Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Bottling Volume: 20.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 27.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 42.2 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.00 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         1          45.5 %        1.30 L        
1.50 kg          Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC)                  Grain         2          34.1 %        0.98 L        
0.50 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          11.4 %        0.33 L        
0.20 kg          Caraamber (Weyermann) (70.9 EBC)                 Grain         4          4.5 %         0.13 L        
0.20 kg          Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)                Grain         5          4.5 %         0.13 L        
10.00 g          Pride of Ringwood [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min      Hop           6          14.1 IBUs     -             
30.00 g          Cryo - Mosaic [22.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0  Hop           7          28.1 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          California Lager (Mangrove Jack's #M54)          Yeast         8          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Like 8

A Taiheke Pale Ale. A fairly simple grain bill and Taiheke as a single hop. I just want to see what the hop is like and I want to reduce the range of hops I have as I have way too many. 

image.thumb.jpeg.9592e027743547f37549341f8c1e897b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.283887aa6e63501e533db5971fc664fb.jpeg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Drago Marino - The Kraken - Black IPA

7.1% ABV; OG Predicted: 1.075 Actual: 1.077; FG Predicted: 1.021; EBC 67; IBU 74; BU/GU Ratio 0.98; Target volume 21.5 litres, but actually got 23 litres.

This was a nemesis beer for me.  About the only batch where I tipped the whole lot down the sink (apart from the 2-3 bottles I managed to drink).  It was my 5th all-grain brew about 4 years ago.  Probably a challenging beer for a novice brewer.  Not really sure what happened that time.  It did not seem to convert.  I had a massively stuck sparge.  In hindsight, the mash probably did not flow very well either.  The beer tasted very powdery, as if it had flour suspended through the beer.

Today's brew day went much smoother.  Experience made the world of difference.  I added a few handfuls of rice hulls.  Slowed the flow of the recirculation down using the recirculation tube tap.  Stirred the mash 3 times during the mash.  The only concerning thing was the Mosaic Lupomax hops smelled very bland.  Very annoying as they were a freshly opened bag I bought only a few weeks ago and I stored them in the freezer.  Instead of dry hopping with these hops, I might sub-in something else.  The Simcoe, bought at the same time from the same supplier, were fine.

The original recipe called for a Step Mash: 50°C for 30 minutes, 68°C for 60 minutes and 75°C mash out for 10 minutes, so I just followed this.

The amounts are a bit specific because it was to use up some leftovers.

• 3.55 kg Barrett Burston Victoria Pale Ale
  • 1.90 kg Munich Malt
  • 1.41 kg Vienna Malt
  • 410g Dark Crystal Malt
  • 260g Carafa Special II
  • 260g Chocolate Malt
  • 150g Acidulated Malt
  • 21g Magnum 60 minute boil (26 IBU)
  • 53g Simcoe 20 minute hopstand at 90°C (17 IBU)
  • 44g Citra 20 minute hopstand at 90°C (16 IBU)
  • 36g Mosaic Lupomax 20 minute hopstand at 90°C (16 IBU)
  • 70g Simcoe Dry hop
  • 70g Citra Dry hop
  • 64g Mosaic Lupomax Dry hop
  • I am using a packet of Coopers Yeast from a Canadian Blonde can and a Mexican Cerveza can.

Full mash tube.  I love that those little flecks of black and dark brown make the wort turn into a lovely black coffee colour

IMG_4461.JPG.ed25e63ccf08ab6d1934cc61820e30c0.JPG

See.  Here it what it looks like well into the mash.

IMG_4462.JPG.1adfd8c5e2290145af81ffdf9307ac12.JPG

Transferring to my Coopers fermenter which is perfect for a 23 litre batch that needs a big dry hop later.

IMG_4463.JPG.8a13b625af5fc434291bd950b69f3502.JPG

• Like 13

34 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

7.1% ABV; OG Predicted: 1.075 Actual: 1.077; FG Predicted: 1.021; EBC 67; IBU 74; BU/GU Ratio 0.98; Target volume 21.5 litres, but actually got 23 litres.

This was a nemesis beer for me.  About the only batch where I tipped the whole lot down the sink (apart from the 2-3 bottles I managed to drink).  It was my 5th all-grain brew about 4 years ago.  Probably a challenging beer for a novice brewer.  Not really sure what happened that time.  It did not seem to convert.  I had a massively stuck sparge.  In hindsight, the mash probably did not flow very well either.  The beer tasted very powdery, as if it had flour suspended through the beer.

Today's brew day went much smoother.  Experience made the world of difference.  I added a few handfuls of rice hulls.  Slowed the flow of the recirculation down using the recirculation tube tap.  Stirred the mash 3 times during the mash.  The only concerning thing was the Mosaic Lupomax hops smelled very bland.  Very annoying as they were a freshly opened bag I bought only a few weeks ago and I stored them in the freezer.  Instead of dry hopping with these hops, I might sub-in something else.  The Simcoe, bought at the same time from the same supplier, were fine.

The original recipe called for a Step Mash: 50°C for 30 minutes, 68°C for 60 minutes and 75°C mash out for 10 minutes, so I just followed this.

