Coopers Community

Coopers Bitter - What went wrong??

Philthy

A question for any Home Brewers who can help.

I Recently put down a batch of Coopers Bitter and due to very cold temps, I left the wort for over three weeks, with regular readings not dropping below 1040. Finally after 21 days the readings steadied at 1010, so I bottled.

The temperature where I store my botles (inside old fridge) was getting down as low as 10 degrees and maybe only up to 18 degrees at best. Not the ideal range I know!

After two weeks in the bottle I have tried a couple of bottles and the colour is quite dark and tastes quite flat.

Have I wrecked the beer by leaving in the wort too long or has secondary fermentation not started due to the low temps?

I have done the squeeze test on the bottles and they are all solid which gives me the impression that they are retaining some C02.

I have put the remaining bottles into a warmer room in the hope I can revive them. I know other people who bottle in Canberra during winter and their beer always turns out great.

Please help. I don't want to throw the batch away if it can be saved!!

Phil

Wollongong

In my opinion, I would say it's definetly the fact that it's too cold in the fridge. I've had the same thing happen to me.

Keep in mind you have to keep the same temperature in secondary fermentation as you do in the primary (21 - 28 degrees) for at least one week after bottling. Then you can keep at room temperature after that. (I'm not sure what coopers consider as "room temperature")

I think it's best if you can keep the beer at around 21 degrees when conditioning it in bottles.

As for your beer. It should get better now you've got it warmer. All that happenes is the yeast gets lazy when it's too cold, so when you warm it up, it'll wake up and start working again.

Thanks Wal.. I should clarify that the fridge is not working. I was using as an insulater to keep the cold out.

I tried a bottle that had been in the warmth of the kitchen cupboards yesterday and even though it had only been inside for a few days (after being out in the cold for two weeks. The difference in tase was amazing. I am looking forward to trying it in a months time when I am hoping it will be even better.

PS: Should it be a dark colour. Mine is like an amber ale.

Cheers

Another wise man once said. "If you don't drink beer, just remember, that when you wake up in the morning, that's as good as your going to feel all day!!"

Archived