Coopers Community

Centenarillo Ale with Cascade?

Otto Von Blotto

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at doing the Centenarillo Ale soon, but my LHBS doesn't stock Centennial. They do have Amarillo and Cascade though, so I was wondering how it would turn out to replace the Centennial with Cascade, and would I have to alter the amount at all?

Cheers,

Kelsey

Using Cascade will not be the same. However, it would still be a nice drop as Cascade and Amarillo go well together [joyful]

Keep all the late hops as they are then bitter using the Cascade to the required IBUs. You will need more Cascade simply because Centennial hops have a higher percentage of Alpha Acids.

erm... Id check the AA's of both and just wing it, depends on what you want to be more up front.. either way it's going to be a good session beer..

I havnt brewed that beer but Ive used Centennial and Cascade loads.. also love Amarillo and my preference would be to load up the Amarillo

Centennial is often refered to as Super Cascade so I'd go 1/4 more by weight of Cascade than Centennial.

Yob

Well the "crisis" has been averted. I managed to get into Craftbrewer on my travels at work today and picked up some Centennial and Amarillo. [biggrin] I'll get the malt tins next weekend when I have a bit more money to spare, I won't be brewing til then anyway. Looking forward to this, it'll be my first brew without using hopped beer kits.

Cheers,

Kelsey

Might have to try that one some time!

Just another question, I put this recipe into Ian's spreadsheet, there's an option to choose "Hop Concentration Factor" on it, when it's set to "NO" the IBUs are at 56.7, when set to "YES" it comes out at 36.5. This is with a 6 litre boil, boil gravity at 1040, and hop schedule as per recipe, using AA% quoted on the packs. Which is more accurate?

Cheers,

Kelsey

Ummmm, the Centenarillo comes out at about 30-31 IBUs. Even 36.5% is too high imo. I reckon you haven't adjusted the AA% for the hops.

See my first post:

Keep all the late hops as they are then bitter using the Cascade to the required IBUs. You will need more Cascade simply because Centennial hops have a higher percentage of Alpha Acids.

Make sure you adjust the AA% to reflect the true IBUs in the spreadsheet then adjust the hops to come out at about 31 IBU.

On my packets the AA% for Centennial is 10.5 and Amarillo 9.2, so I just put those figures into the spreadsheet, to get it around 31IBU on those percentages I had to change the Centennial to 15g instead of 20g, which is with a 5 litre boil and that "HCF" option set to "YES". When it's set to "NO" it comes out at 52.3[lol]

On the 6 litre boil I have to reduce the Centennial to 11g to get an IBU of 31.4.

• 4 weeks later...

I tried a bottle of this yesterday after a week in the bottle. My final recipe was:

2x1.5 kg tins of TC Light Malt (liquid)

500g Dex

15g Centennial @ 30 mins

40g Amarillo @ 20 mins

40g Amarillo @ 10 mins

6 litre boil with 780g of the Light Malt

US-05 yeast

Made to 23 litres.

OG 1048 FG 1011

5.5% ABV

Even after a week this has turned out excellently, it will have a couple of months in the bottles now before I get to it so should be even better by then. There's a distinct hop aroma and flavour to it, which I rather enjoyed, and for my tastes at least, the bitterness is nicely balanced against the malt flavour. I think the IBU was around 34, at least that's what the spreadsheet calculated based on my hop additions and boil size. Definitely be making this one again[biggrin]

Cheers,

Kelsey

Glad you like it Kelsey. It would have to be one of my favorite Extracts recipes. 34 IBU is fine and next time you do it you can adjust to suit your tastes now that you know what to expect.

Truely a nice drop this one! [love] ... well done Neill.

• 5 years later...

Hey Kelsey,

Was gonna give this a try, was this the exact recipe for Neils Centenarillo ? Hard to find it and this thread seems to be the only place i can find it.

also, any dry hopping happening with this one?

cheers

Rob

From somewhere on AHB:

2 x 1.5kg Coopers LME tins (pale)

500g Dextrose

20g Centennial @ 30 min

40g Amarillo @ 20 min

40g Amarillo @ 10 min

Total 31 IBU

OG 1058

The AA% of the hops will alter the IBU so you may need to adjust the quantities.

Great beer love

My question on this recipe is why only a 30 min boil? Is it because the ibus needed are met with a 30 min boil? I guess I am asking why on some recipes is it a 30min boil, Neils Centrillo Ale being one but on others a 60min boil is recommended? I tried an extract brew lager/pilsner thing with a 30 min boil using perle and it was way to sweet and I was told to do a 60 min boil? Is it due to the beer style, ales versus pilsners? I am showing my ignorance but I have been trying to understand this for a couple of weeks, and my research ( googling ) has brought different views specifically in the recipes. I think this is a fair forum for this question as it deals with this recipe and others like it...but if I have stepped out of line I apologize.

I am planning on brewing this in about a month so that should help...then maybe trying it with a 60 min at same ibus...but why would I extend the boil if I dont have too...I am confused to say the least.

Thanks y'all

Norris

Hi Kelsey' date='

Welcome to the wonderful world of home brewing [img']biggrin[/img]

lollol Thanks mate tongue

Larfleeze, I suspect it just depends on the recipe but I don't see many extract recipes with full 60 minute boils. The reason it's done in AG brewing is more to do with wort composition than hopping, as you often read of brewers only adding hops in the last 10 or 20 minutes of a boil, even if the wort is actually boiled for 60-90 minutes. With extract you don't need a full 60 minute boil for wort composition reasons, so if a recipe only contains hopping from 20 or 30 minutes down, then you only need to boil it for that long. I always liked to boil it for a few minutes before adding the hops to allow the foaming to subside, so it was more like a 35 minute boil with the first hop addition at 30 minutes left. I still do this now with my AG batches.

Cheers

Kelsey

Cheers Kelsey! I have read everything I could find on this, but it helps if someone also chimes in to provide more detail and actual experience to the information, I was at the point where I was truly confusedwhistling.

Like most things with this homebrewing, you have to get your hands dirty and do it, or you are just theorizing and probably will end up talking to yourself in a corner going crazy because for ever process their is a variation.

I was going to try to brew the Centenrillo Ale after I make a pear cider, then after I make that try the Centenrillo Ale again but reduce the boil times but up the grams to get the same IBU's... I have no idea if it will work, but from what I have read why would'nt it? The only way to know is to try it.

Cheers,

Norris

• 1 year later...
33 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

You'd have to ask Neill, but it was certainly a very nice beer brewed to the recipe. 

Will stick to the recipe.

Just had a look on AHB, might even steep 200g of crystal in it to improve the head/body a little. Looks like he re-brewed it with that and liked the outcome.

Sweet! Got my next brew sorted 🙂