Coopers Community

about ourselves

Nick

....and they let him drive buses!! [whistling

There are obviously a lot of people high up in administration there at the Queensland State Transport Authority that are big fans of the Simpsons! [lol]

Good onya Ottoman! [biggrin]

Anthony.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

G'day, I'm Ben, I'm 41, I got my kit as a late Christmas present to myself late last year; or more correctly, my wife agreed it was time I stopped spending so much on beer, and agreed to kick start my home brewing with a DIY kit.

I've done some dodgy brewing with a lacklustre kit half a lifetime ago, but have enjoyed a renaissance of home brewing with my Coopers DIY kit.

I'm a K&K or kits and bits brewer; I like to dabble in adding some hops, and sometimes tinker a little with the recipe, but nothing too extreme.

I'm a bit of a knockabout, having been a deckhand, public servant, gardener, dabbled in factory and other contract work, and a bit of office admin.

Currently either getting the life experience up to be a writer, or bumming around not looking for work (depending on your perspective, who you ask, or how I'm feeling at the time).

I love the way home brewing is a mixture of science and art, and how it engages so many of your senses as a tactile experience; smell, taste, feel, temperature etc.

I haven't made a perfect brew yet; but I don't really believe in perfection, however I reckon after having done a few batches in my time that I can brew up a better beer than you can buy from the megaswill brewers, and cheaper too.

Oh and I want to be Kelsey in my next life.

I play guitar (if you can call it that), but have never really been in a band unless you count a few one off jam sessions.

I write when I feel like adding my 2c worth here and on some other websites that are not beer related.

I am learning to be happy with less, as the more you have the more you want and I've had enough of the materialist roundabout that so many think is normal existence.

This was a good bump Scottie and Chad. Its good to hear from the horde of new members and also to have PB2 join in (soz for the skunk joke Paul, i bet there having a laugh in Siberia though[lol]) Its good that a few originals are reposting as well as we all have more in common than the love of real beer.

Cheers, Nick

Anyway' date=' since everyone's been doing this I might as well get in on it as well. [lol']

My real first name is Kelsey, as it says in my sig, I'm 26, and I'm currently working as a bus driver for Brisbane City Council which I started in August. It's gotta be the cruisiest job in the world. It was this job which has provided me the cash to upgrade to AG. Prior to that I was self employed as a courier driver which looking back was largely a waste of time and effort given the amount of expenses associated with it. It's almost impossible to make anything out of it. And before that I did an apprenticeship on a golf course as a greenkeeper. I obviously love my beer, I enjoy a night out at the pub with my mates, and I often go to friends' places with a few brews for them to try which usually go down a treat, which is good!

I play guitar in a heavy rock band, and this photo was taken at the filming of our first video clip, not the greatest but anyway [lol] - I've actually cut my hair shorter since then:

561798_396599417073314_232520052_n.jpg

[lol] I love this picture![devil]

I always wanted to know what Dicky Knee really looked like[biggrin]

• 1 month later...

Hello PhilboBaggins

I posted my answer here to stay on topic.

I hail from down Bunbury way. I now live on The Estate where my brewery The Kernel's is located. As new brewers do I brewed lots of hoppy Ales in my early days, dry hops in every brew. Nowadays I brew most often without dry hopping, Australian and English Ales, Lagers and Pilsners.

Hi my friends on the forum,

I've been putting down kits and kilos for over 30 years now, and my interest in progressing to the next step was aroused on a trip to Tasmania in September where I tasted Willie Simpson's Kentish Ale (7 Sheds), also had some georgeous brews at Hobart's New Sydney Hotel.

On returning home to Qld, I signed on to the Cooper's Forum, and it's been like a light switching on, in terms of how much I didn't know!

As a full time commercial pilot for most of my working life (apart from a few years in the broadcasting business early on) I didn't have too many opportunities to really enjoy a good beer session, however since retiring a couple of years ago to return to our olive farm, I now have the luxury of time to devote to the things I WANT to do, rather than the things I HAVE to do. (Although the olive trees are pretty damn demanding at times!!!)

And so I've just begun on the journey back to AG. I did an AG 30 years ago, and it took all day and was beautiful, but time was the killer. So far in my brewing 'renaissance' , I've put down a couple of ESVAs, Chubby Cherub, Steam Beer, Hefeweizen, Mr Sinister, along with some nice'n'easy Canadian Blondes, Draughts and 'Lagers'.

Just re-organised my storage shelves this morning, and realised I have 23 dozen in the bottle, and only a dozen or so empties left! So I guess the key is to either make mini-brews, or quickly acquire a network of beer-drinking buddies to help you drink it all!!! Trouble is, as we discussed on another post, most 'beer drinkers' have an undying belief that the only 'real' beer is mega-swill.

