Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Whatcha' got?

Canadian Eh!L

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
John,

You might be right about mashout pre-sparge. This was what I thought was the recommended method. I'll have to re-read my bible on the subject. I understood that the mashout accomplished the ceasing of enzmatic activity. Then the sparge flushed out all the goodness out of the grains.[unsure] Unless I miss calculated this too my effiency was 80% with this method.[surprised .

This truly is the reason I started this thread. So that we can chat about methods and practises and learn from each other through our mistake and our triumphs.[cool]

I'm no BIAB expert but I thought it was mashout and then sparge.

The term mashout implies that it is done before lautering. Then sparging at a higher temp than the mash temp, say mid 70's.

I just re-read the chapter on mashing.

Mash out to my understanding it the last step in the mashing process. It is accomplished by increasing the temperature to 75-78C and hold for 5-10mins. This step stops the action of starch-degrading enzymes. From this point it doesn`t really matter what temp your mash is at. Sparging is don\xe8 with water of similer temps to the mashout. This step is for rincing all the sugary wort away from the spent grains. The slower and more careful the sparge the higher the efficency.

This whole Mashout/Sparge/No-Sparge thing makes my head hurt.

I think perhaps that comparing BIAB to traditional AG brewing is like comparing apples to oranges.

My belief is that with AG, it's mostly about stopping enzymatic activity, etc.

With BIAB, the mash is heated to around 75\xb0C to make it more fluid and thereby easier to drain the wort from the bag into the kettle. Getting as much wort as possible into the kettle appears fairly critical particularly with no-sparge BIAB.

Stopping enzymatic activity is not such an issue with BIAB as you are immediately going to boil the wort which would achieve the same thing.

My guess is that any extra OG increase achieved by mashout is likely due to unfermentable sugars being extracted and will hence show up with an increased FG. It should therefore effect the body of the beer but not the ABV. All I have read indicates that all fermentable sugars will have been converted well before mashout.

So I think No-Sparge with a mashout to improve fluidity and extract the last drop is my plan for the future.

I think perhaps that comparing BIAB to traditional AG brewing is like comparing apples to oranges.

I would agree with that, but the principles are similar. Rather comparing apples with oranges it is more like comparing apples with pears.

I would say the increased fluidity of the wort is also beneficial to 3V brewers to help with lautering, especially for thick mashes or those mashes with a high proportion of wheat.

Rather comparing apples with oranges it is more like comparing apples with pears.

I will meet you halfway Hairy - how about plums and peaches?

I don't want to meet you anywhere if we are going to compare our plums [innocent]

Rather comparing apples with oranges it is more like comparing apples with pears.

I will meet you halfway Hairy - how about plums and peaches?

I don't want to meet you anywhere if we are going to compare our plums [innocent]

I've heard of fuzzy peaches, but not hairy plums![sick][lol]

Look, I've nothing to offer on fuzzy peaches nor hairy plums but I do know for certain that you need furry balls to play tennis [biggrin]

Back on topic I have nothing much to offer except that I had a totally unplanned brew session last night. I found a can of Dark ale last night as I was continuing my cleaning process to decrapify and make room for my keezer so 5 mins into my cleaning session it turned into a brew session and an hour after that I had a American Brown Ale of sorts in the brew fridge.

I haven't made a kit brew for a while but it was nice to do a simple and quick brew for a change - We'll se how it turns out but I'm sure it will be good if not better.

Muddy's Downtown Brown

1 x Coopers OS Dark Ale

1kg LDM

250g light crystal/caramalt steeped

250g Dextrose

Repitched US-05

I'll make the final decision on dry hopping when I actually do it but it will probably be something along the lines of 25g Cascade and 25g Centennial....and maybe a little something added to the keg....amarillo, mosaic???

I don't usually post recipes that aren't tried and true but as a kit recipe I can only take part of the blame if it doesn't turn out as it did in my head (but then again I usually put in a bit more thought than the 30 secs I gave this recipe).

Nice one, Muddy!

I was hoping we could draw out a recipe/brewday out of you. [cool]

I'm not sure if it counts as a recipe - I'll aim to add a real one soon...I've been caught up with putting my keezer together lately and have only brewed some simple tried and true "keg fillers" to get me through. I'll take it up a few notches soon.

Brewed a Choc-Magnum Porter today.

A really basic brew, always with great results - 3.5kg Pale Malt, 1kg Choc Malt, 0.5kg Dark Crystal Malt and 30g Magnum for 30mins.

Walked away from the sparge for a moment to check on the motor racing, became engrossed and forgot about the sparge. Suddenly remembered and rushed back to find that the the wort had filled the bucket to within a about 3mm short of overflowing and had only stopped because the sparge liquor vessel was empty - phew, could have been messy!! [sideways]

I love choc magnums. They are my favourite ice creams [love]

It sounds like you had the brew under control the whole time; pin point accuracy.

