Sign in to follow this  
Black Ivan

Sterilising

I have always used Sodium Meta. for sterilising but I will soon be changing to bleach as per Coopers instructions. I make my steriliser in a large container and reuse it over and over again. Can I do this with bleach? Anyone do it this way?

When buying bleach at the supermarket, I allways see regular or scented(in various smells) never "unscented"

So Iv'e gone for the regular. But many "regular" bottles still stink of perfumes. I've had to buy several bottles of different regular brands to finaly find one which doesn't smell too much of "Garden fresh".

Where can one buy "unscented" bleach?

Cheers - Martin

When you say you store and reuse your sodium metabisulphate over and over again, I assume you mean between brews? Because I do not think metabisulphate can feasibly stored for much longer than a couple days, particularly if it has any contact with air.

I've had no trouble storing metabisulphate solution for up to 6 months in a sealed bucket which I use over and over again until it loses it smell. After 454 brews I have not had one infection.

I have used bleach,as per Coopers instructions,in my first few batches but switched to Meta after speaking with my local homebrew guy about the difference.

He told me that bleach taints the flavour and is hard to rinse out the smell/ flavour of bleach?

So without risking it I switched.

He also said that bleach was a stronger sanitiser and that was why Coopers recommended it- safer for first time brewers possibly?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance Zak.

OK I heard that sodium metabisulphate is used by winemakers to KILL off yeasts? Is this true?

If so it doesn't sound like something that would logically be used in brewing?

I have used sod met. myself and haven't had an off brew but I just wanted to know if this was correct or not.