Coopers Community

yeasts

davids47

Where iam in Tassie have trouble getting the yeast alot of you talk about

Safale and saflager seem to be the most common that we cam get,

i here of Wyeast and its not on self here and have to order it from mainland. is the extra cost in getting Wyeast worth it, i like my ales red irish, Newcastle,and if i do go down the Wyeast trail ,is there that much differance in THEM ,to the finished beer?

Yeast contribute much of the flavour to a finished beer, Id suggest that you get a brew you are familiar with and ferment with a liquid yeast so you can compare the difference for yourself.

If you look into splitting a liquid yeast, you can get many uses out of it making it as cheap if not cheaper than buying a dry pack each time.

Yob

I agree with Yob... I too find it difficult to get liquid yeast but when I can now I always split it into test tubes then make a starter and step it up to the required pitch rate. Doing this properly you will not have to buy the same strain more than once so can't get much cheaper than that [kissing]

I always split it into test tubes then make a starter and step it up to the required pitch rate. .... can't get much cheaper than that [kissing]

I am now using Wyeast and I also need to order it off the Internet. I have not yet split the pack as Yob and Bill do, I smack the pack and pitch the whole lot. Even so I rinse the yeast from the trub and therefore get multiple brews from the one yeast pack. I got five brews out of my 1275 (Thames Valley Ale yeast) and for a $14 investment this represents good value for money. I am now using 1056 in my brews. When brewing one similar brew after another this method works fine. I rinsed a batch of 1056 on Tuesday for the 2nd time and got enough yeast for at least three brews. Even if there is only enough there for two brews I have doubled by return and yeast spend per Brew will be less than $2, great value for a quality liquid yeast.

I have not yet split the pack as Yob and Bill do, I smack the pack and pitch the whole lot

TBH I only buy Liquid for a specialty beer, the yeast Im using ATM is one that was given to me so ultimate price [roll]

Even so I rinse the yeast from the trub

Yeah Baby [w00t] thats where its at..

oh yeah.. and a stirplate

stirplate.jpg

[love] [ninja] [bandit] [rightful] [roll] [lol] [innocent] [whistling [w00t]

*ed - turned this off this morning after 36 hours spinning

Yeah stir plates rock Gangnam Style. tumblr_manhql99fm1r81wtbo1_500.gif

I nearly have a stirplate together..... am sick of shaken it!... just waiting on the light dimmer and power supply which should turn up any tick of the clock. All up so far it has cost less than $10 so am happy with that.

I put 30ml of rinsed yeast (month old) into that flask 36 hours ago and now I have enough for a pitch and store some for next use [bandit]

Stirplates are ultimate... I guess PB2 doesnt need to worry about that though..

"Hey mr Yeast Lab Guy.. whip me up a starter for the weekend"

[lol] bast**d [lol]

I am a fan of Notto. Some brews, though I find US05 to be more to my liking. I recently used Notto it in my house brew (Cascade Draught) which I mostly use the kit yeast for. It's seems to be a bit 'tart' or something. I think the kit yeast if pitching the right amount of yeast to be more suitable for my tastes.

I guess what I'm getting at is there is a "right" yeast for every brew for your individual taste![alien] [sideways]

I would, have and will again [rightful]

Nottingham is a yeast for UK beer styles and goes well in an English Ale. [bandit]

Having said the above, it does pretty good in a lot of different styles as well imo, including APAs.

Archived