Coopers Community

hopping disaster?

Nick

i added some boiled cascade pellets to a brew that i bottled last weekend. there were varied opinions here on straining or not straining and i opted to not strain. the brew was in the FV for 10 days. now i have noticed hop particles in the bottles that rise from the bottom of the bottle if you just pick it up. i cant see the particles settling as they are too big for that, but if they dont, what can be done? i think straining the beer when i pour it may be the only solution...any ideas lads?[annoyed]

Can't help with this brew but this is why hops should be strained or constrained.

Plenty of people just throw them in but I have never been happy with that method for the exact result you are now faced with.

Not much help but I can only suggest live and learn [cool]

I usually just chuck them [hops] in, usually they settle out and compact with the yeast in the bottom of the bottle. Having said that I do have one brew with a few floaties, it doesn't bother me but I'm sure it'll bother others.

Anyhoo, drink more beer and you'll not notice the floating bits.

Cheers.

Hk

A method I was told when I did the same thing was to put the bottles in the fridge a few days before you plan on drinking them. This will settle out any floaties and cause the yeast cake on the bottom to firm up. Worked a treat in a draught I did with Galaxy hops pellets I threw in. Everyone that tried them LOVED it. Good luck. I now use a paint strainer bag when hopping just to stop that very problem. Good luck, not many options now the horse has bolted. Just drink up. [happy]

I go commando all the way. Just chuck then in. No problems to report here. Having said that, I have used some hop flowers recently. What a pain they are. They swell up and block your tap and you end up losing litres of beer that you either can't get out or is absorbed by the flowers.

Damian.

Hi Nick.

If it were me, I'd leave them alone for a good while, then when you want to drink them, give them a good week upright in the fridge beforehand. This should force & compact as much of the sediment as possible. When you pour the beer to drink, pour it slowly like you are decanting.

If that doesn't give you the result you are after, use a small tight weave tea strainer to pour the beer through, like you already suggested.

I guess it's safe to say, you've now converted to 'Muslin'! [lol] [tongue] [biggrin]

Beer.

I wouldn't be straining it post ferment as it will increase the likelihood of oxidation. If you need to do this then I suggest using a filter.

Personally if it were me and I wasn't happy about it I'd just make any changes for next time and take this one on the chin.

well, surprise surprise, the one i chilled tastes unreal, the hopsey sediment stayed on the bottom as i poured. i loved the hop taste that i got and will just change my process to avoid floaties next time. cheers Yob, i think it twas your hop addition suggestion.

Cheers All

Archived