Coopers Community

1st Brew Question

NoirXephon

Hello,

U have the Coopers DIY Beer kit and am anxious to start my first brew. I know how important it is to keep everything clean and sanitized. In the instructions provided by the DVD with the kit, it was said to just rinse all the components prior to use. I am not sure if this is correct. I am taking everything fresh from out of the box, but I assume that rinsing will not be enough, and I should sanitize my equipment as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Hey Noir!

Welcome to brewing!

I would buy a sanitizing product such as starsan just to be sure. Depending on how healthy is the water you rinse with, etc. I would just use a sanitizer.

Another head up you should be carefull is the fermentation temperature. I think it still says to ferment your brew around 26c. Based on my own experiences and opinion by other brewers here, the recomended fermentation temperature for an Ale yeast is between 18-20 celcius.

Also it might say to ferment for a week or so. I took advice from here and been leaving my brews for a week BUT after fermentation is done, meaning around 1 and half weeks or 2. I might be leaving something else out. But these mentioned you might wanna be aware before you brew your first batch.

Cheers! And let us know any other concerns you have.

Happy brewing [lol]

Some good info for a first timer from Kike there.

Even though it does say that just rinsing is suffice in the first instant, I would still be sanitising regardless. It might be right without doing this but that is a chance to take. Eliminate the chances of infection and you have a better probable outcome.

I'd fill any new FV to the top with sanitizer and dump all the little bits in to soak overnight.

Even if it left Coopers totally sanitised, you don't know where it has been since.

You'd probably get away with a rinse as they're packaged quite well, but no point in risking it.

By the way, what brew are you doing and what ingredients are you going to be using?

lol, water's not a problem in ireland [biggrin]

I just do it this way with new equipment and once every few months to get into all the grooves and threads etc.

It can be hard to get get a spray sanitizer into some places.

I use VWP cleanser as it also helps to get rid of any lingering smells (eg after ginger beer)[wink]

and I don't trust no rinse sanitizers 'cos I dont know how much of it will make it into my system [tinfoil hat time][alien]

Archived