Coopers Community

Light Dry Malt Problems!

Danny

I've just put down a Sparkling Ale but had problems when it came to adding the "light dry malt". As I added, it started to go solid and stick togeather, eventually resorting to using a handheld blender to mix it in. Is there a better way or am I just going about it all wrong? :?:

I had the exact same problem!!!

had to bloody stir the mix like crazy with my plastic spoon, attacking those little solid buggers.

I just thought my problem was that I poured it all in.. and then started to stir it. Whereas the smarter thing to do would have been to pour the dry malt in slowly whilst stiring.

Tryed pouring slowly after the first amount went solid but still not too much success, again resorting to the blender!!!! I did get it all mixed but it took a lot, which just made me feel more like it was "BEER TIME".

It's like making a cake, lads. Maybe you should ask the missus to do it for you ;)

Using electric beaters sounds like a good idea to me. I usually use a hand whisk and dissolve any separate ingredients in a separate bowl.

lol, I just discussed the issue with my missus.. and she told me how to do it....

basically you put the dry malt in a bowl, and add a small amount of water. mix the water in to the malt evenly.. and then add some more water and mix. keep doing this until you turn the malt in to a paste, and then you can easily dissolve the paste in the boiling water no worries.

My method involves putting the light dry malt into well drained fermenter first then adding approx 2 litres of boiling water (at home) or 3 litres of hot water out of the tap (at work), stir immediately then pick the fermenter up and swirl the contents around for about 20 secs or so...voila! No lumps and works every time! I find that this is the best method to use for Brew Enhancer 2 as this contains LDME.

Whats the difference between light dry malt and light liquid malt, appart from the obvious, that one is dry and one is liquid?

If there is no difference, wouldn't it be easier just to use the liquid malt?

Iv'e used the liquid malt before and is as easy as!

Cheers - Martin

• 8 years later...

Hi guys

Resurrecting an old thread here. I know I've seen points on this littered in a few threads...

OK, so what about using large quantities of DME? I went to my local homebrew shop, and they only had DME. On the weekend I used about 2.5kg of DME and some specialty grains to make a beer.

I put the malt in my fermentor, put 2L of boiling water, and swirled my fermentor around like crazy. What a f*%king nightmare!

I ended up digging out some of the bigger clumps (about golf ball sized), chucked them in the bin and added some more.

I've got another 2.5kg that I guess I have to do in another batch.

Any tips for using around 2.5kg of DME?

Cheers,

-Dyl

Hey Dyl.

I find that using cold water works like a charm. You can either put the DME into the FV and add cold water or into a big bowl and do it (2.5kg might be easier in the FV).

The trick is to let is sit for a while - so I do it way ahead of time. The DME will eventually dissolve even if there are clumps.

I also use a whisk which seems to help.

I had a similar experience as you the first time I used DME - I was worried about the lumps so put it onto the stove to dissolve (not to hot) and chucked out some bigger clumps, but then woke up in the middle of the night saying Doh! Cos the yeast should still be able to eat it.

I usually just add my dry malt to my big pot with water as its heating up before it gets too steamy I made a sparkling ale a few months back and used 1.5kg of LDM instead of using the amber malt liquid and it dissolves my malt perfectly everytime with little to no fuss then once i have it all dissolved and at a rolling boil i begin my hop additions

Thanks all

Bill, yeah, I was getting irrational. The worst part, was I was trying to show a friend how easy brewing was. I still think that I convinced him to get into it though.

So next time I'll either allow it to soak in some cold water for a while, or gradually add it to my mini wort once my boil's done.

Then never use large volumes of DME again!

Cheers all,

-Dyl

Hiya DylanI.

I would say 90%+ of those that have attempted homebrewing in the modern era have had the dreaded Dried Malt Extract "Lump Clump" before they learn better.

The common mistake everyone makes is believing that you MUST use hot water to dissolve the powder. It is actually the heat & the steam generated by the hot or even boiled water that causes the DME to clump.

I find that using cold water works like a charm.

+1

I place about 3 litres of cool tap water in my FV & then add my DME into that & stir. No whisking needed. You may still have a few small clumps remaining, but all that is left is a little patience forward from here. The next stage will remove them completely.

At this stage add your cooked mix of hops etc. or simply a couple of litres of boiled water. Add it slowly & stir as you go. The gradual increase in temperature you are creating in the fermenter will easily breakdown any remaining clumps.

If you are using a large base of dried malt extract as described in your recipe above, it's fine to start with another litre of cool tap water instead of 3 litres that I normally start with for my 500gm-1kg DME mix.

I hope that helps.

Beer.

I always use large amounts of dry malt extract but I tend to add it to my pot at the end of the boil. Coopers malt is the main clumping culprit so it is best to add it quickly rather than slowly as the steam from the pot will make it go sticky in the bag....better to have the clumps in the pot than in the bag.

...putting the light dry malt into fermenter... adding approx 2 litres of boiling water...then pick the fermenter up and swirl the contents around for about 20 secs or so

+1

I do this every time and it works a treat

I find this method only really suitable for 1kg or less.

Thanks Muddy!

I was beginning to think that I was hopeless here. Everyone else had success, but I'm talking 2.5kg of the horrid stuff here.

Next time, I think I'll spoon it into my boil, stirring as I go. I think it will be a tight fit (I think it's a 7L pot, and I do 5L boils). I should get most of it in, and do the above mentioned technique with the last of it.

I can't wait to finish my all grain set up.

-Dyl

Archived