Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Whatcha' got?

Canadian Eh!L

Hey all,

I thought I'd put this thread out there as a place to tell the tale of your brew day. Tell as much or as little about your day. Just give us a kit you brewed or the recipe you created, K&K, K&B, PM, AG, the misshaps, the triumphs, maybe you only have time to tell the style. You can get back to us to tell how it turned out![happy] Or maybe not.[crying] Some might share their entire brew day! We can only hope.[cool] Every little bit helps your fellow brewer along their way to brewing the best beer on Earth.

For some of us it's about the brew day as much as the brew.

Let me be the first (maybe the last) entry.

Brew day: April 21/13

Extract brew

Muddy's Full Nelson Ale OG 1.050

2.5Kg DME light

100g Crytal 40L

100g Carapils

30g Centennial 30mins

20g N. Sauvin 20mins

20g N.S. (dry hopped)

15L boil for 30mins topped up to 21L

US-05 rehydrated Pitched @ 22C

Right from grinding the grains to pitching the yeast this one was under 3 hours. Thats half the time of my AG batches but still three times as long as a K&K brew.

It was all in all a fine brew day with no real hang ups or misshaps. It helps that I have done this recipe before and I know it is a good one. It's a nice PA that will be well sot after come mid-summer!

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice one Chad.

I'll be having a brew day on either Thursday or Friday. It's gonna be another ESB with all the usual suspects (EKG, Target, Challenger, Caraaroma, Choc, Roast) and I'll be getting really obsessive about nailing my boil off rates, efficiency, post & pre boil volumes etc.

I'll fill you guys in as it happens, although I don't know if I've got it in me to do another pictorial. [crying]

Nice thread eh?

I've been thinking of starting a thread called "Fail Ale and Other Brew Day Mishaps" at one stage, as for me brew day is usually a procession of disasters. In fact, god only knows how my beers end up being any good - must be hard to truly bugger it up!

Anyway, this thread will do for now.

I've been thinking of starting a thread called "Fail Ale and Other Brew Day Mishaps" at one stage, as for me brew day is usually a procession of disasters. In fact, god only knows how my beers end up being any good - must be hard to truly bugger it up!

Anyway, this thread will do for now.

It would end up being the longest thread in forum history.....and that would be just my posts

I would post my porter recipe which was entirely an experiment, but I can't remember what it was. I had it in Beersmith but it went into a virtual grave when my last computer shat itself. I think I posted a thread about it so I'll go have a look and come back and edit this post with it if I find it.

Well I found it but rather than edit that post I figured I'd write a new one so it actually shows up. [lol]

6.00 kg Joe White Traditional Ale Malt

0.35 kg Black (Patent) Malt

0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L

0.10 kg Chocolate Malt

0.10 kg Roasted Barley

30.00 g Fuggles [5.40 %] - Boil 75.0 min

30.00 g Goldings, East Kent [6.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min

20.00 g Fuggles [5.40 %] - Boil 20.0 min

0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins)

20.00 g Goldings, East Kent [6.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min

S-04 yeast

It turned out about 6% ABV with quite a high FG of 1019-1020. OG was around 1055-1056. I can't remember my mash temps, but I'm guessing they were higher than I intended given the high FG. Even pitching a new pack of yeast didn't budge it. Then again, there is 750g of specialty grains in it. If you were to do this as an extract brew then simply sub the 6kg of base malt for a couple of tins of LME and maybe 500g LDM depending how strong you want it.

Since I forgot to let everyone know how it went in the original thread I'll do it here. Flavour wise it's almost in stout territory, and as I predicted in the original thread it is sort of halfway between a porter and a stout, or what I referred to as a "storter". There's a definite hint of a chocolatey flavour in it. It's not overpowering but it's noticeable. I think the bitterness from the hops has balanced the sweetness from the malts nicely, though the roasted barley probably helps a bit too. I was a bit unsure about the black patent but having tasted it now I can confidently say at least for my tastes that it worked very well. I will have to brew this again, maybe with some Maris Otter pale malt next time.

For something that was a total stab in the dark experiment, I'm really happy with how it has turned out. [biggrin]

Brew day: April 24/13

Extract brew

Ginger Beeer OG 1.039

1.5Kg DME light

500g Carapils(Cracked & steeped 30mins)

100g Crytal 40L(C&S)

500g honey @ F-out

375g Fresh ginger root (pounded) (30mins), 295g @ 10mins

2 lemons halved & squeezed (10 mins)

20g Perle 8.6% (60 mins)

15g Cascade 5.3% (20mins)

15g Cascade (5 mins)

22 litres (it was supposed 21)

US-05 on the trub

This is a recipe that I normally used the Mexican Cerveza kit. This time I went with all DEM. I did a 60 minute full wort boil with a pre-boil volume of 28 litres. I ended up with 1 more litre than I was expecting. This reduced the expected OG from 1.040 to 1.039 and got an extra litre of wort. Not too bad.

