Coopers Community

White cane sugar

Jim

Hi guys.. wondering if someone who's been down this path already can save me some months of waiting (and free up a keg for that matter).

My first brew is still here sitting in a keg, a Coopers real ale perhaps 6 weeks old, and while I figured out my mistake with later brews, this one was made with plain old white cane sugar.

At last tasting (perhaps 4 weeks old at the time), I'd rate it somewhere between horribly bitter, apple cider and godawful.

So my question is, as I understand beer mostly improves with age up to a point, is the wait justified in this case (and just how long before this might be passable?), or am I better off cutting my losses, using it as weedkiller and freeing up the use of a keg?

Anyone been here already?

this one was made with plain old white cane sugar.

I'd rate it somewhere between horribly bitter, apple cider and godawful.

how much sugar? A Kilo?... Id toss it on the lawn mate, I use no more than a few hundred grams of DEX in any kit brew.

replace the table sugar with all (or 80%) DME (Dry Malt Extract)

Life is too short to waste on average beer [roll]

You may have to wait a bloody long time for that keg mate..

One kilo, yes. The intent was to make something exactly to the recipe to serve as a baseline before messing about with hops etc.

Used BE2 since then and it was a bit meh, but the current crop is 1kg LDM/200g dextrose so I have high hopes for those [biggrin]

Bahhhhh I just wrote a heap and lost it [crying]

So am going to summarise in dot points.

acetaldehyde is the green apple taste. It will take too long to disipate so chuck it.

By the time you need to wait for this brew to be drinkable you could have drunk 2-3 kegs by then.

I usually start drinking my kegs from anytime within an hour to 1 week after kegging. Depending how quick I need the beer.

Everything else was similar to what Yob said - life is too short for crap beer.

Cheers

Archived