Coopers Community

Saunders Malt Extract English Bitter

Stoobrew

Ok well everyone can now relax and take a deep breath. I just dropped THE EXACT same EB with a can of Black Rock Amber malt 1' date='5kg...sg 1047...[/quote']

Hey Stoo

That's cool.

On Monday I bottled my Extra Special English Bitter, the Coopers EB can, 1.5kg Coopers Amber Malt and 250g Dark Brown sugar with rinsed S04 yeast. Can'twait to taste. One thing we agree on Stoo is the quality of the EB kit.

I am yet to do an all extract brew but I have a plan. Coopers light malt with POR, Galaxy and Willamette. I hope to pull off a Styx River APA. If you really want to continue to be the ambassador for Saunders Malt perhaps you should put down an all extract brew with 3kg of Saunders and some hops of your choice. Once you pull this off, produce a knock out beer and share the recipe for everyone here and on AHB you will be vindicated in your persistent campaign.

Double Cheers

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you really want to continue to be the ambassador for Saunders Malt perhaps you should put down an all extract brew with 3kg of Saunders and some hops of your choice. Once you pull this off, produce a knock out beer and share the recipe for everyone here and on AHB you will be vindicated in your persistent campaign.

Well I rang Saunders this arvo as GavinE suggested after buying another tin of thier malt and realising it was made by someone else and not morgan. They said they buy excess malt1 from anyone that has excess enough to can 1000 tins. They said its absolutely fine for brewing and half of their suppliers are brewing companies.

Having said that the idea of this thread was originally to help people like me who have to travel 50-150km (round trip) to their 'lhbs' to get liquid malt extract or even dried malt with petrol pushing $1.50 a litre in SA...it kinda hurts to drive that far for malt I was just hoping the stuff in the can was good enough! Ok so if you require that recipie it will be done!!! 3kg's would seem a bit large to me maybe you should give me a heads up on a recipe that uses 3kg of amber malt and comes out at at no more than $20 a carton...but tastes like $80 a carton beer from the shop. Geezus maybe I should talk to saunders about getting paid for this shit, I didnt even think about being an ambassador for them...Im only after good beer I dont have to waste a crap ton of fossil fuels on! And walking 200m to the local supermarket is doing that...driving 100km to the LHBS and back is not mate [alien]

Then again I have enough Fuggle hops to smash something out...maybe that will be my project for Tommorrow...first all extract brew trying to clone coopers EB using Saunders and fuggles...has anyone got a good idea about whats in that can(Coopers EB There is def lots of fuggles I know that much)? I read someone saying it was like something they used to drink in Scotland...also my mother country!!!

When it comes down to it Saunders is a product that has been discussed and experimented with many times over the years but I'm yet to hear of anyone having anything but decidedly average beers from using it.

I'll stick to mail order rather than make average beer...I want great beer.

Half of the suppliers are brewing companies....

..and at $9 a kilo it wouldn't take long to get your $$$ worth getting Coopers posted @ $11 for 1.5 kg. 6 brews I reckon at 1.5kg per brew! Not that I can afford that outlay in one hit. Think I'll stick to the dried and the LM I can get through the local Brew It Yourself place. Anyway you want you to be able to choose what type of malt you use each time, not the same in every brew.

This really is getting boring and several times my head has nearly exploded from the restraint I have had to use to keep this a clean, family friendly forum,(lucky too, wouldn't of wanted jasond4s daughter seeing it [roll] ) so boring in fact I think I just slipped into a coma.

A funny thing happened to me on the way to the LHBS..... Well actually when I got there today... for the first time in 4-5 years Grain and Grape had a shelf (small shelf) full of different Coopers LM. hmm wonder if this thread was read by someone in charge at either end of the equation?? I didn't buy any though they wanted $13 a can, you'd think the unhopped cans would be a lot cheaper than the hopped..... DME is my saviour. [pinched]

Hey Gang,

I know it's not SAUNDER's but I thought I'd post a linky for the barley malt I use. I was happy to see that they mention homebrewing in the description of the uses for this product.[cool]

It tastes good. Works well for me. It's found 3 blocks from my place at the grocery store![cool]

BTW, Sorry to keep kicking the dead horse![devil] [innocent]

BTW' date=' Sorry to keep kicking the dead horse[/quote']

It doesn't appear to be dead yet.

