Coopers Community

A few questions from a new brewer

c39322

I've just bottled my first batch of brew following the instructions from the video and manual provided in my kit. I allowed the recommended six days for fermenting, and the temperature of the brew averaged around 20 degrees.

I've asked a couple of mates at work who also do their own brews, and they say that they usually don't bottle theirs until fermenting for a fortnight. They also use electric blankets around their vats to keep the wort temperature constant.

Would you recommend I try these things to ensure a good batch of home brew (the longer fermenting time and electric blanket)? I've been given a few different stories and would appreciate some opinions from experienced brewers and Coopers staff, if possible. (Christmas is coming soon, and I want to have a jolly old time... :wink: )

I think you'll only need to use a heating belt/blanket if you're having problems with keeping the brew at a constant temerature. My brews are done in a fairly temperature stable part of the house, so I usually don't need any heating equipment.

As for bottling time, I think it's best to rely on concordant specific gravity readings than on any particularl length of time. It might take two weeks to ferment at 20\xb0C, but it's best to just use that as a rule of thumb, rather than a precise schedule.

We agree with Kai. Two gravity readings 24 hours apart, roughly around your expected final gravity indicates that your beer is ready to bottle. Assuming that you are using our ale yeast and that the wort has remained above 18C, that is. We don't recommend leaving the fermented beer on the yeast sediment any longer than is necessary. I usually rack (transfer) the wort to a second fermenter a day or two prior to fermentation finishing. This gives you a few extra days to allow the beer to clear prior to bottling or kegging. The yeast sediment can impart off flavours to the beer (yeast bite or taint) as it starts to break down.

• 2 weeks later...

when racking, does it matter if i transfer from a small vat to a bigger one?

And also for temp control i use a heating pad. Brew does not exceed 24 when left on. Might get a 1 degree difference in temp depending on type of day.

Archived