Coopers Community

fermenting on the road

c41171

Next year I'm retiring and the bride and I intend to spent a couple of years doing the big trip around Oz, seeing as how we both like a cold drink on a hot day and it can get quite expensive in remote areas I was considering taking my brew gear with me and was wondering how the fermentation could handle being shook up whilst traveling. Has anyone else done this?

Haven't done it, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

When we do yeast cultures at work, we actually shake them to promote growth - they actually grow a lot slower when sitting still. So, you might find that fermentation might go a little quicker than normal - since they'll probably grow (and consume sugar) faster than they would sitting still at the same temperature, as they do in a normal ferment.

If you use a standard coopers fermenter, you might need to modify your air lock perhaps - since when the liquid moves around in the fermenter, the pressure will change somewhat - and I dont know if this might draw water in from the airlock or not.. so you might need to check on that. You could, alternatively, use a modified "airlock" with an open-air system (an "airopen"? ;) ) - just put some tightly woven mesh over the top of it (to stop any exotic bacteria or yeast getting in) which would let the air move freely through. If you put this on the top of a standard airlock, chances are that any bouncing around in the back of a caravan wont spill up and wet the mesh - because it'll have to pass through the airlock loop first.

good luck sir!

kieran :D

another alternative would be to attatch some hose into the airlock grommet then attach the airlock to the hose and mount the airlock above the fermentor, eg. tape it to the side of a cupboard or make a special bracket for it

don't you mean mount the airlock under the fermenter? so the water doesn't splash back down into the fermenter..?

This is actually a good idea!

with a modified airlock you'll brew no worries... just make sure temeperature is all fine and dandy.

the only other worry is bottling time... if you bottle after the vans been moving the fermenter around then the slurry will be disturbed and will get into your bottles.

You have done well. I posted the same question last year and received zero feedback. Circumstances have changed so I haven't moved yet. Re the advice of taping an airlock up or down, would you actually be brewing ie fermenting, while mobile? It is usually possible to bottle a brew within a week, at most, of putting it down. Unless you are doing a mad dash around Aust, you should have time to brew and bottle while stationary. Storage for ageing would be a problem, so I am contemplating using mini kegs. Once the beer is in the keg, vibration should not be a problem, in fact it would speed up CO2 absorption. The big ask here is for your own gas bottle, and a fridge/esky large enough to contain the mini keg to keep it cold. I'm still giving this some thought as I have not given up on being able to make the trip some time in the not too distant future. Good luck,

Bob

Thank you all for your input, the airlock problem was something I had not thought of, but there is some good ideas there, my main concern was the slurry at the bottom of the fermenter being constantly stirred up, we had envisaged moving on every two or three days, only a short distance but still moving. Not into bottles at all, strickly a kegger, I have been eyeing of those little Bundaburg rum kegs. I think they only hold 20 odd litres or so.

I hope this post topic stays around for awhile, might get some more good ideas.

cheers, and thanks again.

A tall narrow fermenter may be a better option than our current Coopers Fermenter - smaller cross section will not slop around as much.

A fermenter with a conical base would be ideal but I haven't seen any in Aust - can get them in USA.

Use the clingwrap method for sealing the fermenter and you won't have to worry about an airlock.

Racking after a couple of days will reduce the quantity of yeast slurry....you will need a second fermenting container.

You could start experimenting with recipes fermented at higher temperatures - higher ferment temps lead to shorter ferment time.

On the other hand, our new Australian Pale Ale homebrew is intended to be served cloudy...if you try this style and like it you won't have to worry too much about excess yeast transferring to keg/bottle.

Archived