Is this the Amber Malt you list in your recipes? It looks like a good size to add that little extra amber malt to the brew without having to store the unused liquid malt.

+1

Hey Gang,

I know it's not SAUNDER's but I thought I'd post a linky for the barley malt I use. I was happy to see that they mention homebrewing in the description of the uses for this product.

It tastes good. Works well for me. It's found 3 blocks from my place at the grocery store

So yeah drinking it yesterday...great drop one of the best I've made and for the price I'd be doing that over a nelson sauvin kit or something like that from the LHBS. Tastes on par if not better than a kit like that. Have no real difference in taste or body over the stuff I have made with LHBS liquid malts. I think everyone just needs to have a bit of a chill. I actually just picked up on the bit on the COOPERS site that says this http://www.coopers.com.au/corporate/malt-extract funny what you can find with a bit of research and as I said before fellas!! So i'd almost put money on coopers making a LOT of the 'food grade'(shit inedible junk which is especially SHIT for brewing with). So I also had the pleasure of driving past Coopers and West end breweries this week for work. I must say Coopers have a WHOLE lot more going on with thier mash tons seeing as they have about 3 times the amount that west end does.

Maybe I should try get my hands on some of the malt that West End uses...that would be AMAZING quality...I'm sure far far far better than the saunders!

After all this malt seems to be made by brewing companies and sold to everyone else...whether the grade is lesser or not still has not been proven or disproven...So let the dead horse lie if no one except Canadian Ehl is going to actually help(good luck burying it...)

Saunder EB was a winner for me, amazing colour, aroma and flavour! The big w hops seems to be making this more bitter to with some florally aromas also. I like it a lot and at pretty much $24-$26 all up for 2 cartons of it!! Will def be doing this mix again...I also have the LHBS mix done with LHBS Amber malt for some REAL world comparison [devil] and Ill let everyone know how UNDIFFERENT the final products taste!![rightful]

Oh and Full extract has been done...by someone who knows a LOT more than me...this might quell some of your fears fellas!!! http://www.ahb.com.au/forum/index.php?showtopic=45203

[quote=Stoobrew whether the grade is lesser or not still has not been proven or disproven...So let the dead horse lie if no one except Canadian Ehl is going to actually help(good luck burying it...)

Stoo,

You really are a piece of work![biggrin] I like the way you stir up conversation.

The way I see this whole "food grade vs. brewing grade malt" debate is that as homebrewer's we must be resourceful. If SAUNDER's is what you got then brew with it. It will make homebrewed brew. Everone MUST remember that we are only making homebrew from mostly extract ingredients. How profoundly different can one jar of goo be from the next. Really now?[roll]

The nearest can of BREWING GRADE malt extract might be at the closest 400km from my brewery and I'll be damned if I am going to hitch up the horse and wagon to go and get it when there is a perfectly good substitute right down the street.

I think the horse might still be kicking![devil]

+1

The nearest can of BREWING GRADE malt extract might be at the closest 400km from my brewery and I'll be damned if I am going to hitch up the horse and wagon to go and get it when there is a perfectly good substitute right down the street.

I'm glad at least someone has the guts to back this up! Really it was about being 'to far' from my 'LHBS'(ie its not LOCAL)!

I must say there is a little box you can live in if you like and a whole wide world outside of that little box...I guess it just takes courage sometimes...and sometimes being such a tight arse that there is no courage...just the 'best' substitute you can buy at the freaking supermarket. That said...I think it made far better beer than spending $7 on a kg of BE2 [bandit]

Muddy,

It's all on the name of fun, conversation and knowledge. Stoo is just HAVINGAGO at all of us. That's alright isn't it? It sure beats commenting on sanitation , carbontation drops or something mundane like that.

What's that I hear? I think it that damned horse. I think it's still kicking.[biggrin]

Archived