But the 'craft beer' industry is picking up, as evidenced by the big retailers now cashing in on the term, but importantly, I think, is that your average punter is now aware that there's more to drinking enjoyment than xxxxGold. It's all good!

• 3 months later...

Time to Bump this thread, you guys are getting slack biggrin

Actually I was trying to track John DA to find his yeast rinsing lessons and I know he's in here somewhere bandit

I'm still Scottie (I know a few will be surprised about that), I love my Coopers DIY and I love Coopers for introducing me to the world of brewing at home. I don't like the word home brewer as it has many negative connatations, especially from people who have never tried some of our homebrew.

I have many interests but at the moment only two hobbies; Brewing Beer and studying at University - yeah I don't find the two mutually exclusive.

Anyway I'll see if I can find John DA's post, and in the meantime these should be plenty of brewers who are new to this post who can tell us about themselves.

Thanks Nick for the thread.

Cheers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Hi all,

Just found this thread on the forum, so as the new guy, thought I'd contribute.

I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and was sick of all the Miller product, Budweiser product and such, so thought I'd try my own. Also, the yanks are HUGE on IPAs now, and as these aren't my cup of tea, had to brew some lager and pilsner.

I'm 41 and fly planes for a living. And drink beer when I'm not doing that.

Shakespear

Hi all' date='

Just found this thread on the forum, so as the new guy, thought I'd contribute.

I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and was sick of all the Miller product, Budweiser product and such, so thought I'd try my own. Also, the yanks are HUGE on IPAs now, and as these aren't my cup of tea, had to brew some lager and pilsner.

I'm 41 and fly planes for a living. And drink beer when I'm not doing that.

Shakespear[/quote']

Milwaukee looks cool. This is how I picture it:

G'day, just for Scottie. tongue

G'day I'm a newbie brewer with a chequered history' date=' first thing I ever brewed was the classic Aussie Ginger Beer from a plant, bottle ferment and carbonate as a teenager in the early 70's. [img']wink[/img]

Had a crack at home brew in the early eighties and again in the mid nineties, mostly drinkable, well I talked myself in to it, but my adventure was short lived. surprisedsurprised

Well here I 'am now got a Coopers DIY kit, have bottled the Lager in the kit, got a CPA in the FV and it should be ready to bottle on Tuesday the 4/2/2014. happy

Next will be a Coopers IPA, will just stick with the basic kits to work things out for me and my situation, hopefully this will help me get my head around what I'm doing. smile

Having a reasonable education, School of Hard Knocks credit graduate and University of Real World, majored in Getting By and How to Get it Done, oh being able to count and read and write helped, thanks to the NSW education department of the sixties and seventies.

I've been busy here reading lots of post, very informative, some I even have some idea what’s being discussed, others, well I've got a lot to learn to understand.

Thanks all, oh and I will have lots of questions. preferred music Rock and or Roll old and new!

Hey Magnaman

Am I first? Welcome to the forum and good luck with the brewing. Stick around and share the experience. I can't wait for you to post your first Mitsubishi Pale Ale recipe.

Rock on and Hang Loose dude cool

Not much has changed in a couple of months. happywink

Cheers.

Mmmmmm Magnaman

Not only did I miss that one, but I was the first to reply.

There is another forum member who never forgets a post, but alas I am not he.

Good to see that things change up there as slowly as they do down here.

RDWHAHB

Scottie

Mmmmmm Magnaman

Not only did I miss that one' date=' but I was the first to reply.

There is another forum member who never forgets a post, but alas I am not he.

Good to see that things change up there as slowly as they do down here.

RDWHAHB

[i']Scottie[/i]

No worries cobber, we brew beer to drink beer, not to be perfect, only to enjoy. wink

Cheers.

Currently...

50 y/o

Married

7 Kids

Web Developer

North West Sydney

100kg's cool

Computers

Golf/Beer

Fishing/Beer

Beer/Beer

Financially Challenged

Wests Tigers (05, I was there)

Previuosly....

Carpenter

Property Manager

Helicopter Pilot

Scuba Diver

Wealthy

Tooheys New? sick

Wests Tigers

In The Future...

4 Teenage Daughters at the same time + 3 Sons (Brewers)

Broke

Old

Wise

Beer

Wests Tigers

Happy Days smile

Guzz Mate

You're gunna need to brew more beer' date=' Trust me I know.

