Coopers Community

Anyone have a decent recipe for the Mexican Cerveza?

RoaldV

Hi guys.

I can't believe I'm adding a recipe to this thread but oh well... rolleyes

We all have a mate or two or three... that drink the megaswill stuff. And being the great guys we all are, we occasionally extend ourselves & brew something specially for those mates.

Well this is one of those times for me. I've got a bit a 'shin-dig' planned in a month or so, so would like to brew something I think they'd like to drink given my knowledge of what they regularly buy.

Here's what I thought about brewing this coming weekend...

Coopers Mexican Cerveza 1.7kg

LDM 750gms

Dextrose 300gms

2 x whole limes zested & juice extracted

1 x juice of one lemon (possibly the zest as well)

Motueka 25gms dry hopped

Brewed to 22 litres

Nottingham yeast fermented @ 15°C

Combine 200gms of the dextrose with 2 litres of water in a saucepan & over a low-medium heat dissolve the dextrose (a couple of mins). Add the lime rind (& lemon rind if used) & bring to the boil. Boil until the mixture reduces by a third to a half. Remove from heat, add the lime & lemon juice, cover & let steep for 30mins. After steep, pour directly into your fermenter with other ingredients, mix well & pitch yeast.

What do you think guys? unsure

Cheers,

Anthony.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys.

Just a quick update on the recipe I listed above. I flipped the Motueka dry hop in earlier today, & the aroma coming from the FV was very nice. Not overpowering, & the Lemon/Lime infusion seems to have added a nice touch to the beer. The Motueka should compliment it very nicely.

I know the Cerveza style isn't everyone's cup of tea, & to be honest it isn't my favourite style by a long shot, but given what my megaswill friends like to drink & what this brew was made for, I reckon it should keep most of them quiet while I enjoy the cricket over the summer! wink

To be honest, on a stinking hot 40°C+ day, I don't mind slipping a few of these down, but don't tell anyone ok, as it could ruin my 'hop-head' reputation! whistling

biggrin

I'll update again on bottling day once I've had a sample.

P.S. I had a late change of heart & fermented it @ 17°C.

Cheers,

Anthony.

To be honest' date=' on a stinking hot 40°C+ day, I don't mind slipping a few of these down, but don't tell anyone ok, as it could ruin my 'hop-head' reputation! [img']whistling[/img]

Hey Anthony, remember that variety is the spice of life. wink

Oh and you can keep those 40°C + days, where I live in QLD, thank goodness it doesn't get that hot. tongue

Cheers.

Hi, I've done a couple cervezas, and my favourite recipe I use rice syrup instead of lme or dme. Its goes something along the lines of a tin of cerveza, 3 jars of rice syrup(approx. 1 kg) and 60 grams of Zythos hops 30 grams at the start of boil and 30 grams added once boiling has been achieved take of the heat leave it for an hour, then strain it into your fermenter with the other ingredients. I top up to 20 litres and use Nottingham yeast. This would put it at about 5.5%. The last time I done this brew, (last summer) from the time I brewed it to the time I drank it was about 4 and a half weeks. For a young beer it was very smooth to drink. Give it a go and lets us know what you think.

Cheers Vegi

Hi Magnaman.

Hey Anthony' date=' remember that variety is the spice of life. [img']wink[/img]

I agree. For variety I constantly use different hops & combos of hops & generally lots of hops! If you want spice might I suggest Saaz, Chinook or Ella. biggrinwink

Hi to the man formally known as Will Amette. wink

Interesting old link there Scottie, err.. I mean Will Amette, err I mean Nelson Amarillo, err.. I mean Valley Brew, err.....I really don't know what I mean anymore?!! unsuretongue

Have you ever re-made your recipe version since? unsure

I wonder what ever happened to the VB swilling Irishman? unsure

P.S. Have you put that Mosaic brew together yet Scottie?

Cheers,

Anthony

P.S. Have you put that Mosaic brew together yet Scottie?

Cheers' date='

Anthony[/size']

Hey Anthony

A short break from brewing, then I will do the Mosaic. Need to get a air stone and pump before the next brew.

Cheers

Scottie

I've never done a Mexican Cerveza, but I've drunk some commercial versions, and have to say any home brewer could make a better beer than the commercial varieties on the market!

BTW - the traditional lemon or lime wedge in the bottle isn't to enhance the flavour, it's to disguise the off flavours from a sub par beer that gets bunged into clear bottles, gets damaged by sunlight and wild fluctuations in temperature in transit, and is not a beer that travels as well as some others.

That said, I'm sure if you made a Cerveza with Coopers products or a decent recipe, you'd easily make a very palatable beer.

Just be sure to use brown bottles rather than the traditional clear ones, as sunlight ruins beer, as does temperature fluctuation, poor storage, and careless handling.

Having done a stint at a liquor warehouse where a certain brand of Mexican Cerveza came out of very hot shipping containers and the cartons of beer were thrown around like no one's business I'd steer clear of the commercial variety, unless you like drinking damaged sub par beer! - For my mind it's a waste of money, and the money's better spent making your own, whatever style that may be.

• 1 year later...

Cheers' date='

Anthony.[/quote']

Hi Anthony...sorry to drag up an old thread, but we never heard how your lemon/lime cerveza went...I'm surprised no-one has asked before. I myself am looking for some decent cerveza recipes for the beloved, and perhaps for hot weather swilling when it eventuallyn returns.

Cheers,

Greg

BTW - the traditional lemon or lime wedge in the bottle isn't to enhance the flavour' date=' it's to disguise the off flavours from a sub par beer that gets bunged into clear bottles, gets damaged by sunlight and wild fluctuations in temperature in transit, and is not a beer that travels as well as some others.

