Coopers Community

1st brew bottled, 2nd brew made

Outlaw Parrot

Hey all,

Well i have bottled my first brew, Coopers Pale Ale.2 weeks in the FV.

The local brew shop guy, tells me to leave it bottled for at least 3 months if i want a decent beer from it.

I bought a few things at my local brew shop yesterday.

My second brew, i have mixed,

1 x 1.7kg can Coopers Sparkling Ale

1 x 1.5kg can Coopers Light Malt Extract

1 x 1.5kg bag of Malt and sugars mix

1 x 15gr Brew Cellar Premium Ale Yeast

1 x 15gr Amarillo Finishing Hops bag, steeped for 15mins.

Mixed to 21 litres before the hops was added with 500ml water.

Yeast pitched at 22 degrees.

OG 1060.

This recipe came from my local brew shop guy, he says this beer will have heaps of flavour and kick. I do not dought the flavours for one second, when i mixed the brew, wow [surprised] the aroma coming from my FV is to die for. I tasted a drop, to see what it was like and it was very nice for green, unfermented beer.

Comments on this mix appreciated.

Cheers,

Parrot

He wasn't lying about the kick either!![devil] [devil] My calculations will leave you with an ABV of roughly (Because i'm not sure on the sugar malt mix ratio's) 7%...... Not a session beer[pinched] [pinched] !!

It should age well though if you can leave it for 12 months

He wasn't lying about the kick either!![devil] [devil] My calculations will leave you with an ABV of roughly (Because i'm not sure on the sugar malt mix ratio's) 7%...... Not a session beer[pinched] [pinched] !!

It should age well though if you can leave it for 12 months

Hey Squishy,

Yes that is close to what i was told the ABV would be, "6.8%" i was told to expect, "but could be more".

that's a lot of added extra sugars - ESVA?

Hey Adam,

I'm a noob so i'll take a shot at anything, twice if i'm not sure [lol]

Hey Parrot,

Sounds like it's going to be beer out of balance. I would reckon you'll need some more bitterness to counter all that malty sweetness.

What was the volume of the brew?

Hey Canadian,

I did put 15gr of Amarillo hops,into my wort, steeped for 15 mins. Do you think i should add some dry hops later ?

Cheers,

Parrot

You will need to boil some hops for bitterness. Steeping will really only add a little flavour and aroma.

Perhaps you could boil some hops in 1 litre of water, chill it down to 20 degrees and add the strained liquid to the FV.

You just need to make sure the strainer etc are sanitised.

That's an adventurous second brew. Gladiator, I salute you [cool]

Don't mind the LHBS guy, you have the right and the duty to drink your first few brews way too early [biggrin]

My first 4 or 5 brews never made it past 4 weeks

Parrot,

I don't know if I would bother with trying to add bitterness after the fact. I would let it do it's thing and bottle it up. Drink it and chalk it up to experience and go from there. Keep in mind for future brews that the correct balance is key.[rightful]

Who knows I might be wrong about the balance. [unsure]

You will need to boil some hops for bitterness. Steeping will really only add a little flavour and aroma.

Perhaps you could boil some hops in 1 litre of water, chill it down to 20 degrees and add the strained liquid to the FV.

You just need to make sure the strainer etc are sanitised.

Hey Hairy,

This mix sure has aromas alright.

Thanks Hairy, i may try your method.

My Local Brew Shop guy also said i could add some dry hops to this brew, he asured me it's not too late to "dry hop". He also said he makes a very similar brew himself, adding "dry hops", but he does like a very bitter beer.

That's an adventurous second brew. Gladiator' date=' I salute you [cool']

Don't mind the LHBS guy, you have the right and the duty to drink your first few brews way too early [biggrin]

My first 4 or 5 brews never made it past 4 weeks

Hey LordEoin,

Thank you, i tend to be adventurous, i don't like plain and boring [lol]

My intention was to drink my first brew after 4 weeks, but now i will be cracking 1 bottle per month, for 3 months, from my first brew, so i can note the changes of maturity.

I have realised that my second brew, i have just mixed will have to be put away in the garage for next xmas, not this xmas. Oh well, lots more brewing than i planned [lol]

My next planned brew is a nice "Stout", anyone offer a stunning recipe please ? I'm after a "Stout" with high ABV and pleasant after taste. I will follow any recipe to the "T" and mature/age properly [wink]

Parrot,

I don't know if I would bother with trying to add bitterness after the fact. I would let it do it's thing and bottle it up. Drink it and chalk it up to experience and go from there. Keep in mind for future brews that the correct balance is key.[rightful]

Who knows I might be wrong about the balance. [unsure]

Hey Canadian,

My LBS guy likes a very bitter beer,I don't mind bitters but they must be good, not like that "Victorian Backwash" crap [sick]

I think i will just leave this one to mature after bottling, see how it turns out next xmas [wink]

Cheers,

Parrot

Dry hopping is fine' date=' it will add aroma to the brew. It won't add any bitterness however. As Hairy said, you'll need to boil them to get bitterness from them. [/quote']

Hey Otto,

Thanks mate, but i think i will just leave this brew and see how it comes out in 12 months [wink]

Next i plan to make a "Stout", then i will make another of this recipe with boiled hops.

I will be buying another FV in 2 weeks and i plan to brew like hell for the next couple of months, till it gets too hot to brew here [cool]

Cheers,

Parrot

My LBS guy likes a very bitter beer,I don't mind bitters but they must be good, not like that "Victorian Backwash" crap [sick]

That "Victorian Backwash crap" gives a bad name to bitters - it's a Lager.

A poor friend of mine was at a pub on Friday night (enforeced by SWMBO fora b'day party) and the only beer they had was Carlton on tap and Crown Lager in bottles. He didn't like it when I sent him a picture from http://www.3ravens.com.au/. [lol]

Archived