Coopers Community

Glass Bottles

c38193

I have only ever used the plastic PET bottles but everyone keeps telling me that the beer tastes better and lasts longer in glas bottles. I've also been told that you need to buy 'pickaxe' bottles as the newer bottles explode all the time.

Where can I buy 'pickaxe' bottles?

Pickaxe bottles are the old school brown crown seal bottles. They're thick as all hell so don't pop as easily. However, I have never had any real trouble with the current range of crown seal bottles. I've had three bottles burst, one in very hot weather, and three break during bottling/cleaning, out of well over a thousand stubbies.

You can buy glass bottles specifically for home brewing, but I don't think it's worth it. When you say you use PET, do you use soft drink bottles or the special brown PET brewing bottles?

c38193,

I purchased my "pickaxe" bottles of Ebay, $8 for 90 longnecks.

I just typed in "homebrew" or "beer bottles".

Look in the Trading Post.

Or ask around. Some people may still have them stacked under their house or behind their shed.

I also use about 40 old "Crown Lager" stubbies with no problems.

Cheers - Martin

Can you tell me more using champagne bottles, Jazman? Exactly what do you need to cap them, or do you cork them?

thanks for the tips guys. Kai, I am using the brown coopers PET bottles.

I'll check on ebay and trading post. Thanks

I remember we had a discussion on the use of PET bottles in here recently. linkie.

The reason I asked is because I think normal PET bottles are not suited for beer, but the amber ones should be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip, Jazman, but I'd beaten you to it. Went in the other day, fourteen dollars for the champagne dongle and the caps are four times the price of regular ones - although I may be able to pick them up on the cheap from a winery.

Archived