Coopers Community

about ourselves

Nick

We have busways as well, first one opened in 2000 or 2001. More have been built since. Ours are separate roads though, kinda like railways but for buses. I reckon there's a few roads up here that could do with dedicated bus lanes though, where a separate busway is impractical. Would improve services a lot instead of having us stuck in bloody traffic for ages.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

We have busways as well, first one opened in 2000 or 2001. More have been built since. Ours are separate roads though, kinda like railways but for buses. I reckon there's a few roads up here that could do with dedicated bus lanes though, where a separate busway is impractical. Would improve services a lot instead of having us stuck in bloody traffic for ages.

The guided busway is good for one thing only, as opposed to a non-guided busway, speed. The buses can safely travel at 90kms without fear of going off track. I personally think non-guided busways are a better idea. The infrastructure is cheaper to build and the buses don't need guide wheels to keep them on track. Our guide wheels prevent us getting close to kerbs to pick up people and they're designed to snap off if they take a hard hit eg. hitting a median strip. The guide wheels are tethered with a cable. If one comes off but remains tethered it disables the bus until a mechanic can get to the bus to remove it.

Archived