Coopers Community

Centenarillo Ale with Cascade?

Otto Von Blotto

Dunno what I'm missing here, unless the AA percentage on the hops used in the original recipe was way different. The recipe states just over 30IBU's is the target bitterness.

With my hops (Amarillo @ 7.8% and Centennial @ 10.5%), IanH spreadsheet is calculating approx 50IBU's when doing:

20g Centennial @ 30min

40g Amarillo @ 20min

40g Amarillo @ 10min.

Even when bringing the Centennial down to 15g I'm still hitting about 46IBU's.

Is it just my hops are a different AA percentage or am I missing something here?

Edited by MitchellScott

1 hour ago, MitchellScott said:

Dunno what I'm missing here, unless the AA percentage on the hops used in the original recipe was way different. The recipe states just over 30IBU's is the target bitterness.

With my hops (Amarillo @ 7.8% and Centennial @ 10.5%), IanH spreadsheet is calculating approx 50IBU's when doing:

20g Centennial @ 30min

40g Amarillo @ 20min

40g Amarillo @ 10min.

Even when bringing the Centennial down to 15g I'm still hitting about 46IBU's.

Is it just my hops are a different AA percentage or am I missing something here?

On 5/1/2012 at 6:29 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

On my packets the AA% for Centennial is 10.5 and Amarillo 9.2, so I just put those figures into the spreadsheet, to get it around 31IBU on those percentages I had to change the Centennial to 15g instead of 20g, which is with a 5 litre boil and that "HCF" option set to "YES". When it's set to "NO" it comes out at 52.3[lol]

On the 6 litre boil I have to reduce the Centennial to 11g to get an IBU of 31.4.

Looks like the Hop Concentration Factor comes into play for Otto's recipe. What size is your boil?

I use the hcf when I do boils smaller than 10l, for those 10l or above I do not use it. I am pretty sure Neill did a 5l boil so he had the HCF on to compensate for the dilution. I would be trying to get the IBUs to the 31 as per the recipe.

This is an old recipe that is good but I found it to be not as aromatic as I like. But definitely a nice recipe to sink your teeth into. A good ale non the less.

24 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I use the hcf when I do boils smaller than 10l, for those 10l or above I do not use it. I am pretty sure Neill did a 5l boil so he had the HCF on to compensate for the dilution. I would be trying to get the IBUs to the 31 as per the recipe.

This is an old recipe that is good but I found it to be not as aromatic as I like. But definitely a nice recipe to sink your teeth into. A good ale non the less.

Could always add in a FO hop addition or dry hop to increase the aroma.

I may even do this however for the first brew I shall stick to the recipe to get a good baseline.

23 minutes ago, Smash said:

Cheers mate 🙂

• Like 1

Well put this down today.

IanH spreadsheet calculated OG of 1.049.

OG when tested with hydrometer was about 1.044 so a little off. I did slightly over fill the FV but not much. I then added another 150g of Dex and it brought the OG up to 1.047 so pitched the yeast and put it in the fridge.

Will see how it goes I guess. I did have to use Morgans Unhopped Malt as the LHBS was out of Coopers.

Not sure why the numbers were a bit out but hopefully tastes the goods in a few weeks 🙂

Edited by MitchellScott
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 7/30/2019 at 1:24 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yes, I used the HCF when I did the extract version. I'll probably have to adjust the amounts when I do an AG one though. 

Rather than adjust the amounts I simply adjusted the times, except the Centennial I did change a little bit to get a bit more bitterness. Just came up with this in about 5 minutes, cost $20 for 25 litres. Usual 75 minute boil even though the first hop addition isn't until 30 minutes left. I'll do the brew day itself either next weekend or the one after. I'll be interested to see if this version tastes like what I can remember the original did. I left my usual addition of crystal malt out to try to more closely resemble the malt makeup. Predicted OG is 1.050, FG 1.011 which is pretty much the same.

36.00 L Distilled Water (APA) Water 1 - -
8.50 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash) Water Agent 2 - -
5.50 g Calcium Chloride (Mash) Water Agent 3 - -
4.00 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash) Water Agent 4 - -
2.95 g Salt (Mash) Water Agent 5 - -
4.800 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC) Grain 6 90.2 % 3.13 L
0.500 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 7 9.4 % 0.33 L
0.020 kg Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC) Grain 8 0.4 % 0.01 L
25.00 g Centennial [10.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 9 18.6 IBUs -
40.00 g Amarillo [7.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 9.9 IBUs -
40.00 g Amarillo [7.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min, 90.2 C Hop 11 6.8 IBUs -
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)
  • Like 1