Coopers Community

2nd Generation US-05 is a Monster!!

PhilboBaggins

Hey all.

The last few brews I've put down have been using harvested and rinsed US-05, and holy shazbutt, they are attenuating like mad and finishing with a really low FG. The Simcade IPA that I made in my brewday thread is ready for bottling today, and it's down to 1.009 from 1.054! Usually I get down to 1.012-11 with this yeast.

Is it a known FACT that 2nd gen yeasts are far more aggressive? I have never seen a krausen this big with 05 before, and TBH, it made me happy. [lol] [happy]

I mashed at 66C and didn't lose any temp, so not sure.

Oh well.

My current brew that is in the FV at the moment was also fermented with US-05, though it is just rehydrated from the packet. It did form a bigger krausen than I'm used to and also got to a lower gravity, it's somewhere around 1009-1010.

The mash part is interesting for me. I actually measured the temp of it when I started, and then measured it again 90 mins later and I'd lost 3\xb0F. That's without any insulating of the urn. Is this a real problem or does it not really matter?

My current brew that is in the FV at the moment was also fermented with US-05, though it is just rehydrated from the packet. It did form a bigger krausen than I'm used to and also got to a lower gravity, it's somewhere around 1009-1010.

The mash part is interesting for me. I actually measured the temp of it when I started, and then measured it again 90 mins later and I'd lost 3\xb0F. That's without any insulating of the urn. Is this a real problem or does it not really matter?

What you doin' talkin' in Fahrenheit Kelsey? [pinched] If 3F is 1.67C then over 90mins that's freakin fine mate. Consider that the majority of saccharification takes place in the first 45min, you're probably only looking at 0.6C drop for the most important part. [happy] Before I paid much attention to that stuff, I was making great beer and losing 4C over a 90min mash! You might struggle to keep that up in winter (so will I) but that's bloody great man. No problems there.

Re using yeast [crying] this hobby can go forever i think the wife is going to regret buying me a kit for xmas something i wouldnt have thought about myself. She better not make me choose between her and this i know everything about her [lol]

[lol] Yeah Art, I just started doing it recently, but I [love] playing with yeast. You have to be bloody careful with sanitation and do your research so you know what you're doing, but at the moment I'm getting around 9 pitches from one sachet of yeast, and I'm actually preferring the results I get from 2nd generation yeast!

Nice one. I'm not too worried about losing 1 or 2C over the course of the 90 mins, but it was up above where I wanted it. I'll have to figure out where to set the urn thingy to get it to the right temp to start with. I'll probably use that method when the weather cools down though. I don't know if those Crown urns are insulated/double walled or not, but I have a double walled stainless steel coffee/tea mug, and it takes a lot longer for the stuff to cool down than a standard china mug.

HB insipes some of the best DIY tricks anyone has ever seen. I'm sure you'll get it sorted mate. I'm looking at cut up camper mats.

As long as they don't take hold of the flame![lol]

Hope that wasn't too obscure. I know you love your old metal, and QR is one of the best for sure.

I've been washing yeast for months, but never actually used one of them. I have jars and vials of all sorts in the frisge and they generally end up down the sink.

I always get to the days before brewday and think 'screw it, for \u20ac2.50 I might as well just play it safe and get fresh, clean yeast.'

If my saison is nice I'll probably try another with my test tube of washed yeast to avoid paying the WhiteLabs rediculous prices for another, and to keep the yeast alive.

Then the yeasty floodgates will open wide and there'll be no turning back. Pretty soon i'll have a lab resembling something from Breaking Bad in my brewroom. [lol]

I've been washing yeast for months, but never actually used one of them. I have jars and vials of all sorts in the frisge and they generally end up down the sink.

I always get to the days before brewday and think 'screw it, for \u20ac2.50 I might as well just play it safe and get fresh, clean yeast.'

If my saison is nice I'll probably try another with my test tube of washed yeast to avoid paying the WhiteLabs rediculous prices for another, and to keep the yeast alive.