[/quote']

Actually, when served in Mexico (been there 3 times), the lime wedge is to keep the flies and bugs out of the bottle. The wedge is never pushed into the beer, it just sits in the lip of the bottle. You take the lime out, drink, then replace the lime on top. I find the squeezing of the lime each time leaves a bit of juice on the lip that is quite nice.

Hi Lord Brewsummore.

Cheers' date='

Anthony.[/quote']

Hi Anthony...sorry to drag up an old thread, but we never heard how your lemon/lime cerveza went...I'm surprised no-one has asked before. I myself am looking for some decent cerveza recipes for the beloved, and perhaps for hot weather swilling when it eventuallyn returns.

Cheers,

Greg

Reading back through my brewing notes I stated, "A pleasant summer drinker for the megaswillers!"

I'm no expert when it comes to brewing with fruit, & this was certainly an experimental brew on my part. Some might argue it would have been better to add the fruit juice & zest post fermentation to gain the most out of it, or increase the dosage, or both. I haven't tested the worthiness of each to find that out as yet. I would agree that using a fresh slice of lemon or lime added to the beer is certainly more lively.

What I am more interested in doing with this kit & style of beer the next time I brew it, is to brew it properly as a lager fermented brew using the preferred yeast strain instead of using an Ale strain as a lot do with this kit.

White Labs WLP940 Mexican Lager yeast.

Each time I think about doing this, the $11+ price tag for the yeast turns me off the idea. tongue

The Calypso hop used in the Coopers DIY: Caribbean Siesta would also be interesting to sample with this type of beer.

Cheers,

Lusty.

What I am more interested in doing with this kit & style of beer the next time I brew it' date=' is to brew it properly as a lager fermented brew using the preferred yeast strain instead of using an Ale strain as a lot do with this kit.

White Labs WLP940 Mexican Lager yeast.

Each time I think about doing this, the $11+ price tag for the yeast turns me off the idea. tongue

I agree about the $11 price tag on liquid yeast. pinched The kit yeast in this case is half lager yeast and I think it does a pretty good job at 18C ,if you take steps to avoid under-pitching.

I have a batch of Mexican Cervesa bottle conditioning right now, made with the zest of one lime, hot steeped at 71C x 10 minutes and using the kit yeast, in a 1.75L starter, and fermented at 18C. The bottling sample tasted pretty good. happy

As I have mentioned before, I am quite a fan of the ale/lager yeast blend; I think the lager portion helps to dry the beer out and make it nice and crisp, great for the summer. I will be re-pitching some of the slurry of this batch for the second time (so third batch) in another brew later this morning, and they say the third batch is often better than the first or second. This will be my first time reusing the slurry more than once, and the first time I brew a batch of beer in my new thermostatically controlled fermentation chamber. It is pretty exciting. Cheers! -Christina.

"Anyone have a decent recipe for the Mexican Cerveza?"

It's not often that you see those two words used in the same sentence. biggrin

What about 1 kg of stewing steak' date=' some flour, carrots mushrooms and 400 ml of beer for a steak and ale pie? of wait, I think you need a good quality ale for that[img']lol[/img]

That leaves beer marinade for pork chops

I brew 4 new Vats every 2 weeks.

Wow' date=' you drink more than me.[/quote']

LOl, I bottle 240 stubbies every 2nd sat, and brew 4 vats every 2nd Sunday. On the off weekend, i brew a surprise. So I have 5 vats, (hoping to get to 8 soon) all beer is brewed with 100% spring water. I did one brew with tap water during xmas, was putrid.

The Citra hop was my game changer, and now ive delved into grains, the world is my oyster

Steve

• 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Hi, I have a cerveza kit,plus 1k maltodextrine, 1k DME,1 k dextrose. 1 05 yeast, 20gr saas, 20gr tettnager,20grs fuggles.

What the recomended recipe to do with this ingredients, and temperature in order to do  similar to corona beer?

Having hot days around, and this one is ideal when barbecuing under the sun!!!

Thank again for your valuable advices

42 minutes ago, mrchino73 said:

Hi, I have a cerveza kit,plus 1k maltodextrine, 1k DME,1 k dextrose. 1 05 yeast, 20gr saas, 20gr tettnager,20grs fuggles.

What the recomended recipe to do with this ingredients, and temperature in order to do  similar to corona beer?

Having hot days around, and this one is ideal when barbecuing under the sun!!!

Thank again for your valuable advices

Hi @mrchino73  Personally I would do the following.  18 - 20 degrees is the recommended temperature.

1.7 kg can Mexican Cerveza

1xkg LDE or LDME

1x BE2 

Yeast US-05

Hops ( really up to you - Saaz for sure )

This is what I do & I have varied it with 500gm Dextrose or Maltodextrin but I always favour Liquid Malt Extract.

Either way it is a nice beer but the Malt will make it a bit heavier.

Cheers

Phil

30 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hi @mrchino73  Personally I would do the following.  18 - 20 degrees is the recommended temperature.

1.7 kg can Mexican Cerveza

1xkg LDE or LDME

1x BE2 

Yeast US-05

Hops ( really up to you - Saaz for sure )

This is what I do & I have varied it with 500gm Dextrose or Maltodextrin but I always favour Liquid Malt Extract.

Either way it is a nice beer but the Malt will make it a bit heavier.

Cheers

Phil

Hi,thank for your reply! I don't have access to Lde or ldme. Only have dme,that's why am asking, and as I don't have be2 neither, I can make it on my own with dextrose,dme and maltodext?

Thnx again