Coopers Community

about ourselves

Nick

I"m Mike, the 15 is just because that's a user name that the forum would accept null

Originally from Suffolk, England, hence I don't go for gassy ales - or warm ones before you all start!

I took voluntary redundancy form a UK Eng. firm in '07, I was the only guy without a wife, kids or mortgage & if not they where going to play iny miny miny mo with us,,, had planned to head to Oz on a WH visa & buy a camper to loose a couple of years trying to 'find what I wanted to do next'.
Before I could finish my contract (In Bahrain) I met my now kiwi wife, a then flight attendant on private Saudi jets, who was looking for a reason to pack it in & go home so offered "why not try Nz instead" so I moved to Timaru, Central South Island New Zealand in July 2008 on a WH visa, stayed, got married, had 2 kids, having 1 more in a few weeks & just became a Citizen a few days ago.

Spare time (2kids & A VERY pregnant wife, who am I kidding,,,,,, ) is brewing beer all year round, mountain biking - jet skiing / boating / fishing - skiing as the season suits & I did start rebuilding the engine of my 1971 VW Fastback a loooonnngggg time ago, must that bloody thing finished & back on the road!!

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

snip

My brother played Aussie rules the other day against a fella who was 68. Still running round kickin the pig skin at that age is

snip

Captain

Hey Captain

In my comeback game three years ago the wicket keeper in the opposing team was 68. This year against the 2nd rated team (we were only 4th) I (wicketkeeping) got cleaned up by another 60 odd batsman (looked about 65) taking a single. He collected me good a proper while I was taking the ball at the stumps, he went clean over the top of me and was groaning and writhing in pain. After 5 minutes he was up and continued on. Probably similar to many knocks you'd get in AFL so that fella paling against your brother is a legend. 

Scottie

Yeah the body will do that ha ha ha 

I unfortunately was forced to retire at 24 by doctors orders. Knocked out/concussed 7 times in my last season. One of the joys of being fairly good that you get tagged, targeted. And wearing a helmet just made it worse. 

I still get really excited watching my nephew play. He’s 14 and an absolute gun. Plays in the centre and kicked 6 last week against the next best side in their league. He always bags a couple but this day he had that ball on a string

On 6/6/2018 at 4:06 AM, Mikes15 said:

I"m Mike, the 15 is just because that's a user name that the forum would accept null

Originally from Suffolk, England, hence I don't go for gassy ales - or warm ones before you all start!

I took voluntary redundancy form a UK Eng. firm in '07, I was the only guy without a wife, kids or mortgage & if not they where going to play iny miny miny mo with us,,, had planned to head to Oz on a WH visa & buy a camper to loose a couple of years trying to 'find what I wanted to do next'.
Before I could finish my contract (In Bahrain) I met my now kiwi wife, a then flight attendant on private Saudi jets, who was looking for a reason to pack it in & go home so offered "why not try Nz instead" so I moved to Timaru, Central South Island New Zealand in July 2008 on a WH visa, stayed, got married, had 2 kids, having 1 more in a few weeks & just became a Citizen a few days ago.

Spare time (2kids & A VERY pregnant wife, who am I kidding,,,,,, ) is brewing beer all year round, mountain biking - jet skiing / boating / fishing - skiing as the season suits & I did start rebuilding the engine of my 1971 VW Fastback a loooonnngggg time ago, must that bloody thing finished & back on the road!!

Hi Mike. My second car was a 1973 VW Fastback. It was the same colour green as a traffic light. Never had a problem finding it in a parking lot. Loved that thing. It was old when I bought it, for $200. Drove it for two years and never had to put any money into it except for oil changes. Sold it after two year for? You guessed it: $200! They don't make them like that anymore.

Cheers,

Christina.

15 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Hi Mike. My second car was a 1973 VW Fastback. It was the same colour green as a traffic light. Never had a problem finding it in a parking lot. Loved that thing. It was old when I bought it, for $200. Drove it for two years and never had to put any money into it except for oil changes. Sold it after two year for? You guessed it: $200! They don't make them like that anymore.

Cheers,

Christina.

Before some fool decided to take the engine out,,,,,

1951516838_P1010615(Medium).JPG.53ad17ce02cdd99a2b3d889355911049.JPG

Not green but its an odd colour, I believe its called Shantung Yellow, more of a magnolia really quite yellow in the shade but very white in the sun.

56 minutes ago, Gag.Halfrunt said:

Not a problem, they put a spare in the boot.

Funny as when at the super market when you start putting the shopping the "front boot", even funnier when you open the back & shoved a few things in the "rear boot"!!

• 4 weeks later...

Been on here for a while but should probably fill this out.

I'm Willie and from Edinburgh, Scotland (hence the avatar). Moved to Brisbane 2 years ago and residing in North Lakes (a.k.a Little Britain). I'm 31 Got a wife and 2 daughters, 9 years old, 10 months and a boxer called ralf who is my only male companion in the house despite the lack of.......

