Coopers Community

"Those who know"

AndyG4

when I was brewing all those years ago I made a Coopers Real Ale. having done no research whatsoever at that stage, I think it probably used a BE2 and a kit yeast, and following the instructions all my brews of that era it would've been fermented for 6-7 days at 23-24 degrees before being bottled.

i always remembered that brew fondly, because it was the only truly great, memorable beer that i ever made. (Paul Mercurio's failed cleaning advice would see me give up not long after)

to this day i describe that beer as "tasting kind of like Kilkenny when it was good" (before it began being brewed under license)

Anecdotes aside, this description of those who can drink it - "those who know" - has been annoying me for weeks.

what does it mean? is it just a cop out description? is it a nod to those who like a more full flavoured beer?

i can't figure out what this description means!

I am sure it is not meant to be taken literally...

Somebody had to come up with the "blurbs". I don't think focus groups were applied to determine "Who can drink it"

The Canadian Blonde says "Active sun bunnies and poolside loungers alike".

I am positive they don't want to exclude hibernating Emos from enjoying their product[lol]

If you don't know what this means it's pretty safe to assume you're not one of "those who know". Don't feel bad it's a pretty exclusive club. However should you achieve enlightenment I'm pretty sure you'll get a knock at the door and get some sort of verbal go ahead.

Seriously I believe "those in the know" are just people who appreciate beers other than mass produced "30 can block" varieties.

To start with Who was on First Base, and if we go from there Coopers Real Ale is so great and versatile. You can make so many different Beers with it. From the sraight 1KG of sugar to all sorts of mixes, it all comes out very good. I still keep coming back to this one Beer(just remember to leave it to mature).[rightful]

From the sraight 1KG of sugar

[sick] [sick]

It'll be a cold day in hell when I next use a kilo of sugar with any kit... not trying to detract from something you like...

better beer can be made, IMO, regardless of the kit, with more malt, less sugar, hop additions...

the Yob Triangle [lol]

Yob

Anecdotes aside, this description of those who can drink it - "those who know" - has been annoying me for weeks.

what does it mean? is it just a cop out description? is it a nod to those who like a more full flavoured beer?

i can't figure out what this description means!

You aren't alone on this one. I guess it means something to smarter people than me??[roll] [pinched] [sideways] [unsure]

• 3 months later...

In the early 80's I was turned on to a beer called Watney's Red Barrel... The brewery isn't in business anymore and Real Ale tastes to me like an exact clone of Watneys and I'm thinking that Coopers can't blantantly claim their kits are close resemblances of other well known beers. This theory is just my opinion.

I absolutely love Real Ale with the BE1. I've tried it with several variations including light malt extract and the unreal ale recipe and still come back to the original kit. However, I plan to experiment with crystal malt and fuggles hops and try to enhance the flavor that way.

Gosh I'm in a quandry now !!

I was wondering what would be a good "quaffing" ale for my next brew or three, one that was palatable, quick to ferment/mature, and which was cheap enough not to worry about drinking too early. I want something that can fill the gap while I stock up with the longer "keeper" beers.

So anyway this thread took my interest as it sounded like Real Ale would fit the bill, but then mention of the dreaded Watneys Red barrell .... cripes I remember this from my days in the old dart as a bit of a laughing stock (No offence Jim, to each his own, and theres no such thing as a bad beer, just some are better than others), It even features in a Monty python Skit about English Tourists on the Costa del sol drinking "bloody Watneys Red Barrell"

On the other hand Andy syas its like a Kilkenny which I love.

So now do I try the Real Ale or not ?

anfd if so whats the best recipe ? (To get close to that Kilkenny)

Well... I grew up and still live in Colorado where Coors comes from. I was raised on Coors mainly, but drank Bud (brewed here also) and Millers. So In 1982 when a chum from Boulder turned me on to Watneys, I was instantly in serious like. I found the St. James Pub frequently to drink 20 Oz. Watneys on tap.

This I have to admit... When Watneys began to be brewed in North America, it definately went downhill and was not at all the same. Then it just disappeared in about 1990. Also it was never consistent in flavor. Sometimes killer good and sometimes to bitter.

I have to admit, I'm in love with the flavor of Real Ale. I just wanna tweak it a lil and get away from the BE1.

I don't understand what was so bad about Watneys. My other favorites are newcastle brown (on tap) and Bass ale. I feel the same about the traditional north american beers the way the UK feels about Watneys. I can't believe they are still in business with such lame products. Coors and Millers have sinced merged.

BTW... On a lighter note, I'm interested in a Kilkenney recipe also (when it was good).

Archived