Sign in to follow this  
Sticky Wicket

Temperature Control

Nick, when you wire up the STC1000 you will have a connection for cooling & heating. These will be female plugs. You plug the fridge into the cooling plug & your heat source into the heating side.

There is a sensor probe with the controller which you place next to the side of the fermenter. I use an occy strap & some foam to insulate it so it only reads the temperature of the wort.

The wire to the sensor is pretty small so it goes past the seal of the fridge door no problems.

i was thinking that was the case, but why does it require wiring internally when all you do is plug in a heat or cooling source?

You will have to get a box like a jiffy box from an electrical supplies store like Jaycar.

It is a plastic box that you mount the controller in. That way all the wiring is enclosed inside, you are dealing with 240 volts.

I bought one along with the plugs so I have the controller on the front of the box & the plugs for the fridge & heat source on each side.

There are threads on this forum about mounting & wiring these. A search should find something or someone may be able to point you in the right direction.

I should point out it is recommended that you have an electrician connect or check it prior to using it.

The searing temperatures of a typical Aussie summer are now upon us.

Maybe where you are, up here it's struggling to get over 25\xb0C most days lately. [lol]

The searing temperatures of a typical Aussie summer are now upon us.

Maybe where you are, up here it's struggling to get over 25\xb0C most days lately. [lol]

Yeah, here too. I very nearly put a jacket on yesterday [crying]

The wire to the sensor is pretty small so it goes past the seal of the fridge door no problems.

or you can do as I did and drill straight through the back of it and wire your heat source through there. [wink]

Hi guys.

My apologies for digging up an old thread, but it is pertinent to my following suggestions & references. Earlier in this thread back in early November (Post#17), I offered up a possible solution to help brewers that primary ferment without the aid of a temperature controlled brew fridge, to still be able to brew at more acceptable temperatures. At the time, I had no facts to back up the suggestion I had made.

I followed through on my word, purchased the product, & conducted some testing on it today. Sorry for the delay, I have been busy brewing. [tongue]

Initially not knowing what impact the sheets would have on the fermenter, I started with 2 sheets on opposite sides of the FV, wrapped in a towling sheet (doubled over), & held firmly to the outer surface of the FV by 2 high & low positioned adjustable velcro straps. I positioned a digital temperature probe in the middle to one side of the FV away from the ice packs to view current FV temperature. I used a traditional mercury based temperature gauge for the following ambient temperature figures, so forgive me if they are slightly out from the actual temperatures at the time.

2 x Techni Ice Sheet Test

Time: 8.00am. Ambient Temp = 23.5\xb0C <-----------> Starting FV Temp = 20.0\xb0C

Time: 9.00am. Ambient Temp = 24\xb0C <-----------> Respective FV Temp = 19.5\xb0C

Time: 10.00am. Ambient Temp = 24.5\xb0C <------> Respective FV Temp = 19.0\xb0C

The first hour I accepted that the ice packs & the temp probe were \u201csettling\u201d. After the second hour, I realised that the 2 ice packs were indeed cooling the FV, & subsequently removed one as this experiment was all about attempting to maintain temperature in the FV & regulate that temperature as best as possible.

I continued on with one of the two sheets attached\u2026

1 x Techni Ice Sheet Test

Time: 11.00am. Ambient Temp = 24.8\xb0C <----> Respective FV Temp = 19.0\xb0C

Time: 12.00pm. Ambient Temp = 25\xb0C <------> Respective FV Temp = 19.1\xb0C

Time: 1.00pm. Ambient Temp = 25.5\xb0C <-----> Respective FV Temp = 19.2\xb0C

Time: 2.00pm. Ambient Temp = 25.9\xb0C* <----> Respective FV Temp = 19.4\xb0C

Time: 3.00pm. Ambient Temp = 25.8\xb0C <------> Respective FV Temp = 19.7\xb0C

Time: 4.00pm. Ambient Temp = 25.0\xb0C <------> Respective FV Temp = 19.9\xb0C

Time: 5.00pm. Ambient Temp = 25.2\xb0C <------> Respective FV Temp = 20.1\xb0C

Time: 6.00pm. Ambient Temp = 25.5\xb0C <------> Respective FV Temp = 20.2\xb0C

Time: 7.00pm. Ambient Temp = 26.1\xb0C <------> Respective FV Temp = 20.3\xb0C

Time: 8.00pm. Ambient Temp = 26.2\xb0C** <---> Respective FV Temp = 20.7\xb0C

Time: 9.00pm. Ambient Temp = 25.1\xb0C <------> Respective FV Temp = 20.7\xb0C

Time: 10.00pm. Ambient Temp = 24.8\xb0C <----> Respective FV Temp = 20.3\xb0C

Time: 11.00pm. Ambient Temp = 24.0\xb0C <----> Respective FV Temp = 20.3\xb0C

The outside temperature in my area of Adelaide today reached 30.2\xb0C @ 6.40pm.

* = I turned on the fan of my home Evap aircon for my own comfort.

** = Ice pack changeover.

So what does all this mumbo jumbo really mean? It means not only can you maintain a good temperature for fermenting your beer while subject to ambient temperatures, you can also reduce FV temperatures after pitching your yeast, to brew at sub 20\xb0C temps if wanted & maintain those temperatures within reasonable levels over the course of a 8-12hr period daily.

As the test clearly shows what ONE of these sheets is capable of, one can certainly see how versatile up to as many 5 of these could be around your FV to attain the temperatures you want. The sheets themselves last way longer than normal ice & are capable of dealing with ambient temperatures far better, for far longer, with less maintenance. The facts speak for themselves, & everyone\u2019s situation can be adapted through understanding ambient temperatures & careful manipulation with use of this product to suit individuals needs, at least for ale brewing temperatures.

I would add that this practice is subject to ambient temperatures & how well you insulate the ice packs from the outside ambient temperatures as to how long they will be able to hold temperature within a certain spectrum.

By no means am I advocating this method as a substitute for true temperature control by means of controlled refridgeration, but for those that for any number of reasons are unable to house a temp controlled brew fridge, no more excuses for not brewing over the summer.

Should anyone have any questions surrounding my experiment or this topic, don\u2019t hesitate to ask. I hope this information helps a lot of you guys out over the summer period.

Anthony.

The link you posted back in November doesn't work.

Are the 'sheets' you refer to basically THESE?

Good job by the way, it sounds pretty convenient. [happy]

The link you posted back in November doesn't work.

Are the 'sheets' you refer to basically THESE?

Good job by the way, it sounds pretty convenient. [happy]

I think this is the correct link:

Techni Ice

Sorry about the failed link in my November post guys. They've obviously been playing with sections of their website since I posted that.

Thanks for providing the correct link Hairy. [happy]

Just as a quick follow up, the new ice pack that was switched in at 8.00pm last night stayed on over night, & come 9.00am this morning, my FV temperature is still at 20.3\xb0C. It's due to be switched out for a new one about now though. [joyful]

It was a long day yesterday. Brewing up Chad's IPA recipe combined with monitoring the temperatures of the experimental FV (That has a real brew in it). If it helps a few of you guys out over the summer, it will have all been worth it. [biggrin]

P.S. Thanks for the kind words Eoin. [happy]

Anthony.