Paul, what yeast did you use in that brew? I am looking for a nice dark beer to brew before winter, although I am cutting it fine.

And do you no-chill?

Look' date=' I've nothing to offer on fuzzy peaches nor hairy plums but I do know for certain that you need furry balls to play tennis [biggrin']

Back on topic I have nothing much to offer except that I had a totally unplanned brew session last night. I found a can of Dark ale last night as I was continuing my cleaning process to decrapify and make room for my keezer so 5 mins into my cleaning session it turned into a brew session and an hour after that I had a American Brown Ale of sorts in the brew fridge.

I haven't made a kit brew for a while but it was nice to do a simple and quick brew for a change - We'll se how it turns out but I'm sure it will be good if not better.

Muddy's Downtown Brown

1 x Coopers OS Dark Ale

1kg LDM

250g light crystal/caramalt steeped

250g Dextrose

Repitched US-05

I'll make the final decision on dry hopping when I actually do it but it will probably be something along the lines of 25g Cascade and 25g Centennial....and maybe a little something added to the keg....amarillo, mosaic???

I don't usually post recipes that aren't tried and true but as a kit recipe I can only take part of the blame if it doesn't turn out as it did in my head (but then again I usually put in a bit more thought than the 30 secs I gave this recipe).

Just dry hopped this bad boy and added 40g each of cascade and centennial. Don't know if I should leave it at that or maybe dry hop the keg with 20g of citra or maybe mosaic???? I haven't used moasic before.

Decisions, decisions [cool]

Not exactly brewday, but with the help of my brother, I botteled my Irish Stout today :)

Irish Stout kit

1kg Muntons dark dry extract

300g Dextrose

S-04 Yeast

Fuggle 5g@15min

Fuggle 10g@10min

Fuggle 10g Dryhop at day 4

Water up to 20 liters

OG 1.047

FG 1.011

We got 46 bottles of different sizes (I'm still grabbing all the bottles I can from friends and family) :P

I'm not really a fan of Stout, but I figured I make this so I can have it for the winter. Sample we tasted was fine, I'm having a hard time with it because I'm so into hoppy IPA's atm :)

Nice one, Toby!

I've been meaning to put down a stout for winter. It's always nice to have some stout tucked away for when you are feeling a bit chilled ar when you feeling like changing it up a little. They are usually well aged by time time you get to most of them.

My last batch of stout was a flop.[annoyed] I just dumped the batch into the compost the other day. It was an infected Coop's yeast re-culture, I think.[sick]

Crazy brew day for me today!

So, It's my last day off after a month or so of leisure. It has been very productive in the brewery. Since march 29 I've put down 10 batches of beer. They have been everything from AG to K&B. I must say most have been APA or AIPAs but I did mange one lager and a Viking style ale.

Todays brew was a AG Pale ale with some Pale ale malt and some Pilsner with a little light crystal and wheat malt. Hopped with Magnum for bittering and FWH of Amarillo and Centennial with amarillo and Cascade as late adds. Pitched on top of a US-05 yeast cake.

Things went a little crazy when I got called out to work right as I was running off the wort from my mash[annoyed] . I was able to hastily collect my volume and clamp the lid on the kettle. After a couple of hours at work I return to my brew day and spark the burner and bring the wort to a boil. Everthing goes fine and I get my kettle into the ice bath for a chill down. At this point a long lost friend arrives at the door and a bit of a celebration insues. My Pale ale is forgotten about for anther couple of hours[roll] . I finally remember it and get it into th FV without a SG sample or a temperature check.

I'm sure it will be fine.[lol]

Anyway, My month long run of brew days has come to an end for now. I hope you will all continue with post about your Brewday adventures![cool]

Todays brew was a AG Pale ale with some Pale ale malt and some Pilsner with a little light crystal and wheat malt. Hopped with Magnum for bittering and FWH of Amarillo and Centennial with amarillo and Cascade as late adds

That sounds great. Amarillo and Cascade and/or Cenntennial would be my favourite APA additions [love]

I'm sure it will be fine

For sure. They are pretty hardy [wink]

Its good you've had a long run of brew days. I am the opposite; I haven't brewed much at all recently and I am booked out for a few more weeks. I am having withdrawal symptons and have the shakes [biggrin]

But I will have some time off in early June and I am planning on churning out 2-3 brews then.

Just tasted my Brown Ale posted further up the thread and it tastes bloody beautiful [love] ....So simple but so good. I didn't end up dry hopping the keg as it didn't need it. So wron and so young but soooooo goooooood [biggrin]

Also, I had my first BIAB brewday last Thursday but I have detailed that IN THIS THREAD.

Archived