Coopers Community

$ 20 brewing vessel ? ? ?

Polarian

heres a pic of what i am thinking of from bunnings ...

Brewing Vessel

It's 30 ltr (i think that's the size of a coopers one ?

BUT will it have enough space for the frothy stage ? )

It seems to be very air tight as theres a rubber insert under the lid and it looks like you can put a tap on there nice and easy.

Because it is so air tight will it explode ? , i have only ever used coopers kits and the first kit had a air lock and i have the new kit now but i do think that can let air out via the large collar thing.

So yeah ... what do you think , would this be ok to make a brew in ?

If it's food grade it should be fine.

I ferment in 30L brewing buckets and out of about 30 brews so far, I've only had 2 where there was not enough room for the krausen (froth)

The tap hole looks very low though and would probably be below the trub line.

They won't explode, as you'll be putting an airlock in the top, or you can unscrew it a little bt to let gas out, or use glad wrap.

I'd go with an airlock.

I think it would be fine once you figure out how to let gas out and how to get beer out [happy]

I would look past these units as on opening I found them to havea strong rubber smell from the seal used on the lid and it seems to travel quite strongly through the plastic.

Wise advice.

Go to your local home brew store and get a purpose built model for about $30 and it will have a tap included and provision for the all important, not to be done without airlock.

T Has anyone actually used one of these fore brewing? They don't give much info on these container other then for water use and that does not state that the water is drinkable, it may just mean water intended for washing purpose only. I have done my time in chemical engineering and know that if the units do not have the ABS code for compatibility with consumption or dangerous goods why use it. I personally did not like the smell of them, nor could I find the stamp on the above mentioned units.

The ones I recommend have been used by myself and many others (a lot of people over on AHB use them). I can't find the one I mention on the suppliers website but you could give them a call and ask them if you are concerned.

I have seen them rebranded and sold by a home brewing company but for the life of me can't remember who...so I can't really back that up with evidence.

I am going to look into these a bit further as I think these are great value. I do have a lingering question for you Muddy and that is did you find them to have a strong rubbery smell and or flavour? I have manage to find out they have a lower life scale then the higher quality units.

I can't say I ever noticed a rubbery smell and certainly had no rubbery flavours. I went and had a smell of mine this arvo after reading your previous post and couldn't notice any difference in the smell between it and my other "approved" FVs.

But I am now feeling a bit dizzy and have a headache [biggrin] (Kidding).

I disagree with going to a home brew shop - Just get a cheaper one from Bunnings, but I would get the one below instead of the one you pictured. They work perfectly!

bunnings.jpg

Of course it works best with glad wrap or you could add your own airlock if you must [pinched]

those are the ones i want to get also.good value i reckon

heres a pic of what i am thinking of from bunnings ...

Brewing Vessel

It's 30 ltr (i think that's the size of a coopers one ?

BUT will it have enough space for the frothy stage ? )

It seems to be very air tight as theres a rubber insert under the lid and it looks like you can put a tap on there nice and easy.

Because it is so air tight will it explode ? , i have only ever used coopers kits and the first kit had a air lock and i have the new kit now but i do think that can let air out via the large collar thing.

So yeah ... what do you think , would this be ok to make a brew in ?

actually i was looking at those also for the 30L volume. i reckon they would work ok

Hahaha' date=' I laugh with you Muddy[lol']. It just may well be the new barrels that have the smell and with a good wash and airing out would fix the issue. Food safe is the question now???

if i recall on the sqaure ones it had food grade written on label....

Hahaha' date=' I laugh with you Muddy[lol']. It just may well be the new barrels that have the smell and with a good wash and airing out would fix the issue. Food safe is the question now???

if i recall on the sqaure ones it had food grade written on label....

Perhaps only the label was food grade [innocent]

So the verdict on these units is positive' date=' they are in fact made from HDPE and are food and drug safe providing they aren't subjected to high temps [cool'].

there was a kiwi guy on here not long ago and i think he could confirm that...cant remember his tag

so how are you doing your air lock ? or whats the go with people mentioning glad wrap ? you just wrap the top and the air squeezes out without exploding ? or a 100 % air tight one wont explode anyways ?

so how are you doing your air lock ? or whats the go with people mentioning glad wrap ? you just wrap the top and the air squeezes out without exploding ? or a 100 % air tight one wont explode anyways ?

my other fv's are just barrels with screw top lids i just do them up then back it off to let co2 out and away i go

no need for airlock

Yeah, you really don't *need* an airlock. The lids in most cases aren't totally airtight, and if you do tighten them up heaps they're a bitch to get off again when it's bottling time. I use the lid and airlock on my FV but the airlock never bubbles, it's purely there as a seal from the air. I don't screw the lid on all that tightly either, I usually tighten it until I start to feel it grip the top of the FV opening, this makes it easier to remove at the end. The CO2 just escapes through the lid seal I imagine. It's not airtight but it's a good enough seal to stop any crap getting in.

40 $ kit seems cheapest in Victoria ...

Brewer's Choice Fermenter Kit $ 39.95

These guys seem to be the cheapest i can find for a "made for home brew" vessel

$30 for a 30 litre vessel or $40 with airlock , thermo sticker and the funky tap that coopers invented i think heheh

Looks like i am taking the kids to healesville this weekend ! ehhehe

oh next question ... Has anyone got large on home brew ? like has anyone used a 60 litre vessel before ?

or whats the go with people mentioning glad wrap ? you just wrap the top and the air squeezes out without exploding ? or a 100 % air tight one wont explode anyways ?

Glad Wrap is the easiest and best option (IMO [innocent] ). Just put a single piece of grad wrap over the top and affix it with the O-ring from your lid. Done.

The CO2 will find it's own way out. Some people say to put a pin prick in the plastic but this is totally unneccesary as is putting multiple layers.

Another benefit of glad wrap is you can move you fermentor or take samples without worrying about sucking in liquid from your airlock....sure you can remove the airlock or loosen the lid to do these things but why make things more difficult for no reason.

Some people like airlocks and good luck to them but I can't think of a single benefit of having them.

and the funky tap that coopers invented i think heheh

That looks like a regular tap to me...the coopers "funky" ones come with the DIY FV and a totally different kettle of fish [cool]

40 $ kit seems cheapest in Victoria ...

Brewer's Choice Fermenter Kit $ 39.95

These guys seem to be the cheapest i can find for a "made for home brew" vessel

$30 for a 30 litre vessel or $40 with airlock , thermo sticker and the funky tap that coopers invented i think heheh

Looks like i am taking the kids to healesville this weekend ! ehhehe

oh next question ... Has anyone got large on home brew ? like has anyone used a 60 litre vessel before ?

i used (and still use to catch up) 60 litre vessels. they are the type with handles each side and screwtop lid they are great for double brews when the stocks get low and the bottles are too many. my LHBS is a little pricey for things but he has Brewcellar 30 litre fv's for 29.50...i was thinking of getting one of them just for the hell of having another brand fv.yes thats a normal tap with strainer by the look of it

I have one of those Brew cellar 30L FVs and I really like it. Except for the stupid tap design. I don't know what bright spark came up with that idea, but all it achieves is actually getting more trub into the tap than need be. It might actually work if the intake was underneath the tap instead of on the top, but it's moulded in place and you can't move it. You could screw the tap in and leave it upside down, but then you'd get all dust and other crap in the outlet.[pinched]

I went and bought a 3rd cube the other day and it came with a "bonus" tap screwed into the lid. I took it out and found it to be one of the old style Coopers type ones, it fits into the FV fine so I'll be using that from now on I think.

Archived