The amounts are a bit specific because it was to use up some leftovers.

• 3.55 kg Barrett Burston Victoria Pale Ale
  • 1.90 kg Munich Malt
  • 1.41 kg Vienna Malt
  • 410g Dark Crystal Malt
  • 260g Carafa Special II
  • 260g Chocolate Malt
  • 150g Acidulated Malt
  • 21g Magnum 60 minute boil (26 IBU)
  • 53g Simcoe 20 minute hopstand at 90°C (17 IBU)
  • 44g Citra 20 minute hopstand at 90°C (16 IBU)
  • 36g Mosaic Lupomax 20 minute hopstand at 90°C (16 IBU)
  • 70g Simcoe Dry hop
  • 70g Citra Dry hop
  • 64g Mosaic Lupomax Dry hop
  • I am using a packet of Coopers Yeast from a Canadian Blonde can and a Mexican Cerveza can.

Full mash tube.  I love that those little flecks of black and dark brown make the wort turn into a lovely black coffee colour

IMG_4461.JPG.ed25e63ccf08ab6d1934cc61820e30c0.JPG

See.  Here it what it looks like well into the mash.

IMG_4462.JPG.1adfd8c5e2290145af81ffdf9307ac12.JPG

Transferring to my Coopers fermenter which is perfect for a 23 litre batch that needs a big dry hop later.

IMG_4463.JPG.8a13b625af5fc434291bd950b69f3502.JPG

Bloody Awesome Shamus. It looks great. 👍 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My next brew is an AG chocolate oatmeal stout I am starting to not like the taste of East Kent Golding hops what is a good substitute? I was thinking POR I was looking at some recipes that us fuggles but I don't know much about them

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Back Brewing said:

My next brew is an AG chocolate oatmeal stout I am starting to not like the taste of East Kent Golding hops what is a good substitute? I was thinking POR I was looking at some recipes that us fuggles but I don't know much about them

Fuggles are similar to EKG. I don't make a lot of stouts but when I do its usually with either of those two. I prefer porters and when I make them it's always with Northern Brewer hops. They have a slight minty taste which I like. Never used Northern Brewer in a stout but I think maybe a combo with EKG or fuggles would be interesting.

• Like 5

On 6/22/2024 at 10:07 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Wow mate, sounds like an interesting beer.. dark rich flavours with those fruity hops - totally next level! 😀

p.s. interesting yeast choice also 🤔

Edited by Cheap Charlie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cheap Charlie said:

Wow mate, sounds like an interesting beer.. dark rich flavours with those fruity hops - totally next level! 😀

p.s. interesting yeast choice also 🤔

Thanks CC.

The samples tasted quite chocolatey and not roasty.  It should allow the hops to shine.

I picked the yeasts because it was what I had.  I thought they were the same lager/ale yeast blend, but when I pitched them, the Canadian Blonde was a slightly darker colour than the Mexican Cerveza.  So, maybe they're not the same.  They should be pretty neutral too, so that will go well in the brew.  Also, the total of 14g of yeast was good for this higher ABV beer.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 4

On 6/23/2024 at 7:24 PM, Back Brewing said:

Any other suggestions?

• Like 1

I did an Oatmeal Stout 2 years ago with Pride of Ringwood in a 60 minute boil.  It tasted fine.  Also used Bramling Cross as a steep in that beer.

To a certain degree, with all the strong flavours of a stout, once you boil some hops for 60 minutes, I think it is hard to pick much of a difference.

• Like 6

On 6/25/2024 at 1:55 PM, Back Brewing said:

Any other suggestions?

On 6/26/2024 at 7:56 AM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Bramling Cross

Really good option

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It was cold for 2 weeks, seems to have gone already so Pacific Ale time. I'll use this yeast 
https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/global/products/lalbrew-verdant-ipa

Recipe: Pacific Ale
Style: Australian Sparkling Ale

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size (fermenter): 20.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 7.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 20.5 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
4.00 kg          PALE Schooner(Voyager Craft Malt) (5.0 EBC)      Grain         1          100.0 %       2.61 L        
30.00 g          Galaxy [15.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           2          20.5 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          American West Coast Ale (Lallemand/Danstar #BRY- Yeast         3          -             -             

Mash Schedule: Robobrew Mash and Sparge Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 4.00 kg
----------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, John304 said:

very frustrating brew day with the Brewzilla gen4

Certainly putting me off it.  I cannot understand why there are heaps of YouTubers, who may have got their units complimentary from a supplier, extolling this unit's virtues so much.  My research continues.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Certainly putting me off it.  I cannot understand why there are heaps of YouTubers, who may have got their units complimentary from a supplier, extolling this unit's virtues so much.  My research continues.

It has some excellent features, but stopping the over shoot and then having to turn the pid off to obtain a boil, looking at other forums I’m not alone. @Aussiekraut purchased a rapt thermometer, but why should we 😡

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Brewzilla Gen 4?  What's your verdict?

