Coopers Community

3 piece ball valve leaking

Otto Von Blotto

So I just went down to Craftbrewer to pick up some more base malt and a couple of other grains, yeast etc. Anyway, I thought while I was there I might as well pick up a ball valve to replace the tap on my urn. I took out the tap and fitted the valve as I was instructed to, but I've found it drips slightly from the nut on the outside of the urn. Is this just a matter of tightening it up more? I tested it with some water and attaching the hose to it into a bucket so that side of things is all good - much better than the tap, but yeah.. I'm a bit concerned about this minor leaking. [unsure]

So I just went down to Craftbrewer to pick up some more base malt and a couple of other grains' date=' yeast etc. Anyway, I thought while I was there I might as well pick up a ball valve to replace the tap on my urn. I took out the tap and fitted the valve as I was instructed to, but I've found it drips slightly from the nut on the outside of the urn. Is this just a matter of tightening it up more? I tested it with some water and attaching the hose to it into a bucket so that side of things is all good - much better than the tap, but yeah.. I'm a bit concerned about this minor leaking. [unsure']

Try a bit of thread tape kelsey

I dont have an urn but I do have a couple of those valves. Im not sure of how much of a difference it makes but I have a silicone ring on both inside and out of my kettle, as well as thread tape, but mine is a home bodged afair.

Arnt the walls of the urns quite thin? if you tighten excessively will you bend the wall of the urn giving you a better seal?? I know that the CB 70L st.steel pans are quite thin walled and I always wondered if crushing the wall would be an issue.

I'm not really sure. But we found the problem, it's actually the thread where it goes into the valve itself that's where it's leaking from. We've got tape on the thread where the nuts are that hold it onto the urn, but run out of it so gotta go get some more and put it on that other section as well. Hopefully this stops it!

It is the right way to have the silicon ring on the inside of the urn and the steel washer on the outside right??

Mine has the silicon ring next to the inside wall with the washer next and then a coupling. The valve is fitted to the outside direct against the wall without a washer or locknut. Mine is a Morebeer one.

I'm going to go back down now and try tightening them up more and maybe try some thread tape. The problem is it's hard to get a spanner onto both inside and outside nuts' date=' to hold the thing in place in order to tighten them.[/quote']

sounds like you need someone to help hold your nuts........... [lol]

Archived