Coopers Community

Saunders Malt Extract English Bitter

Stoobrew

[roll] From Saunders to airlocks! This is killing me [pinched] ...[biggrin]

Muddy,

It's all on the name of fun, conversation and knowledge. Stoo is just HAVINGAGO at all of us. That's alright isn't it? It sure beats commenting on sanitation , carbontation drops or something mundane like that.

What's that I hear? I think it that damned horse. I think it's still kicking.[biggrin]

More chest thumping than conversation if you ask me Chad but I will do my best to be tolerant....starting now [cool]

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After reading this I went to look for my airlock....I've lost it[crying]

I seem to have lost my sediment reducer as well [crying] [crying]

Come to think of it the DIY kit I bought from Kmart didn't have either of these. Maybe that is how they could sell the kits for $55- [rightful]

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok so Thanks Canadian and everyone else! You learned me good!

So results of my little experiment! Straight from my beer notes!

English Bitter can

1kg of malt extract from the supermarket

500g light dry malt

1/2 finishing hops ala brigalow...aroma...will be interesting to see what happens there!

Sg 1048

Fg 1010

awesome beer!!!

That was the saunders I'm sure everyone here has mades much better beers. Honestly it tasted nice,wasnt to heavy, was refreshing with a slight floral aroma and a nice english taste to it.

English Bitter(LHBS MALT FFS)

7/06/12 Thurs 4pm

Coopers EB can

1.5 Black Rock Amber Malt

1/2 a brigalow finishing hop(slightly lower than the 2/3 i probably used in the other

Notes, well saunders isnt only made by one company...almost proving they buy excess malt from other companies...not the residue..the excess...HA stupid forum teaching me nothing!

Bottled on 27/6/2012

Sg 1047

fg 1012

So that was the side by side....and it tasted the EXACT same...and was more expensive to make due to petrol!

Thats it from me...there is your side by side...I guess you just have to trust me on the taste or do the same experiment for yourselves if your keen!

Cheers for the help again guys much appreciated! You have all helped me crank out some killer beers since I posted this and it was from all the knowledge that seeped out in between the banter.

If anyone is keen also I would recommend trying this

I call bias. The only objective way to settle this is for you to send us all a bottle of each labelled Sample A and Sample B.

We each vote which one we preferred and then you tell us which one we voted for.

Who's with me? :P

I call bias. The only objective way to settle this is for you to send us all a bottle of each labelled Sample A and Sample B.

We each vote which one we preferred and then you tell us which one we voted for.

Or you could make it yourself....I dont need to appease anyone else's taste buds...

Or you could make it yourself....I dont need to appease anyone else's taste buds...

Aww, was hoping you'd send me some delicious brews to taste [crying]

So that was the side by side....and it tasted the EXACT same...and was more expensive to make due to petrol!

I wouldn't recommend adding petrol to your beer [crying]

Anyway, glad it worked out Stoo.

Ah crap...I knew I got something wrong! Beers in the mail everyone! [crying]

• 6 years later...
On 2/16/2019 at 9:09 PM, Smashed Crabs said:

Soooooo is this Saunders stuff any good ? 😂🤣

😁

On a serious note, it probably is good.   Here in NZ we have a supermarket malt extract called Maltexo.  It's made by the same people (i.e. Speights, owned by Lion) who make Black Rock, WilliamsWarn, Lion, Brewtec and MangroveJacks 1.7kg homebrew beer cans.  In the case of Maltexo I personally reckon it's the exact same stuff as the BlackRock's 1.7kg Ultra-Light LME with the one advantage being that it's cheaper.  I brewed with Maltexo way back in the 80's and still use it from time to time even now.    I have a hunch Saunders is likely just the same - a more affordable and equally as good substitute for "brew grade" extract.   I suspect the only thing that sets them apart really is marketing.   

I agree Blacksands, except with regard to affordability.  

Saunders sells here for $10/kg at Coles and Woolies.  Coopers sells its unhopped extracts on this site for $12.00/ 1.5kg ($10.60 for members). 

The only real justification for using Saunders appears to be availability - which is why Stoo was using it... according to Stoo.

Whatever happened to Muddy Waters ?  Nothing since May when he sold all his bottles.  

I remember this thread, I later changed my mind on Saunders after getting access to more information.

I think stoo had an issue with discerning between being told what to do as opposed to being advised on best practices. The others were just trying to help him make better beer and he basically stuck his middle finger up at them in response. Can't help someone who knows everything already...

Geez, it seems like this thread really left its mark - and it was 7 years ago.  I can't really see what the fuss was about but I suppose you had to be there. 

I am only using Saunders Malt Extract for the sake of authenticity of the 1978 brew.  I have no idea if its any good other than my memory of swilling cheap home brew in the 1970's,  but I expect to find out when the 1978 brew is ready.  

I agree 100% with lusty here. These old threads should be canned. Absolutely no point in asking the op for his input again. And the replies made are based on that persons knowlage at the time. Times have changed, brewing like all aspect has changed in not many short years. One thing we need to do as a group is rationalise what we talk about. Gather the information in one place. Typical example is ROTM. So many threads on this it makes it so hard to follow. RTOM 2019 might be the way to go. Then we keep all this good shit in one place. We have some great topics, kegging time, whats in the fermenter and what you drinking. But we need to categorise more. Dry hopping, temperature control and carbonation would be some good subjects. And also the newbie questions which are answered 100 times. Specific question like my last on rolled oats should be in an ingredients thread and so on and so forth. Im pissed 🤪

11 hours ago, Titan said:

I agree 100% with lusty here. These old threads should be canned. Absolutely no point in asking the op for his input again. And the replies made are based on that persons knowlage at the time. Times have changed, brewing like all aspect has changed in not many short years. One thing we need to do as a group is rationalise what we talk about. Gather the information in one place. Typical example is ROTM. So many threads on this it makes it so hard to follow. RTOM 2019 might be the way to go. Then we keep all this good shit in one place. We have some great topics, kegging time, whats in the fermenter and what you drinking. But we need to categorise more. Dry hopping, temperature control and carbonation would be some good subjects. And also the newbie questions which are answered 100 times. Specific question like my last on rolled oats should be in an ingredients thread and so on and so forth. Im pissed 🤪

Not sure if it is a good idea to just have a thread called "Ingredients" and every post regarding ingredients goes in there. 5 people post about it and we have 5 different discussions going on in the same thread. It makes it impossible to keep track of who said what to whom about what.

What would make more sense would be having subcategories. Like having a subcategory "Ingredients" under the "DIY Beer Blether" category and all ingredients related posts go in there. 

22 hours ago, James of Bayswater said:

I agree Blacksands, except with regard to affordability.  

Saunders sells here for $10/kg at Coles and Woolies.  Coopers sells its unhopped extracts on this site for $12.00/ 1.5kg ($10.60 for members). 

Ahh... yeah, different pricing.  1.5kg Maltexo is $9.69 for me as opposed to $16.90 for 1.7kg of Black Rock. 

Coopers OS cans  - $12.69 from supermarket

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

They are pretty useless threads but they can be entertaining to read through. There are a number of hilarious ones on ahb from back in the day before they banned most of them. This one didn't quite reach those heights though 😂

This thread was pretty tame. This forum is usually quite civil; even Lusty is fairly polite when he disagrees with everyone.

There have been some threads that have disappeared (along with some members). But given the amount of activity on here, I'm surprised (and thankful) that everyone is pretty cool.

Archived