Coopers Community

Seal on homebrew kit.

Moose

Hey all.

I have just started my first brew with the Coopers Micro Brew kit.

However I have been unable to get a good seal. The fermentation process seems to be going nicely.

The airlock is bubbling a tiny bit, not much.

There is condensation on the top of the lid which I believe is also a good indication that the fermentation process is under way.

Just wondering how important it is to get a good tight seal.

I am new to brewing so I will not be suprised if this brew doesn't work :P

Cheers.

Moose.

It's not absolutely required, if you feel the brew is indeed well underway and the lid is at least on, then that reduces your chance of contamination (especially as the fermentation will be creating a positive-pressure environment). If my fermenter wasn't sealig properly, the only thing I would be careful about is not leaving it too long after fermentation has finished to being bottling.

The gravity is down to 1010 now and the fermentation process seems to be very quiet.

There is no sign of infection, although I am worried that if the pressure drops in the fermenter infection may occur.

Well I bottled the brew, all seems to be fine.

However, upon further investigation into the inadequate seal, I have noticed that either the fermenter or the fermenter lids thread is a bit off, the lid will screw in fine until a certain point and then it *clicks* and one side is a quite bit higher than the other which stops it from sealing.

I noticed it when I first started the brew but didn't want to play with it due to the fact there was a brew starting :D

Is there a known problem with the fermenter or am I just the unlucky one? 8)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

ky jelly?!?

crikey that's a new one. I'd hate to get the taste of that in my beer. I dunno why it's necisarry to rub stuff on the seal... the O-ring is rubber.. and as you tighten it the rubber should squish against the plastic to make an air-tight seal.

Moose... when you said the airlock bubbled... but not much... how much is not much? like.. how many times would it bubble within 5 minutes?

Don't forget to follow the instructions that come with the kit... The part about squeezing the sides of the fermenter to see the airlock chambers in the airlock change levels.. and if they stay at different levels for 60 seconds then it's a good seal.

I find that with my coopers kit lid it starts to screw on crooked... then the threading clicks as I tighten it more. It straightens itself out making a perfect seal. And yeah.. it's hard to get it off after tightening it so.

The seal I got with my coopers kit was a white seal, and got all dry and powdery after a couple of uses. I got a new seal (black one) from my local brew shop and did have some sealing problems but since made a simple spanner to tighten and remove the lid.

I'ts rough looking but works a treat.

Made of an old lenght of scrap angle iron with two slots cut out of it.

I'll make a nicer looking one one day. This one is all rusty and gets your hands quite dirty.

Cheers - Martin

Originally, a black o-ring was supplied with the micro-brew kit but we found that it wasn't quite up to the task. We replaced it with a white o-ring which seems to be spongier, more durable and has a larger cross section.

If your o-ring has started to deteriorate after only a couple of uses, send us you address details and we will send you a replacement.

I use an emersion heater in fermenter then put gladwrap over top with

the seal from the lid pulled over the gladwrap.

A couple of pin holes in the gladwrap to let extra gas escape.

Added bonus, you just look in through the gladwrap to see how your brew

is going.I've had no problems with infection. (touch wood)

Archived