Started brewing last year after being harassed by my old workplace. First one was pretty rancid and had to wait a year for my next because the house was too hot and couldn't temperature control. I done my second earlier this year and because of hops additions and temp control it was infinitely better, crystal clear and felt I could share it with my mates.

I play real football (soccer to you guys) almost exclusively just to keep me from getting a real beer belly ?

Still doing extract brews just now, only my 3rd ever brew which is a raspberry & lime cider. Got my next one lined up, again extract and hops, but would like to slowly move in to grains so expect a tonne of questions because all the lingo and acronyms confuse the hell out of me. I've also ran the idea of a kegerator past the wife and she seems surprisingly open to it so hopefully in the next year or so i'll have a tonne of those questions too.

Just wanted to post a little update about my state of employment. I have been working at the same dealership as a mechanic for 13 years. Its the only job i have ever had, but its time to move on from that joint. Sick of how its run and the way the boss treats everyone like dirt. I start at a new dearlership this Monday and can't wait. The boss is friendly and it seems to be run very well. Time to start a new chapter in my working life.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2018 at 5:19 PM, Scottie said:

...In my comeback game three years ago the wicket keeper in the opposing team was 68. This year against the 2nd rated team (we were only 4th) I (wicketkeeping) got cleaned up by another 60 odd batsman (looked about 65) taking a single.

I heard about this geriatric cricket league that started up down in Tassie. A novel idea on the surface as it was supposed to be something else the older folk could play instead of lawn bowls.

After the first two rounds there had been more injuries than runs scored & those that had survived usually only lasted the first two sessions of play as most had either fallen asleep in the field or in the pavilion before the tea session. ?

I believe it was scrapped soon after & most that are not still in hospital, are now back at the lawn bowls clubs. ?

?

Cheers,

Lusty.

3 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I heard about this geriatric cricket league that started up down in Tassie. A novel idea on the surface as it was supposed to be something else the older folk could play instead of lawn bowls.

After the first two rounds there had been more injuries than runs scored & those that had survived usually only lasted the first two sessions of play as most had either fallen asleep in the field or in the pavilion before the tea session. ?

I believe it was scrapped soon after & most that are not still in hospital, are now back at the lawn bowls clubs. ?

?

Cheers,

Lusty.

image.png.32ceb2a72657156bffe6e72ba7bfdbe3.png

Nuff Said

I'm Glenn, 51, from Adelaide's east. Married, 2 kids (son 22, daughter 16).
Muzz is derivative of my surname and my preferred moniker.
Like our learned comrade, Otto, I drive public transport buses. I work on the O-Bahn mainly (That's a guided busway for those who don't know).
From childhood to my mid 30s I played footy (Aussie rules) and cricket, mainly at Gaza S&SC, where I'm a life member. I played golf casually for many years until my golf mates either died or moved interstate.
I started home brewing over 20 years ago, pre internet, and gave it up rather rapidly after numerous fails. Took it up again at Xmas 2017 when my son showed an interest. So far we're strictly kit & kilo brewers but this second foray into brewing has been far more rewarding. The improved equipment, the internet support of youtube and the very helpful folks on here have made my brewing achieve far better results this time around. 

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

We have an old Adelaide bus sitting in the depot at the moment. Dunno how old it is but looks 1960s or 70s to me. I'll grab a pic today, you might recognise it.

I think that may be a current Adelaide bus.

Hi I’m ken (chook) been on here for years and years (just don’t post a lot ) started brewing in SA using Coopers kits, then moved around a lot with work. Ended up on the mid north coast of NSW near Nambucca Heads. For a while I was working for Lion (no not a brewer) and got introduced to the world of craft beer through James Squire. Even did some beer appreciation with Chuck Hahn!

i brew both extract and all grain (using a Grainfather), love the recipes of the month from Coopers and enjoy the Mr Beer recipes for something different!

i love a good Pale Ale and Porter! But try anything. Actually enjoying a Hop slam Bavarian right now!

cheers

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

There you go, set to go into service next month ?IMG_20180717_145136.thumb.jpg.b8327e9fea2a38d06d95f12e6ec9802c.jpg

A Volvo from the 70s. I started driving buses in 1999 and there were still a few of these still in service. Bloody good buses to drive. They actually responded when you put your foot on the accelerator. Not like now, all the buses have severe lag.

4 minutes ago, Muzz1525230212 said:

A Volvo from the 70s. I started driving buses in 1999 and there were still a few of these still in service. Bloody good buses to drive. They actually responded when you put your foot on the accelerator. Not like now, all the buses have severe lag.

That's one thing I forken hate about most of the buses we have. They take ages to respond. And then the buggers removed the kick down on the accelerators so going up hills takes a  hundred years. The tag axle and artic ones we have are fine but the regular ones are shit.

Archived