Coopers Community

Ale turned out to be Lager! possibly not done fermentation?

shanek7

Hey everyone, So I just finished bottling like 60 beers of my coopers Draught. I came upstairs to my computer and I was curious what are the ingredients withing the coopers draught can. I looked on the coopers website and was suprised to find out I brewed a LAGER! the coopers website calls it a Lager fresh draught, but I had no idea, the can simply says coopers draught, and the ladie in the store told me she had no idea about the beer supplies. This is my first lager Iv brewed and I am now worried that it may have not finished fermenting.

Here are the specs, I added 2.2 pounds of Light Malt Extract and 103Grams of dextrose and had a SG of 1.037. I fermented in my basement at 67F with 2 packs of dried coopers yeast. I used the yeast that came with can and an extra pack I bought. The FinalGravity reading was 1.009. The coopers website says the Fermentation may take 2 to 3 weeks. They also recommend to ferment at 20\xb0C/68F or less.

When I had a look at the fermentation in the pail I did notice a couple bubbles come up, and I attributed them to the fact that was just co2 escaping, since I carried the pail upstairs and it got moved around a bit. I also primed the sugar at a rate of 5g/L. Now coopers actually recommends priming at 8g/L but I decided to go lower this batch, which may be a good thing if theres less sugar in the bottles because the original fermentation may still be going... Anyone have any helpful advice? Has anyone brewed this Coopers lager in 2 weeks at 20c/68F with a SG of 1.037? Maybe ill have to put my glass bottles in a big container incase they start exploding!

Welcome aboard Shane!

The Coopers Draught actually comes with an ale yeast so you brewed an ale rather than a lager. Below is a link to the Coopers yeasts:

Coopers Yeast

The fermenting temperature of 20 degrees looks good and an FG of 1009 suggests it is likely finished. I wouldn't expect it to get much lower.

I find priming at 8g/L a little high so your priming rate seems OK.

So, nothing to worry about and just enjoy your beer when it is ready [cool]

Welcome aboard Shane!

The Coopers Draught actually comes with an ale yeast so you brewed an ale rather than a lager. Below is a link to the Coopers yeasts:

Coopers Yeast

The fermenting temperature of 20 degrees looks good and an FG of 1009 suggests it is likely finished. I wouldn't expect it to get much lower.

I find priming at 8g/L a little high so your priming rate seems OK.

So, nothing to worry about and just enjoy your beer when it is ready [cool]

Yea i realize its an ale yeast now , but what i dont get is why coopers listed it under the lager category on their website. thats whats making me think i brewed a lager beer. but your saying its actually entirely an ale beer?

The Original Series Draught comes with an ale yeast and the Thomas Coopers Traditional Draught comes with the blended yeast.

This means the latter could be brewed as an ale or a lager depending on the fermentation temperature.

A draught isn't really a style of beer, just something Aussies made up to confuse the world (and us). Traditionally the beers that were called Draughts were/are lagers.

So in other words, I have no idea why the Original Series Draught comes with an ale yeast. Probably the same reason the Lager kit comes with an ale yeast [crying]

But to answer your question, yep you made an ale.

Draught has in recent times become a marketing scam as they just brew a beer a little different from say a cascade lager or bitter just make it a little sweeter and call it a cascade draught. Traditionally Draught beer was anything served from a tap being a lager or ale had nothing to do with it. Guiness draught same thing started back in the day before bottles and cans were used now its served in all of them and still called draught. But Hairy your right in this country there all just simply slightly different lagers with different names.

Draught has in recent times become a marketing scam as they just brew a beer a little different from say a cascade lager or bitter just make it a little sweeter and call it a cascade draught. Traditionally Draught beer was anything served from a tap being a lager or ale had nothing to do with it. Guiness draught same thing started back in the day before bottles and cans were used now its served in all of them and still called draught. But Hairy your right in this country there all just simply slightly different lagers with different names.

At least what they call Guinness Draught is basically the same thing they serve on tap, unlike some of the crap that gets called draught when it's in a can.

Just a note:

I made a APA one time and called it.... wait for it.... Aussie Pale Ale. Although drinkable my punters didn't go a great deal on it. However, I made the exact brew which never tasted any different, the next time and called it a Aussie Draught and everyone loved it.

That just goes to show that people have nfi. Just make something and if people don't like it just call it something else.

However' date=' I made the exact brew which never tasted any different, the next time and called it a Aussie Draught and everyone loved it. [/quote']

[lol] [lol] [lol]

When I shared some of my early brews with a mate I took two around, Coopers Draught Kit (Pale Ale) and Coopers Pale Ale Kit. He tried both and didn\u2019t like the Pale Ale, said he never liked Cascade Green when he was younger and still doesn't. Last time I shared some with him it was a Pale Ale that I called a Blonde Ale, he loved it.

The mind is a powerful barrier!

I prefer the Guinness that comes in glass bottles. It's more like the Coopers Best Extra Stout than the crap that comes in the cans [sick]

Thats the Guiness Stout mate...not the Guiness Draught [lol]

To Shane! I brewed the Irish Ale(Coopers Recipe) was only 23l but sounds like something similar to what you did with the draught can(s)! I brewed that at about 21 degrees also so you will be fine..I did find the Draught[roll] tasted better aged at about a month and got better from there! 5g/l as Hairy said is fine. Coopers glucose drops with their bottles works out to be about 6g/l. Should be a tasty beer with a month of age[biggrin]

Yeah I know' date=' it's heaps better than the draught though [lol']

I havn't had it for a fair while. The Draught goes down really easy for me the stout not so much. If your into your strong stouts though it is a cracker!

Yeah I don't mind the draught one off tap at the pub every now and then but in the cans it just lacks something, it just isn't the same [lol] But yeah I do like strong stouts.. gonna put down a batch of that toucan stout soon when the weather warms up a bit more and keep it for next winter.

Archived