Coopers Community

2nd brew

benh18

sooo.... ive just put down my second brew ever, a canadian blonde with manuka honey. both brews had a sg reading around 1040.

im wondering if its too late to add something like glucose syrup or something else to up the sg reading? thus uping the final alcohol content?

or do i have no idea what im talking about, and should just let things be?

sooo.... ive just put down my second brew ever, a canadian blonde with manuka honey. both brews had a sg reading around 1040.

im wondering if its too late to add something like glucose syrup or something else to up the sg reading? thus uping the final alcohol content?

or do i have no idea what im talking about, and should just let things be?

Its probably not to late, but assuming you used 1kg of BE 1 as per the recipe, your beer will come out around 4.5% after bottle priming. I wouldnt go much stronger as this is a nice easy drinking beer on a warm day and you dont want to have too much of an alcohol bite. It is nice 2 weeks after bottling, but much better after a month. The honey flavour drops and is replaced with a nice smooth, creamy flavour and texture. Its a nice beer with yellow box honey, hopefully manuka will be the same.

Cheers and welcome Ben.

You can do that and you can also stir it in with a sanitised spoon.

But the best way would be to boil some water mixed with dex, chill it down to the temp of the FV and then pour it in.

But also listen to Nick. Brewing beer is all about balance and whacking dex in to boost the ABV may cause the beer to be unbalanced. Especially in a light style like the Canadian Blonde.

If you have used 1kg BE1 then you have already added 600g of dextrose. Adding more may make the beer too dry, thin and cidery.

i actually used about 300gm brew 1' date=' 120ish of dex. and 500gm of LDM + 340gm of honey[/quote']

Hey Ben, if you want to brew a big, f**k off beer, with stacks of flavour and a real punch, have a go at the IPA in the "how to brew" strong beer section. its a dead easy recipe and slightly elevated temps shouldnt do it much harm. Its another one that is good after a fortnight, but a balltearer after a month.

Hi Nick.

Hey Ben' date=' if you want to brew a big, f**k off beer, with stacks of flavour and a real punch...[/quote']

What happened to the 'drinking in moderation' philosophy/spiel? [whistling [tongue] [lol]

Hahaha! Good on ya Nick! [biggrin]

Anthony.

thanks for all the replys guys.

nick.. that IPA looks like its going on the to do list [biggrin]

so to ease my mind i sprinkled in a bit more brew 1 and that'll have to do it. ill know the outcome in a few days!

another crazy experiment on this one was to use safeale s33 yeast,i dont know why... i think i read somewhere it was really clean. fermentation seems very slow, with no bubbles coming from the airlock, there is a pleasant beer and yeast smell around the FV and a grubby mark above the wort line so i assume all is good???

When I brewed with an air lock it didn't bubble once; not one little bubble or blurp sound [crying]

It was just that the seal around the airlock wasn't completely tight and allowed the gas to escape through there.

As Adam said, ignore the airlock. It shouldn't be used as an indicator of fermentation but rather a means to allow gas to escape.

The grubby mark at the wort line is a good sign though.

I say don't ignore the airlock.

If it doesn't bubble, fix it.

I think they're an awesome way to see how hard your yeast are working.

And they sound so soothing[joyful]

i wouldn't trust them to tell me when the brew is done, but for sure they are a great indicator of progress.

Archived