the Its Kegging Time thread.

I checked them out on the Internet / Youtube and they're about $25 for a ball float that goes inside the keg and a magnet that sits on the outside of the keg.

Might get one and save myself the angst and heartbreak etc

Cheers

James

• 3 weeks later...

Damn these things need Beer gauges pinched

PL Pale Ale clown blew out on Thursday, I lifted both kegs to see which one was MT and they both felt pretty similar,

Sure enough after a big Saturday of Footy, Salamanca, and a house warming (where I tried to drink two Crownies) I came home looking to have a few rIcession Ales while watching DreamTime and the G. One and a half glasses and she blow's as well.

Not keen on the journey to the garage at 8pm, it was a dry 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarter.

Looks like another session ale on the cards for next weekend, Throwback IPA v2.0

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

I had 2 kegs hooked up blow on the same night , knew both were getting close as they were pouring perfectly and tasting great .

Now i can get both FVs in fridge with Ottos red ale and a little creatures inspired brew

Luckily i have plenty of my amber ale and few others in bottles and mini kegs of a simple ESB i made a little while back ...think i still have some ruby porter floating around somewhere that ended up over carbing in bottles after a year

The last of the previous batch of 3 kegs blew dry last night, during the foamy start pour off, so I didn't even get any in the glass lol. Not to fear though, I have 3 full kegs ready to go in; Boh Pils, Ace of Spades Porter and a pale ale which was brewed with some home made malt and home grown Cascade flowers as part of the hopping.

I'm not terribly worried about rushing them in as I do have some bottled beer in the fridge as well, so I'll clean out the empty kegs and their lines and taps tomorrow, give the fridge a wipe clean inside and let it air out until Thursday when I'll put the next three in and turn it back on again to begin chilling and carbonating them.

Cheers

Kelsey