Coopers Community

Ahhhh, my first infection

Sticky Wicket

Its a sad day at the Sticky Wicket Brewery, I am now looking at 30 odd bottles of undrinkable AG LCPA clone. Literally hours of work about to go down the drain.

I do know that the problem occurred before bottling as the taste was apparent at the bottling stage, I guess I just hoped I wasn't. I knew I was in serious trouble when another brew bottled a week later had cleared and this one was still as cloudy as.

However the proof is in the tasting, and whilst I could taste some of the hoppy goodness I experience in LCPA clone the predominant flavour was chemicals.

Maybe I have become complacent with my cleaning and sanitizing, I don't feel I did anything different to normal, but looks like I am going to become obsessive compulsive with cleanliness.

I am also going to throw out my 20 year old FV, and get a new one, that will be two new ones in two weeks.

Has any body experienced this chemical smell and flavour, I have had a good look around and cant place it to any particular problem or infection.

Aah mate that's a shame [sad] I'm still waiting for my first one - I'm sure it'll come soon

I'm currently in the process of training my alien squid monster to make the journey south and infiltrate your brewery. [devil] [lol]

Seriously though, infections suck, I'm lucky in that I've only had that one which cleared itself up after a few days anyway, and I've put that down to an infected yeast starter rather than anything to do with the FV cleaning processes I employ. I had similar growths in my urn when I left it sit for a couple of weeks because I was so busy I couldn't bloody clean it. It has since been thoroughly cleaned and boiled a couple of times with just water, and is ready for the next batch. In future I'll just tip out the wort, rinse a couple of times and leave water in it if I can't clean it fully straight away.

Thanks for the sentiments guys, it is a sad day indeed!

Question though, is it still a beer crime to tip these bottles down the drain, I assume not as the infection is undrinkable. Problem is it feels so wrong!

Life's too short to drink bad beer.

It would be a crime to drink it [rightful]

hiya sticky...mate i went through the same thing a couple months back...i couldnt bring myself to throw out so i kept them in the shed.....i was amazed they actually came good ...they were abit twangy but tasted ok all the same...mind you i didnt dare go near the sediment in bottom of bottles. i suspect i had got slack with my sanitising also...familiarity causes abit of complacency maybe?.

cheers Zac.

They will get tipped out, no hope with this flavour they can come good unfortunately.

The taste isn't a little bit bad its real bad, literally like chemicals.

Just feels wrong tipping it out, I keep telling myself its just not cricket, but this isn't beer either.

They will get tipped out, no hope with this flavour they can come good unfortunately.

The taste isn't a little bit bad its real bad, literally like chemicals.

Just feels wrong tipping it out, I keep telling myself its just not cricket, but this isn't beer either.

Why waste it?

Give it to your neighbor. You know the one who's dog keeps crapping on your lawn.

Archived