Coopers Community

Drinking too soon?

Nick

Oh wow sorry to hear about that corky, I have had this awful skin irritation on my hand for about two weeks, I thought it was from putting my hand in my star san mix… maybe I am getting some kind of eczema from the homebrew too?

How did they diagnose the condition?

My hand isn't itchy, but the weird skin rash is very unusual for me and has coincided with my recent foray into brewing this year.

Ohh man, that's how it started for me. Little funky blisters on the sides of my fingers that were a little itchy but nothing much to worry about. When they started become more frequent I went and saw my first Doc. She diagnosed me with scabies, I was relieved, took the cream home, missus rubbed me starkers and I went to bed happy it was all over.

symptoms stayed the same. Went back to Doc, they then diagno5 with eczema after all of a 2 second look. Went to second Doc they diagnosed with the technical term that Doctors pre 2009 (ish) learned in school being: untreatable, who knows the cause dyshidrosis excema. Third Doc just recently took another 2 second look, yep untreatable dyshidrotic eczema. After literally days of research, article by article by forum led me to skin doctor forums where only a select group of practitioners really know the cause and treatment for it

The test is to take 180mg Fexo antihistamines. If the itch subsides then it's not technical 'eczema' and the histamine reaction is being triggered by something else, usually leaky gut but good luck getting your Doctor to prescribe the powdered nystatin. . I had to buy the oral drops which are bloody expensive for a single days dose but they're working

pro biotocs such as yoghurt and 'yakult' etc are strongly encouraged. Remember, the problem (for me) is caused by an excess of a product that causes imbalance in the digestive tract

coincidentally, the acid in Star San helps treat dyshidrosis

Just been doing a little reading and some people just dump their bottles into 85 degree water for 10 minutes or so. This could be a solution for the ones I drink anyway, if they don't blow up but my carb level is modest so they say it should be fine. Lively bottles will explode though apparently

Wonder if it will change the flavour?

I've just done 3x different brews at 70 degrees for 10 minutes so will see how they go!

Here's a little article if anyone's interested for whatever reason http://www.mooseheadbeeracademy.com/topasteurizeornottopasteurize/

I know it's only early days but this seems to be working. .

Had a couple last night without as much as a single fart! On my 3rd now, and still no sign of flatulence. Now THIS is awesome! Thanks so much guys, not sure I would have thought to pasturise on my own

When I say I used to have an irritable bowel, It wasn't a real bad one, it occasionally had me s(h)itting in the sh-tter after a hard meal of Thai food or perhaps a heap of ice cream or something might set it off (You know the one) So for anyone experiencing problems maybe give it a go! I dare say the product shouldl keep much longer now, too (apparently 3x as long)

I've just been placing the bottles into 70 degree water for 10 minutes but hear that might be 50x more than you need to (just want to make sure the yeast is dead for experiment's sake) can't note any difference in flavour although they do say that past 100 degrees that migh7 change (past 100 is no longer pasteurising and classed as sterilising)

It could also be used as a way to curb overcarbing which might come in handy every now and then (although green taste will not change post pasteurising sick)

Can now report I had about 9 before calling it a night with great results! And no burst bottles. Although I might bring carb volumes up to standard 2.2 volumes just to make sure it's feasible for everyone a d just to see if I'm happy with that particular rate of carb personally

• 4 months later...

UPDATE: Well I've just recently within the past few days had a couple of my old home brews instead of whatever I've been buying and low n behold, little bumps have just started forming on my fingers along with that familiar itch.

So, I can make this terrific beer as good as any boutique but can't drink it.

I'll try boiling bottles to kill off the yeast again and see how that goes. Otherwise, have to give it away again I guess. Why me!? I'm really not an allergic typea guy in any other area. Been taking my probiotics and everything and pretty sure I don't have candidiasis anymore after all the treatments I had

I've literally had 5 homies over the past 2 nights so it doesn't take much. Have been drinking all sorts of commercial stuff over the past few months without worry

Are any of the commercial beers you've had bottle conditioned/carbonated?

I suppose it does only leave two options other than giving it away though: heat the beer up post fermentation, either after carbonation in the bottles or get a kegging system and heat it prior to filling the keg and then force carbonate it once it chills back down.

Cheers for the reply mate.

I've been mainly drinking stuff such as James Squires Hop Thief and the likes but have a ctn of Pirate Life pale ale and had quite a few of those last night and have itching knees and legs today! Which was another symptom I struggled with before that took me as long to figure out as well so I take it Pirate Life isn't pasteurised, possibly lightly filtered.

I also began the night with just one tester of my latest pils which I did pasteurise so doubt that would be the culprit. Pretty sure it's live yeaat my body doesn't like but Ill continue to test the theory because I can. Ill simply pasteurise the PL cans too and see if everything clears up

Here's a couple pics of what it looks like ince it takes off. At this point you're in for a 1-2 week itch-fest with no hope of miracle relief anytime before then. You just have to ride it out

ZTFveSA

ylrIqK1

Edit. I've tried photobucket but they're trying to make people pay to use it now so that's not working anymore. Used ingur but that doesn't seem to work either.. not sure how to post pics anymore

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE: Well, I've been pasteurising all beer at 75 degrees in a pot I pour hot water into and place on the stove for about 2 minutes to reach, then check it with a thermometer before it goes into the fridge for a good few weeks now, it's common (weird) practice now. No sign of any hand bumps or itchiness anywhere. Or excessive 'wind'! Which is great news for my Family lol and no itching for me

In my fully fledged days where I drank alot of live yeast things got pretty bad, but once I'd healed it up with meds and stopped drinking it, then just started again with a few a night the symptoms were much milder, such as a little hive or itchy bump or patch that would suddenly appear and dissapear or move around. So if you have anything like that, might be your answer

Case closed, thanks for the suggestions guys!

Archived