Coopers Community

Anyone have a decent recipe for the Mexican Cerveza?

RoaldV

With summer fast approaching, I'm keen to build up my beer stock before it gets too hot [love]

So far I have a Draught bottled, and a Pale Ale on the way.

However, I'd really like to give the Cerveza a go. From what I can tell, the suggested Brew Enhancer contains 250g of LDM, and 500g of dextrose (ignoring the malto-crapo-dextrin).

I'd like to get this as close to a classic Mexican beer as I can [bandit]

Ideas? Anyone?

Thank you Lord, I actually have a BE2 sitting around, so that works out nicely.

In re to the lime rind (and I assume lemon will work too), do I just drop the rind into the wort before pitching the yeast? Or does it need to be in a teabag?

Ok, I'm assuming you're not a fan?

Is there any other light (in colour), fresh beer that you would recommend as an alternative?

[lol] I find Corona mind numbingly boring and more of an accessory than a beer - something for the inner city hipsters to look cool with. If you're a fan then you will probably like the cerveza can.

I can't really think of a light coloured alternative as I tend to brew for flavour rather than colour.

Also, like Adam said, make sure to boil your zest if you choose to use it.

Adios Senor [biggrin]

maybe to add some zing - add chillies?

I've also wondered, what yeast would be best for it? It's meant to be a lager isn't it? Maybe this?

I love the description...

Aroma: Little to no malt aroma, although it can be grainy, sweet or corn-like if present. Hop aroma may range from none to a light, spicy or floral hop presence. Low levels of yeast character (green apples, DMS, or fruitiness) are optional but acceptable. No diacetyl.

Appearance: Very pale straw to medium yellow color. White, frothy head seldom persists. Very clear.

Flavor: Crisp and dry flavor with some low levels of sweetness. Hop flavor ranges from none to low levels. Hop bitterness at low to medium-low level. Balance may vary from slightly malty to slightly bitter, but is relatively close to even. High levels of carbonation may provide a slight acidity or dry "sting." No diacetyl. No fruitiness.

In other words, yellow water [roll]

Thanks Adam and Muddy.

And Muddy, to clarify, it's not so much the colour that I'm looking at, it's more a "light and fresh taste" that I'm after. In my experience, it's the lighter coloured beers that have the "light and fresh taste".

And no, I'm definitely not an inner-city hipster! I enjoy Coronas as a change from my regular beers.

EDIT: hahaha Adam. Look, I'll give it a go with some boiled lime zest, and some added hops and let you folks know how it goes :)

I put cascade hops in my Cervezas seems to add a nice little extra flavour[cool] [cool]

I hope so Ash!

I put one down at the end of August with 25g Cascade @ 7 minutes and 25g Amarillo 5 minutes. Only 2 weeks in the bottle so haven't sample yet.

Amarillo and Mexico go together in my mind [innocent]

Sadly I made a boring batch of Cerveza for the Mrs no hops however if it was beer for me I would of loaded it right up on hops lol and a bit more malt I am interested to taste it on its own Give me idea's for the next batch for myself. Problem some mates think the nice hoppy beers are shit but yet drink Vile Bile and think that is great I sadly have to make kit n adjuncts some mates love the hoppy beers, With the Cerveza it is stated when you drink it to put a slice of lemon with it some people add rind not sure how that would turn out. Once you start with hops and you like hops you go mad with it ha ha Good thing though if you over hop it for flavour letting it sit longer sorts that issue out I found but anyhow I haven't tried the Cerveza yet to know what hops exactly would go good with it however I found cascade and amarillo go well with nearly everything except dark beers

Muddy I know what you are talking about when you say it is underwhelming.[innocent]. It is a summer beer for me, something to drink after I work up a sweat in the garden. Generally when I make it I will add a lemon myrtle tea that gives it a little extra taste. I have also in the past added supa alpha hops to it.

I got a stock standard Cerveza brewing away at the moment however it reached final gravity last friday and i sampled the hydrometer sample it tasted nice once carbonated it will be a easy drinking beer but its for the mrs and has no additional hops which I thought it could of done with a good hop dosing and maybe a tad more malt however I reckon the Cerveza kit would make a good base for many different recipe's

• 1 year later...
In fairness to the Cerveza kit' date=' it is super drinkable.

Almost too drinkable.

I polished off the whole 40 pints of Cerveza in no time at all.

Everyone else seemed to love it too.

It's just a nice light refreshing beer [happy']

Agreed, this is what i am drinking at the moment, nothing fancy, just a nice refreshing beer.

The Coopers Mexican Cerveza can is always available on my local supermarket shelves.

SUPACHEEP TOUCAN CERVEZA

2 x 1.7kg Coopers Mexican Cerveza can

0.3kg medium Crystal steeped

2x7g Coopers ale yeast

24L @ 20C