Cheers

[i']Scottie[/i]

My 2 new FV's are being delivered ASAP

fv.JPG

Just doing a GOOGLE search now for REALLY BIG AIRLOCKS....

w00t

Guzz Mate

You're gunna need to brew more beer' date=' Trust me I know.

Cheers

[i']Scottie[/i]

My 2 new FV's are being delivered ASAP

fv.JPG

Just doing a GOOGLE search now for REALLY BIG AIRLOCKS....

w00t

come on mate, you only need a big bit of cling wrap! rolleyes

come on mate' date=' you only need a big bit of cling wrap! [img']rolleyes[/img]

I actually like air-locks. In my fermenting room, I have a bed and I sometimes duck in there for a power nap during the day (I work from home), and the bloop bloops send me to sleep.

It's especially effective when both air-locks are going.

It's like Stereo bloop bloops, plays little tunes for me AND the C02 and hop aroma helps me to sleep sleeping

• 6 months later...

Thanks Scottie, I was looking for this thread a few weeks back........ Obviously it was a boys look!

34 yrs old

Racehorse veterinarian

Reside in the outer SE suburbs of Melbourne

2 kids, 1 of each, 3 and 5.

Divorced (but like Richmond FC I'm currently in a state of rebuilding!)

Dabbled in the home brewing arts at Uni with my flat mates. Gave it away until 2years ago when I recieved a DIY kit for my B'Day. Due to work and family commitments I am primarily a K+B brewer, but I'm happy with that!

Cheers,

Dave.

May I suggest, no insist, that anyone who reads beyond the next full "full stop" should don suitable personal protective equipment, particularly very firm thoracic bandaging to avoid serious rib injuries from laughter. Life lowlights:

• Born an aquarian in '59

Apart from a huge interest in IT dating back to '76 (special interests in OS's & network security including SANS and Novell certifications), I've fiddled around with several hobbies to get to a level of mediocrity of which I'm not ashamed.

Then brewing popped up on the vista, about 18 months ago, and have taken to it like a yeast cell to maltose. A huge amount of help and patience on the part of many people here (and I'm sure you know who you are), some reading, research and lateral thinking, and I'm in a pretty happy place now.

Cheers

Hey Phil

There are some parallels in our stories.

Albeit I was born in 64 and I'm not a dentist.

I started an Apprenticeship in '81 and have never really finished my education.

Two Apprenticeships, Industrial Electronics, Associate Diploma in Electrical Engineering and numerous other electrical control modules and this was all before reality TV made its all so boring presence known.

I have just graduated from Uni, Distance Education they call it now, in Human Resource/Business Management. At this point in time I have no plans to study further.

My youngest was born in 2000.

I don't have ADHD, but I have experienced it first hand. You and Einstein have a lot in common.

I love brewing, in fact I only Drink so that I can Brew.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Albeit I was born in 64 and I'm not a dentist.

Scottie' date=' it's obvious you are one helluva lot smarter than I have ever given you credit for.

I started an Apprenticeship in '81 and have never really finished my education.

Two Apprenticeships, Industrial Electronics, Associate Diploma in Electrical Engineering and numerous other electrical control modules and this was all before reality TV made its all so boring presence known.

A person who also wasn't certain what he/she wanted to do with his/her life when they had to make a decision as a mid teenager? It's easy to place blame, but my excuse was always I was expected to do something "clever" (but in hindsight after 40 years) I'm pretty sure that was just my interpretation of events. Being so young and immature (just 16 and a half when I started uni), and my brother doing medicine and elder sister doing pharmacy, my entire decision making was that medicine takes 7 years (at that stage), and dentistry only 5 - how clever is that for a decision for the next 45 years of your life!

I have just graduated from Uni, Distance Education they call it now, in Human Resource/Business Management. At this point in time I have no plans to study further.

My youngest was born in 2000.

I don't have ADHD, but I have experienced it first hand. You and Einstein have a lot in common.

I love brewing, in fact I only Drink so that I can Brew.

You have nothing but admiration from me, big boy. I know how hard it is to study for a significant length of time and have a full time job and look after your better half with all the minor crises going on in-between. As for me, I didn't even have kids then, so you are my new idol.

But, I do have to correct you. Einstein had an awfully lot more hair than I do at the same age! However, like you, (and I suspect like B10 the way he puts them down), I brew way faster than I drink!

Cheers and I'll keep trying to equal the equation

Phil

(and I suspect like B10 the way he puts them down)' date=' I brew way faster than I drink!

[/quote']

Nope, I need to brewfaster as I struggle to keep up.

3 FVs needing bottling and no where near enough bottles.

Or is that I need to drink faster to empty bottles?

Chicken or the egg?

I reckon the rooster came first.

Archived