Coopers Community

Nut Brown Recipe

StevenC1

I'm not too sure if $40 is good value for these feature recipes of the month. Maybe $30 or less even for members?...Just last week Big W had OS cans on sale for less than $10.

I guess if your in the middle of Woop-Woop, it may be value but not from where I live....Shame, I like the free-bee's[crying]

I'm not too sure if $40 is good value ...

$10 for a can, about $13 for the ldm, about $1.50 for 250g of crystal. i don't understand how that comes to 40 bucks......

But yeh I also think Coopers DME is extortionate.

Two things spring to mind:

1/ I don't mind paying a premium when a product is accompanied by exceptional customer support.

When I decided to purchase last moths English Stout offer I compared the prices with my LHBS and not Big W. The premium I pay at the LHBS is worth the extra customer service and advice that I receive. The cans may be up to $3 more expensive but I doubt the LHBS could survive on malt, grain and hop sales alone.

2/ When you make your own bed you get to lay in it.

If everyone shopped at Big W for the Coopers Kits the LHBS would eventually go to the wall (just like Australian manufacturers who have had to contend with all the bargin huters buying up cheap made in China products). Once Big W has a monoploy they will seek to maximise profits, either prices rise or they develop their own generic brand of hop extract and compete directly with Coopers and the like (just like the generic barnds of Milk and other household FMGs).

Sorry about the post night shift left wing ramble from someone who leans to the right [innocent]

"Hear hear" Nelson.

I agree, hence why I've purchased the last two recipe of the months.

You're also getting the ingredients and a recipe for something that's been tested. The guys at the LHBS may tell you how to do one, but it might not be something they've done before. And Big W certainly haven't done one [sick]

I already have a heap of brews planned (and cans purchased), which is my only reason for not going with this one. The lure of the Dark Ale (one of my 4 all-time favourite beers) stubby holders is very tempting though...

Craftbrewer DME is $7.90/kilo and there customer service is exceptional, I use them for everything except the coopers kits which I do admittedly get from BigW.

I use CB because they do everything I need, all the LHBS in my area are rubbish and dont do nearly enough of the ingredients I need

• 8 years later...
3 hours ago, alilley said:

Well. Is there any chance the recipe page could get updated with this information? 

@Coopers DIY Beer Team, Can you help with this?

I noticed that the recipe page has been adjusted to show the grains as Light Crystal Malt now that you can buy 100g of it through the Coopers site.  You could not buy it direct when the recipe originally came out.  However, the recipe also still shows 1 × 200g Crystal Malt Grain under the "You Supply" column.  This is confusing enough without throwing in the question of is it meant to be Light, Medium or Dark Crystal.  Looking at the EBC's of the recipe you could only get to 55 EBC by using Dark Crystal Malt.  Somebody from @Coopers DIY Beer Team will have to go back to the archives to find the correct answer.

I have done the Nut Brown Ale twice.  Each time, not quite to the recipe.  Although each time I did use Light Crystal, not Dark. 

1.  Nut Brown Ale - Half Batch

• 0.85kg Dark Ale
  • 500g BE1
  • 250g LDM
  • Add 200g Light Crystal Malt grains - Steeped for 30 minutes and strained and boiled for 10 minutes
  • Topped up to 11.5L
  • Harvested US-05 Yeast (3rd Gen)
  • 39 EBC
  • OG 1.047

2.  Nut Brown Porter - 25L batch

• 1.7kg Dark Ale
  • 1.5kg Pale Malt Liquid Extract
  • 500g Light Crystal Malt
  • 200g Brown Malt
  • Nottingham
  • 52 EBC
  • OG 1.047

Both were beaut beers.

20 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Although each time I did use Light Crystal, not Dark. 

Both were beaut beers.

Cheers. Didn't realise the forum was actively monitored by admins.
The dark ale tin is bloody good as is, not sure light crystal would have added anything at all. I assumed it was medium crystal they were intending.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Coopers DIY Beer Team said:

Hey @Shamus O'Sean

Yep, we're aware of this recipe showing the '1 × 200g Crystal Malt Grain' under You Supply when it shouldn't, we're working on getting this resolved asap.

For this recipe go by the 'Recipe Contains' or the 'Ingredients' section in the method. 

Cheers, 

Coopers DIY Beer Team

Cheers lads, 

A heads up, the recipe page says light crystal. PB2 stated Dark Crystal in this thread.

On 4/12/2012 at 3:43 AM, PB2 said:

It's Dark Crystal. [smile]