Then the yeasty floodgates will open wide and there'll be no turning back. Pretty soon i'll have a lab resembling something from Breaking Bad in my brewroom. [lol]

I am guessing you are rinsing dried yeast. Which you are correct, i.e. it isn't really worth it considering a few dollars and you have a fresh pack of dried yeast. However, when you start doing liquid yeast then this is where you will save money by rinsing.

I am guessing you are rinsing dried yeast. Which you are correct' date=' i.e. it isn't really worth it considering a few dollars and you have a fresh pack of dried yeast. However, when you start doing liquid yeast then this is where you will save money by rinsing.[/quote']

Dead right mate. I began rinsing my dried yeast as practice for when I start using liquid yeast. It was meant to just build my skills up, but I found it a lot of fun, and I like the vigorous ferment I seem to get from my repitched yeast, so I kept doing it. [lol]

Hey all.

The last few brews I've put down have been using harvested and rinsed US-05, and holy shazbutt, they are attenuating like mad and finishing with a really low FG. The Simcade IPA that I made in my brewday thread is ready for bottling today, and it's down to 1.009 from 1.054! Usually I get down to 1.012-11 with this yeast.

Is it a known FACT that 2nd gen yeasts are far more aggressive? I have never seen a krausen this big with 05 before, and TBH, it made me happy. [lol] [happy]

I mashed at 66C and didn't lose any temp, so not sure.

Oh well.

Hey Phil,

I just put down a SNPA Clone using US-05 2nd Gen yesterday. Well Holy Shite! This baby is like nothing I've ever seen. When I awoke this morn I snuck down to the brewery to see how things were going. Maddness! Swirling hurricane inside the bottle, krausen flowing through the airlock. The only thing I have time for (before work) is to throw down a towel to soak up the mess.

Flash forward to when I get home from work 11 hours later. The hurricne turned into a Friggin' Volcano! The airlock is nowhere to be seen and there is ooze everywhere!

What I did different this time is I rinsed the yeast in the morning on brew day collected 3L of nice clean yeast and put it in the fridge until the afternoon when it was time to pitch into my freshly brewed wort I decanted 1L off the top of my washed yeast and pitched the other 2L bringing the level to around 21L. This method seen to be favoured by these little yeasties[cool] [biggrin]

Pull up a chair. Grab some popcorn.

SWMBO thinks I'm odd staring at the activity in FVs[roll]

It's a damn sight better than her 'Jersey Shore', that's for shore...

My SWMBO is quite tolerant of my weird behaviour. Watching my starters for hours at a time, making her smell every beer that I pour, even though she doesn't even drink, singing to my hop bines. [roll] [lol]

BTW, just took a FG reading on an APA I'm bottling today with 2nd gen US-05 and it's down to 1.006 from 1.044.

It's ALIIIIVE!!

I think the monster now sleeps.[sleeping] Fermentation has finally slowed to a dull roar. The carboy is a hell of a mess inside and out, the airlock has an 2cm of yeast at the bottom but i think we are on the road to recovery now. I've been working long hours since I put this one down and haven't really been able to deal with the monster. tomorrow is the day to pick up the piece and to see where we are really at.

I'll keep you updated though![wink]

Hey Nicko,

These are the images I captured of this catastrophic event. These still shot do no justice of course.

p1100443.jpg

This one is after most of the dust settled.[joyful] Notice the yeast settled in the bottom of the airlock.

p1100442n.jpg

This is also after most of the carnage. The carboy on the left is of course the brew in question. The brew on the right is the brew I harvested the yeast from. What is Generation the 3rd going to bring to match this, one can only shutter to think.

p1100416r.jpg

This is only momments after I have replace and cleaned the airlock for the first time.[surprised

Maybe next time I'll have a blow-off tube ready to rig up.[innocent]

So, I cleaned things up today. I took a gravity reading it was 1.010 (OG 1.053). This is 2 points lower than I was expecting with this one and it's still cooking.[smile] I hit it with 34g of Cascade (pellet, dry hop) after 7 days probably for another week of so.

It is tasting great fom the test tube![joyful]

Archived