Coopers Community

Saunders Malt Extract English Bitter

Stoobrew

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been a member (and moderator) of several forums over the past 20 years and (as Hairy said) this forum is so civil it is almost peculiar.  If Stoo is the worst 'troll' we've had it has been a good decade.  (I am not defending him, I just didn't find him particularly toxic).

This forum  also has one of the best software platforms of any I have been involved with.  Really nice.  It has a great search engine but it would be even better if posters named their threads logically and stayed on topic - but that is never going to happen.

As for Malt Extracts I am becoming increasingly intrigued to the point that I am going to have to find out for myself just how inferior Saunders is to malt extracts marketed to brewers by doing a comparison test.  As I said to Blacksands there is no economic advantage in using Saunders for brewing in Australia - I just want to know how it compares when brewed.

I have recently acquired two 2 gallon fermenters and my plan is to use them to do otherwise identical small batch brews side by side and comparison taste tests.  My original plan was to split kits between the fermenters and vary the hops (or other ingredients or conditions) but now this issue has arisen I reckon it would be ideal to brew the same recipe with Coopers malt extract in one tub and Saunders in the other.

I'll let you know how I get on.

14 minutes ago, James of Bayswater said:

As for Malt Extracts I am becoming increasingly intrigued to the point that I am going to have to find out for myself just how inferior Saunders is to malt extracts marketed to brewers by doing a comparison test.  As I said to Blacksands there is no economic advantage in using Saunders for brewing in Australia - I just want to know how it compares when brewed.

I have recently acquired two 2 gallon fermenters and my plan is to use them to do otherwise identical small batch brews side by side and comparison taste tests.  My original plan was to split kits between the fermenters and vary the hops (or other ingredients or conditions) but now this issue has arisen I reckon it would be ideal to brew the same recipe with Coopers malt extract in one tub and Saunders in the other.

I'll let you know how I get on.

I'll keep an eye out for the results!  I do wonder though if Saunders is the same in terms of grain origin and colour as the Coopers LME?   As mentioned I'd determined just through observation that Maltexo seemed to be close if not exactly the same as BlackRock Ultra-light LME rather than just general Light LME.  It's made from lager malt.   As it happens it seems the lighter colour is actually achieved by using a portion of maltose syrup  -  not sure how that differs from extract though?   🤔

They make maltose syrup from things other than malt, usually corn. It's not entirely maltose though, that makes up around 35% of the syrup. The rest is other sugars I would imagine.

Maltose is just a disaccharide of two glucose units, but it doesn't necessarily have to come from malt. I suspect it's called maltose because that's where it was first identified and where it mostly occurs naturally. 

32 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

They make maltose syrup from things other than malt, usually corn. It's not entirely maltose though, that makes up around 35% of the syrup. The rest is other sugars I would imagine.

Curiously the BlackRock can states "100% lager malt" but then says  "The malt is mashed and boiled using 100% NZ lager malt, then the finished wort is gently evaporated to make this concentrated wort. Maltose syrup is added so it is ideal to make clean, crisp pale ales, lagers and pilseners."   🤔

Thanks for your email and interest in Saunders Malt.

The process of malt extraction for Saunders Malt is similar to brewing malts, however the type of malt that is used is a little different.

Saunders Malt contains no additives it’s 100% malted barley extract. Saunders Malt as you are aware is focused in the food / food production space.

We have heard of Customers using it for brewing, for use in brewing however there are better alternatives which contain additives and also deliver bitterness which work better in brewing.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Kind Regards

The Saunders Team

That is good enough for me.  I probably wont bother with the side by side test now but Saunders is definitely going in the 1978 Ale because that is what we would have used.

It is interesting that Saunders says the brewing extract contains additives (probably the Maltose discussed earlier) whereas the Saunders contains no additives.  The 'different type of malt' is probably the screened grain that doesn't meet the brewers requirements. 

That said I want to make it clear that Saunders is not Maltexo and Blacksands recommendation of the latter is also good enough for me.  I must get my hands on some.

We have heard of Customers using it for brewing, for use in brewing however there are better alternatives which contain additives and also deliver bitterness which work better in brewing.

This almost suggests that Saunders, being free of additives is more 'pure' than brewing extracts!  I'm thinking what they are really referring to is hopped extracts - i.e. beer kits, where the 'additives' referred to are in fact hops....?      🤔

Archived