Coopers Community

Murray Rriver Pale Ale

Hey all cant wait for the missus to go to a kids party later on so i can put this brew on.

Murray River Pale Ale

1 Can Int Aus Pale Ale

1kg Dextrose

500 Grams Light Dry Malt

250 Grams Crystal Malt (Steeped 30 mins)

20 Grams Amarillo Pellets 10 min boil

20 Grams EKG Dry Hop around day 3 or 4

And kit yeast

Just one question with the steeping of grain my thermometer has decided to shit itself and this small town i live in doesnt sell them except for baby ones that go just over 40 degrees. Would simply warming the water until it steems but not boil be a good method to guess by? Would it really affect the beer at all if not in ideal range? Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Hi Jim,

I don't ever take a temp. check for my crystal grains steep. I bring the water to somewhere close to a boil and take it of the heat and stir the grains in then put the lid back on for the 30 mins. This method seems to work for me. You could also try adding a smaller amount of grains (say 100g) for 1min to the boil. This will give you the the body and head retention that you are looking for without the ill effects of the "[devil] evil tannins[devil] ".

Thank you chad for reasuring me it was an experience trying to guess i tell you but in end i thought to hell with the temp. As long as i cant safely touch the water as brendan said it must all be good so went with that.

Yeah i agree bill i would have loved the dex and LME amounts to be reversed for the last few brews i have done this mainly for cost. My work is picking up now so hopefully can afford some good ingredients soon. I can only buy 500 gram bags of LIght Dry Malt for $8.50 each way to expensive to add 2. I get dextrose for $4.30 a KG that was the reasoning behind it. I have a full 5 days at work next week so it looks like i may be doing a better recepie the week after [biggrin]

By the way all the talk of Amarillo on here is why i have used it last few brews and i must say even though early days im in [love]

I can only buy 500 gram bags of LIght Dry Malt for $8.50 each way to expensive to add 2.

Holey smoke and mirrors Batman... that's too expensive!! You really need to look around. Even at Craftbrewer they onnly charge $7.90 per kilo. Maybe get a few of these to make the postage worth while???

Yeah i can buy in bulk in Wodonga 25 bucks petrol there and back. Think its still 12.50 a killo a little better if buy 3 or 4 thats why waiting for my big pay in 2 weeks so its worth while. 30 bucks juice gets me around town for a week so only go to wodonga when really need to. sometimes if i get lucky local shop will have it for 15 bucks a kilogram but sits in a hot tin shed so not ideal. Wangaratta Big W or lavington my 2 closest also a 25 dollar petrol trip so hard to really save unless buy alot lol.

Ill see how much i can buy with my big pay [biggrin]

And yes sorry in regards to postage have not tried craftbrewer might give it a go. I get my hops nice and cheap sent up from grain and grape but when asked about 3kg of LDM was going to be 12.50 a killogram and 15 postage [crying]

So ill try craftbrewer when get some money otherwise the drive to wodonga where they have more selection as well seems like the way to go. But its also a tin shed thats a Home brew shop and pet store lol. Good old country NSW

Thanks for that i never knew postage would be that cheap from QLD id rather that than do the drive.[biggrin] I noticed hops are cheaper and have 90 gram packs rather than 80 thanks bill had no idea this place exsisted.

No problems. I am not affiliated with them just a happy customer.

Postage is the same Aust wide I believe. Nevertheless, I live in Tassie which is a bit further than NSW and I find they have great rates.

Their packs of yeast are good too. Here is their US05 24g for $8.50 is good. I use this and then brew heaps of brews from one twin pack. Like about 20-40 depending how lazy I am [rightful]

I am a tight ass so I always look for the cheapest way [cool]

They also have some great bargains with their Deal Of The Moment (DOTM) but it hasn't changed for a while.

Anyhow, take a look at them as I said previously, I am a happy chappy with them. Ross (the owner) and staff are great for advice and are always happy to help with no obligation to buy either.

yeah have just had a bit of a look on there great deals. I will definatly be switching to them for everything but the cans i think as i have never struggled to get one from safeway just everything else. The pale ale seems to be my fav at moment and draught they are always in stock.

Thanks again bill i sort of feel like a beer after all the talk of it but bloody kids first week at school got sick now i have it. [pinched]

Bill I have a quick question for you I'm just about to put a brew down with s04 have you re-used this before as with US 05

I haven't reused s04 much at all as I don't do a lot of English Ales. Nevertheless, it can be reused exactly the same as US05 without any problems.

Thank's for the links and feedback Bill and Chad, very helpful. Yob I have read a few negative's re 04 as well but I'm stuck with hardware store's or Coles/Woolies for Quick supplies, I wanted to try 05 with my current experiments but none available locally. Anyway will post results if worthwhile. Cheers Shane

Hey Ozale,

I just washed up some S-04 today![cool] It's my first time washing this type of yeast but I'm sure it works as well as any other. check this site out.

A pox on S04, sont have it on the property

The only brew I've ever tipped was a real ale and S04

Yob,

What the heck went wrong? Why was this brew so shite? Could it have been something other than the S-04? I've not sampled a brew made with this yeast but by all account before yours have been postive.

I have a packet of Nottingham in the fridge that i'm looking to try soon. From what I gather It has simaler characteristics to S-04. I'm looking for a versitile yeast to use for UK ales. The S-04 and the Notto were the first to try.

I hope my brew does not turn out as bad as yours.[crying] Most likely not![lol] [biggrin] [bandit] [devil]

I have used S-04 a couple of times with no dramas; but perhaps I was lucky. I have read plenty of posts about stalled fermentations etc.

I haven't used any of the Danstar yeasts but I was under the impression that Notto was a fairly neutral yeast and that Windsor would be closer to S-04.

Can anyone clarify that?

well gents sorry to go off topic[rightful]

My missus forgot to buy me Stockings to try them for dry hopping and we havent got any chux or anything. On one hand im hanging to just man up and chuck them in. On the other maby i should just buy some tomorrow as im over the limit to drive and cant be bothered walkin 1km to shop[crying]

Well Gents i am sick of tired of being promised stockings from people to aid in dry hopping so im about to man up and just chuck em in. Last time the grain bag came open and they escaped anyway so when bottoling i just pulled them out with sanitised strainer. Wasnt too bad so looks like im doing it again. [biggrin]

Going to weigh up 20 grams of EKG right now then there going in. [biggrin]

Archived