Coopers Community

Dishwashers?

Scott1525226136

I have heard of people using a dishwasher to sanitise bottles but I can't see how the water can get up as far as the base of the bottle with the normal sprinkler arrangement. The neck of the bottle is too narrow to allow adequate water flow. Modifying the dishwasher with some sort of nozzle system so that water is directed into every bottle would be necessary in my opinion. Without that modification you would have to ensure that the bottles were physically clean prior to placing them in the dishwasher.

I've also heard of people putting their bottles in the oven after rinsing. The heat will kill any bacteria and it also dries the bottles out.

use this method at own risk.

ovens are hot, and hot glass can burn.

I've also heard that the high temperatures can weaken the bottles. But I don't see why it should matter if you set the oven to 100 degrees... because that's how hot the boiling water most people use is.

More to the point - if you pick up a hot bottle you are likely to instinctivley drop it. If you drop it it will probably break. Losing glass tallies is very upsetting. And you are left with a sore hand too - apply a cold schooner glass to soothe the burn.

Archived