Coopers Community

Exploding Bottles

c38968

I have been brewing for the last 14 months. As a learner to homebrew I have had minor hicups with my brews but I have over come them. However the most annoying is that at least two bottels from every brew explode. I am continuing to follow step by step instructions. The beer itself is a wonderful clear lager with plenty of flavour and a smooth taste. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thank you Jimbob :?:

Exploding bottles...AARRGH!!

When confronted with an exploded bottle look at the following:

1. Ensure that you bottle off after Final Gravity-FG has been achieved (two readings the same over a 24 hour period).

2. Prime your bottles at the rate of 6g/2 carb drops per 750ml, 3g/1 carb drop per 375ml or 8g per litre.

3. Pay particular attention to cleaning and sanitation of all equipment coming in contact with your beer as infected beer will continue to ferment beyond FG and overgass bottles.

4. Avoid thin walled twist top non-retunable bottles...these are the easiest and cheapest to procure in the first instance but look to replace them over time with more robust bottles.

5. Keep filled bottles away from high temperatures, ideally under 30C.

PS. I use the amber PET bottles when bottling home brew at the brewery and have had no problems.

Thank you Jeff and Paul for your recommendations.

I have always used carbination drops, however the bottles are the reusable/thin recycled ones. The bottles that have exploded are always West End Draught bottles. I have got four cartons of Crown Lager and Four cartons of Coopers Sparkling Ale bottles and they have never exploded and two cartons of the PET Bottles.

Cheers Jimbob

I thought the Coopers bottles were different to the wendies? West End bottles have that concentric ring/bump at the base of the neck, where Coopers do not.

Either way, I don't bottle with screw tops at all. I find they don't seal as reliably.

• 3 weeks later...

Its mentioned elsewhere, but PET is an easy option for home brew. And Ive never had one explode or split!

Coopers brown PETs are good for it. But so are any PET. Just keep em out of the light (same goes for all beer bottles, plastic or glass).

William

Archived