I pounded the ginger and I did two additions rather than one in previous recipes. And I put it in a bag this time. This time I backed the lemon additions up to 10 mins rather than 20 mins. And the lemons also went in the bag.

I threw the whole lot onto the yeast cake of my GPA @ 22C> Within 2 hours it had a 2 cm krausen and within 8 hours there was a whirl of activity within the FV.

All in all it was an excellent brew day. The sun was shining. The boys helped out and there no major mishaps. Fingers crossed that this is a good summer drinker in a month or two.

Still hoping to see some of your brew day stories posted.

Got a Smotty Ale in the FV, but also got a can of Amber Malt laying around. How will a brew with 1 can APA and 1 can Amber Malt turn out? Was maybe thinking of doing the same hopping schedule as for the Smotty. And then, as it is hopefully going to get cooler in the next month or so (30C today in Cape Town), I was thinking about doing something with the Heritage Lager. Was thinking 1kg DME and 250g dex.

I did a brew with a can of APA and a can of amber malt once and it was way too sweet for my liking. You'd probably be best to boil extra hops for bitterness to counter it.

Anyway, I also did a brew day today. I brewed up another German lager, in pretty much the same recipe as my original one. I just used less malt this time in order to not end up with a 6.4% ABV beer! I had a couple of friends over to check out the process and we had a few beers, one of them brought some ingredients for pizza and cooked us a pizza so that was pretty awesome. Watched a bit of the footy. Then went to Black Sabbath tonight which kicked major arse[devil]. All in all a pretty awesome day![biggrin]

Anyway' date=' I also did a brew day today. I brewed up another German lager, in pretty much the same recipe as my original one. I just used less malt this time in order to not end up with a 6.4% ABV beer! I had a couple of friends over to check out the process and we had a few beers, one of them brought some ingredients for pizza and cooked us a pizza so that was pretty awesome. Watched a bit of the footy. Then went to Black Sabbath tonight which kicked major arse[devil']. All in all a pretty awesome day![biggrin]

Thanks for the post, Otto! That sounds like a great brew day. I've never had friends come over for a brew day. I think it would be great fun!

It really was! I've never done that before either actually. But I thought it'd be nice to hang out with a couple of friends for the day instead of sitting around here by myself while I waited for all the various things during the brewing process to happen. [lol]

I reckon I'll have to do it again sometime. And I've also got my mate interested in taking up brewing after he sampled one.

Nice thread Chad

I've got a big brew weekend install. Both my current brews are 3 weeks in the FV and due for kegging.

Brew Day 1 I have the Cascarillo Amber and I'll be tweaking the bitterness a bit with some Centenial. Other than that it is as per the recipe of the month.

Brew Day 2 is my own creation Two Sisters IPA.

1.5kg Coopers Amber Malt extract

1.5kg Coopers Light Malt extract

250g Victory Malt

6 litre boil

30g Ella @ 40 mins

20g Ella @ 10 mins

25g Sylvia @ 5 mins

25g Sylvia Dry Hopped

Rinsed Wyeast 1332

Made to 20 litres

Okay, here's my recipe from Friday.

After my last few English beers being way too sweet and cloying I've changed my recipe formulation a little to include less crystal, and 5% sugar. I'm also mashing at 66c. We'll see how we go!

4.078kg JWM Traditional Ale

249g Cane sugar

249g Wheat malt

102g Caraaroma

102g Dark Crystal

50g Chocolate Malt

40g Black Malt

20g Roasted Barley

I'm hitting around 75% efficiency regularly now that I have my system figured out. That gives me 1.052 OG

60 min boil with

15g Target (11.5%) @ 60 mins

23g Challenger (6.1%) @ 0 mins

25g EKG (5.3%) @ 0 mins

0 min additions are at whirlpool.

This should give me roughly 34IBU.

Brew day went according to plan except for some reason I got way more evap/boil-off than usual and had to top up. [pinched]

I pitched this morning with a healthy real-wort starter from the same batch of Wyeast 1275 - Thames Valley Ale.

Hope I can break the bad spell!

Brew day went according to plan except for some reason I got way more evap/boil-off than usual and had to top up. [pinched]

Why do you think that is Phil?

I find provided I am using the same pot (36L) on the same gas setting(flat out) on the kitchen cooktop that I get a consistent 4L per hour boil off. Wonder if it could be the outdoor brewing and different weather that accounts for the variation.

Must not miss an opportunity to give this calculator a plug. I find it a great help on brewday.

Archived