No mate its not a brewzilla gen 4 I have a 35 litre digiboil with the mash upgrade and I have no problems with it

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 3

Had a good brew day today, did an Ausie lager. Last Sunday spent a couple of hours playing around with the PID settings on the BZ, today during the mash it only varied.03- .05 either way, pretty happy with that 👍

• Like 7

Kellerbier - Unfiltered lager

5.3% ABV; OG Predicted: 1.054 Actual: 1.051; FG Predicted: 1.014; EBC 10; IBU 24; BU/GU Ratio 0.44; Target volume 30 litres, but actually got 32 litres (23 litres concentrated wort, 8 litre top up in fermenter plus 1 litre of yeast starter).

My boss bought me an imported bottle of this ages ago.  It was really nice.  I have meant to make one ever since.  Not sure why it took me so long.  I will give my boss a couple of bottles for him to try. 

Kind of described as a commercially made homebrew.  It is meant to be a bit cloudy.  So I will not use finings in this one.  Having said that, the Czech Lager yeast I am using flocculates out pretty well on its own.  So we will see how cloudy it ends up.

The amounts are a bit specific because some of the grain bill is leftovers.

• 3.08 kg Joe White Vienna Malt
  • 3.06 kg Coopers Pilsner Malt
  • 715g Munich Malt
  • 170g Weyermann Floor-Malted Bohemian Pilsner Malt
  • 315g Acid Malt
  • 37g Perle 60 minute boil (21 IBU)
  • 11g Perle 15 minute boil (3 IBU)
  • White Labs Czech Budejovice Lager WLP802 starter

Starting the fermenter at 10°C and raising it by 1°C each day, then hold at 14°C until almost finished, then diacetyl rest at 18°C.  Slow cold crash once finished.

Boil temperature reached

IMG_4482.JPG.9e18bd04e47387b3f88a386bffb96acc.JPG

Beginning transfer

IMG_4483.JPG.05b381c5697d7f554c69a878686b1c86.JPG

Tucked into the fermenting fridge.

IMG_4484.thumb.JPG.6ca4b428e20820c5bb2b2aa3ec6b5907.JPG

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

5.3% ABV; OG Predicted: 1.054 Actual: 1.051; FG Predicted: 1.014; EBC 10; IBU 24; BU/GU Ratio 0.44; Target volume 30 litres, but actually got 32 litres (23 litres concentrated wort, 8 litre top up in fermenter plus 1 litre of yeast starter).

My boss bought me an imported bottle of this ages ago.  It was really nice.  I have meant to make one ever since.  Not sure why it took me so long.  I will give my boss a couple of bottles for him to try. 

Kind of described as a commercially made homebrew.  It is meant to be a bit cloudy.  So I will not use finings in this one.  Having said that, the Czech Lager yeast I am using flocculates out pretty well on its own.  So we will see how cloudy it ends up.

• 715g Munich Malt
  • 315g Acid Malt

Starting the fermenter at 10°C and raising it by 1°C each day, then hold at 14°C until almost finished, then diacetyl rest at 18°C.  Slow cold crash once finished.

Boil temperature reached

Beginning transfer

Sounds Awesome Shamus,  absolutely love your attention to detail. It is a credit to you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

• 715g Munich Malt
  • 315g Acid Malt

Boil temperature reached

Beginning transfer

That sounds like a nice, malty and sweet beer. 

Does your snub nose not have a thermowell? I see you taped the probe to the FV. Then again, it seems bigger, so it is probably a different model altogether. I like the idea not having to tape things to the FV.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

That sounds like a nice, malty and sweet beer. 

Does your snub nose not have a thermowell? I see you taped the probe to the FV. Then again, it seems bigger, so it is probably a different model altogether. I like the idea not having to tape things to the FV.

This fermenter (an older Keg King 35 litre snub nose) does have a thermowell.  However, I tend not to use it until the temperature has stabilised.  Instead, I use a lump of blue-tac to cover the probe against the fermenter wall.  My theory is, if the probe is in the thermowell, due to the thermal mass of the wort, whether it is trying to heat up or cool down, by the time the wort in the middle of the FV has reached the desired temperature, the outside of the wort will have overshot the set temperature.  Plus this overshooting makes its way to the thermowell and then pushes the temperature fluctuation the other way.  With the probe on the outside, I think the temperature variation will be less.  Not too high and not too low.

• Like 3

Recipe: Let it all STOUT
Style: Australian Strong/Foreign Extra Stout
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size (fermenter): 20.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.061 SG
Estimated Color: 112.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 51.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
2.50 kg          Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC)                  Grain         1          43.0 %        1.63 L        
1.50 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         2          25.8 %        0.98 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          17.2 %        0.65 L        
0.22 kg          Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)                Grain         4          3.8 %         0.14 L        
0.20 kg          Gladfield Dark Chocolate Malt (1300.0 EBC)       Grain         5          3.4 %         0.13 L        
0.20 kg          Gladfield Eclipse Wheat (1400.0 EBC)             Grain         6          3.4 %         0.13 L        
0.20 kg          Gladfield Roast Barley (1450.0 EBC)              Grain         7          3.4 %         0.13 L        
40.00 g          Pride of Ringwood [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min      Hop           8          51.1 IBUs     -             

Mash Schedule: Robobrew Mash and Sparge Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.82 kg
----------------------------

• Like 5